View Diary: Catnip Manor's response to ZenTrainer's call out post (52 comments)

•  But please remember those of us who are on (3+ / 0-)

lap tops at our kitchen or dining room tables. Not in office chairs.

So maybe like the Pootie and Woozle pads, a variety of sizes.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 09:19:07 PM PDT

•  That's a very good idea (3+ / 0-)

Actually, nowadays I do most of my blogging from my bed!  I no longer suffer from swollen ankles because of that little innovation after I ended up in the hospital from kidney failure and a severe gout attack.  I used my office chair to roll myself to/from the bathroom because I couldn't put any weight on my right foot at all, and very little on my left.

I got a Mainstays mobile cart - resembles those bed tables at the hospital but part of it can swivel some and has a small section that stays level (I got a desk lamp for that part, taped it to the level part so it wouldn't fall off).  I also have one of those wire mesh laptop thingys so the one end elevated gets rid of the hot air coming out the bottom of the laptop.

I still have my big computer desk & office chair, etc., but will have to get the PC fixed, entire thing transferred to a larger HD before I can use that old one again, altho it has by far the better graphics, photo, and other programs I used on it with my Wacom Tablet w/pencil, so I just need to make sure I can keep the Windows Office 2000 Professional offline for the various genealogy & graphics projects.

by NonnyO on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 09:45:11 PM PDT

•  Parts of this don't even seem like English to me. (4+ / 0-)

I am not joking when I say it took me 2 years to learn to cut and paste! Tech speak. I barely can keep up.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 09:58:04 PM PDT

•  Oh, I believe you! :-D (3+ / 0-)

First PC...  Fall '01.  Had to be shown the on/off button.

I'd worked on MacWrites in college when they first came out and were installed at the Writing Lab, but that was many, many years before then.  (I was age 41 when I entered college.)  I was even the student worker in charge on Sun. afternoons and ran the antiviral program on all of them.  Several lifetimes of computers between then and fall '01.

I'd used the computers at the public library starting in 2000 when a cousin found living relatives in Norway on a fluke search.  Exchanged massive amounts of genealogy info, but with only an hour I couldn't explore.  Then I had spinal surgery and couldn't do much for most of a year, but still used the library's computers when I could.

First PC... Oh, joy!  I sat and played with the menus.  Knew if I opened and closed them I couldn't do much damage, but at least I could familiarize myself with where things were.

Then I got a scanner that came with a bundled PhotoStudio 2000 program and it had a clone tool (in the shape of a pen/pencil - NOT that horrid blobby clone stamp thing).  I scanned old genealogy photos.  I taught myself to restore old photos.  I very soon overloaded the little 45 GB HD.  Went to something higher, overloaded it with more images and restorations.  Got another scanner I could make photos from old odd-sized negatives, so got chemicals to wash and rinse old negatives, little lingerie hangars with clothespins on to dry them, made pix from old negatives (earliest I can accurately date is from 1940).  Overloaded that HD, went one higher....  [I now want to transfer all that to a new HD with at least 1T + a 1T removable backup HD.  I'm talking seriously huge tif files with high dpi to do good photo restoration or making photos from negatives (tif is a lossless format compared to jpg, altho once restored they can be re-saved to jpg).  Plus making backups on CD and/or thumb drives.  I have much too much work in all of these things to risk losing the images.]

Plus learned how to make my own personalized graphics for a genealogy web site, other graphics.  Colored designs and graphics.  Made seamless background graphics with another graphics program.  Got two different programs to make CD labels (I could use my own graphic designs on those, too).  Downloaded enough fonts I could stock a web site if I knew how to do that; over 7300 at last count on that PC.

I went from zero, straight up the side of a cliff with no lifelines to learn that computer and work on it well within six months.  Only two months into that I did some tentative searches, found new info on a colonial ancestor and got images of old records, etc.  Got my iBook laptop with the genealogy program I like (it only runs on Mac programs), there's a second system to learn right away along with the Windows PC.  Then found other genie info for the three Scandinavian countries, etc. Broke a couple of brick walls, one 45 years old!  Joined genealogy lists and soon had a network of other genie researchers from around the world who loved working on these things, finding documents (images of documents, not just some transcription I didn't know if I could trust or not, so it was exploring new territory every time I visited those sites - and they were free, thanks to the taxpayers in those countries!).

Et cetera and so on and so forth.

This is called immersion learning....  I find out what I need to do and just go with the flow (like figuring out quickly that menu words don't exactly mean anything; they're just a command, so I had to make words mean symbols).

Heck, soon I was saying HD and Gigs and Megs and sounding almost like I knew what I was talking about...!!!  [Well young geeky store clerks were impressed that an old lady with gray hair had all the lingo down.]

;-D

Oh, and in there somewhere I found like-minded people in the political realm and Daily Kos, so I became a political blogger of sorts.  Well, I comment a lot, so I don't know if that qualifies as being a serious blogger.

Jeez.  No wonder I'm so danged tired...!

hahahahahahaj

by NonnyO on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 11:05:05 PM PDT

•  Wow! I am impressed! (3+ / 0-)

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 08:32:11 AM PDT

•  I'm tired from just reading your post. Do you (3+ / 0-)

restore pictures as a business?

7300 fonts? Yee Goddesses! Do things throughly, do you?

Do you declutter and organize all shoeboxes, totes, those bride-wooden-boxes-I forget their name?

Help Senator Warren. Encourage people to co-sponsor her bills, & the bills she has cosponsored. Elect Ed Markey.

by CuriousBoston on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 01:11:17 PM PDT

•  :-D No, not as a business... (2+ / 0-)
              Horace Boothroyd III, ZenTrainer

Just for my own personal use to go with the genealogy research I've been doing off and on for 50+ years, and on a weekly or daily basis since getting my first PC.  Discovering that one function in that one graphics program and figuring out how to use it made the whole thing fascinating for me, so I kept at it.  That led me to the artistic fonts and a couple of the other graphics programs and colorizing them because I'm also an artsy-fartsy and craftsy person.  One is a Viking ship font and I did some nifty genealogy logos with that one.

I used to be a lot neater than I am now (office workers and secretaries need to be super-organized to run the whole organization efficiently - always stay on the good side of the office manager / secretary!).  My extensive personal library overflowed the bookshelves, I don't have room to put more up, so my closets are stuffed with boxes of books, too.  As an insomniac all my life, the way to pass the sleepless hours was to read, read, and read some more, and I ended up with the largest personal library of anyone I know (including a few college profs - and I used some of my own books for research papers in college).

Now I'm lucky if I have piles of paper that represent organized chaos.  Finding things like copies of documents online means a printout..., and going back to see if there's more instead of taking time to file it in the notebook for which it's destined "when I get "a-round-tuit."  [Translation:  Unexpected company is a major intrusion, and don't call and tell me you're coming over without enough advance warning that I can put stuff back on shelves or organize it so you at least have a chair to sit on.  I have a teeny-tiny apartment and one notebook off the shelves makes everything look messy; with many notebooks open and papers stacked, it looks worse.  Of course, putting things away in a box in a hurry means it will be five years before I find it again....]

My personal philosophy involves "must pass on knowledge and help" that I got when I was younger, so I'm on several genealogy lists, three of them are large, very active on a daily basis, and encompass members from around the world and we help find, transcribe, and/or translate documents online (four languages) for others and newbies.  In my old age it keeps me on my toes mentally (so if I'm destined to go senile at some point, at least I should be able to delay it).  I get to pay back the universe for all the help I got when I was younger and still learning about genealogy research and didn't have enough smarts then to be of much help to anyone else (and we didn't have computers for instant communication back then).  I still ask questions, still get assistance with the old languages and such, but now I have enough specialized knowledge in certain areas that I can turn around and help others for a change, so I still feel like a contributing useful member of society in my old age.

Oh... in the category of "stupid things I regret saying" there is this in a conversation with my best friend in the early '80s:  "I don't know why the boss wants me to learn how to use his computer.  It's just a passing fad anyhow!"  [Well, he wanted mailing lists for whatever reason.  I was too busy answering phones at the time and dealing with people to learn his old clunky thing, thankfully.  Compiling mundane address lists is just not artistic enough to mess with according to the creative mindset.]

Ummmm... yeah.  I roll my eyes at my own stupidity back then!  Now... I would go bonkers without access to one of my computers.  I dang near go berserk when there's an electrical power outage...!

:-D  ;-D  :-D  ;-D  :-D

by NonnyO on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 03:26:18 PM PDT

•  Ok, I was in medical documentation when I (0+ / 0-)

was working, and literally took apart the the first PC I got my hands on, the IBM PC.  i think taking it apart was less instrusive than what you do with software!

Do you have books under your bed? I made a table of books, put a cover on it. Closets, hmmm....that would require cleaning out the closets first.

People that saw the medical device files I was responsible for would never guess that my book collection and papers that "I might need", or so and so should see" belong for me. I can find most of the stuff, and have numerous half done efforts at organizing....

Yes! Piles. I try to theme them. Sorta. Sometimes. No printer. This is just-valuable stuff.

A font based on a Viking ship?

I do always have one chair free. The cat insists.

I thought that if you did things so throughly you might enjoy decluttering...

by CuriousBoston on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 05:27:34 AM PDT

• Recommended (151)
  • Community (66)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Environment (43)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Culture (37)
  • Elections (36)
  • Bernie Sanders (34)
  • Memorial Day (31)
  • Labor (28)
  • Media (27)
  • Education (26)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Spam (23)
  • GOP (23)
  • Economy (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site