View Diary: FIGHTING BACK Against NSA Surveillance - Small Independent ISP in Utah Does What Other ISPs Won't (141 comments)

•  He has a certain cross appeal (6+ / 0-)

that I don't think some local Dems recognize. The guy that won convention last time was a bit too superficially slick for my tastes. Some strong national attention and support, especially in the current circumstances, could be useful.

•  Ashdown seems a bit too naive, to be honest (2+ / 0-)
      dadoodaman, ballerina X

Not on this issue, but in trying to go full-progressive in Utah politics. I think he could do well with a "stop the feds from spying on us" campaign theme, but I don't think he'll do that well in another Senate race. Maybe against Mike Lee or an open seat. But remember, this is Utah.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 10:16:49 AM PDT

•  Well at least he's not a shipped in (0+ / 0-)

over groomed spokesmodel from California like Howell. i was completely ambivalent about that candidate. He was a ton of nothing. ;^)

•  I thought Howell was decent (0+ / 0-)

At least for a Senate candidate in Utah in the year of Romney.

I thought both Ashdown and Howell weren't the best candidates we could have had for Senate though. Matheson might have been, but honestly he should just go for Governor.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 11:22:59 AM PDT

•  It would be hard for a blue dog to win (3+ / 0-)
        Zinman, high uintas, markthshark

a senate seat here.

What I liked about his campaign is that put our values out there in the market of ideas, and promoted them.

As a successful entrepreneur, he has more credibility than most.

The reason the 1% is so powerful is that 99% of the 99% has a sleeping sickness. ☮ ♥ ☺

by Words In Action on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 11:08:30 AM PDT

•  It's money and support (4+ / 0-)

I thought there would be more momentum for a second run, but that was severely lackluster.  I'd need 100,000 people to commit $10 in the first day to even consider doing it again.

I ran against PACs last time and got severely burned for it.  My opponent made accepting PAC money a centerpiece of his convention speech, and when the crowd cheered, I felt like the loneliest guy in the room.

Watching from the sidelines, I am happy to cheer on Senator Warren, but I continually ask myself if I'd be in my own private circle of hell back there unable to get anything done.

•  Just think about it this way... (1+ / 0-)
            ballerina X
            That "circle of hell" evanesces s little more with every progressive congress critter.

One lone vote such as your own (if you were indeed serving in Congress) is not only important to holding/gaining majorities, bringing tech/business savvy to the floor debates, and setting the congressional agenda.

It's also one more vote that essentially cancels out a teabagger's vote.

I know this community (or I know at least a good chunk of this community) would support you if you ran again.

I know I would.

'Cuz freedom can't protect itself ~~ EFF ~ EPIC ~ ACLU

by markthshark on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 05:30:21 PM PDT

•  Pete, would you consider helping state legisator (0+ / 0-)

candidates with money or online/real life support? Could be less hard on you than running for the Senate, and might be more helpful for progressives on the local (Utahn) level. It'd certainly make the situation in Utah less bleak.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 11:48:55 PM PDT

•  I do. (1+ / 0-)
              Gygaxian

XMission has a policy of donating websites to any candidate (regardless of party) for the duration of their campaign, because I believe communication is essential for democracy.  I also donate heavily to candidates whom I believe in, as I know how hard it is to raise money.

•  Excellent, thanks! (0+ / 0-)

That's incredibly helpful, since many candidates in Utah (especially Democratic ones) don't even have a website.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Thu Jul 11, 2013 at 10:18:25 AM PDT