View Diary: My call out diary -- Navy Doctors at GITMO (34 comments)

•  Gitmo is an isolated outpost... (4+ / 0-)

...the only place more isolated would be aboard a ship at sea. I can't answer directly for these doctors, but they've probably been ordered to keep these men alive.

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 10:19:04 PM PDT

•  I just went searching around the 'net so (11+ / 0-)

NSA could watch what I thought was important tonight. ;-D

Anyway, it seems that an illegal order need not be obeyed.

So, now it turns upon how "legal" an order is to force feed an inmate?

Another question came to mind?  Are doctors (officers) doing this?  Or are nurse (corpsmen / enlisted) doing it?  Officers have a bit more discretion in their oath than enlisted men.

If it is illegal (US law, UCMJ - Uniform Code Military Justice, or International law / treaties), then to issue the order is also criminal.

At any rate, it seems a fools game.  Obama standing in the cell where Nelson Mandela spent many years of his life while force-feeding goes on under his command in Guantanamo is one of the most ridiculous juxtapositions yet. I guess he cannot see the conflicting messages?

by YucatanMan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 10:24:20 PM PDT

•  Saw that picture too. Must be some kind of an act (9+ / 0-)

I am getting a bit weary of hearing how the commander in chief can't control the military at Gitmo.

You have exactly 10 seconds to change that look of disgusting pity into one of enormous respect!

by Cartoon Peril on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 10:53:15 PM PDT

•  Is it the military...? (4+ / 0-)

Or the corporate mercenaries who are in charge at Gitmo?  I remember hearing an addition to Gitmo was built by Halliburton.

Ever since I heard about that horror of a place, I've paused to seriously wonder:  Why do we never hear about soldiers going to or coming home from Gitmo so their local communities can throw big parties for them, etc....?

Soldiers come and go, but no one who is in active duty or national guard military comes and goes from Gitmo.  Or, at least no one who will admit to service there goes off with huge fanfares or comes home to their local communities to be feted and lavished with love like the ones who went to or came home from Iraq or Afghanistan.

We don't hear much about the commanding officers with the authority at Gitmo.  We don't hear about the regular soldiers who are allegedly stationed at Gitmo.

So... who's running the show at Gitmo?

by NonnyO on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 12:42:28 AM PDT

•  They justify it by calling them terrorists (8+ / 0-)

Despite the fact that many are just Gay men sold to the US for the bounty.

•  I admit, I had to think about your comment for (8+ / 0-)

a second.

Yes, many men who were accused of being terrorists were simply enemies of someone who wanted the bounty $$$ that the US was offering without a smidgen of proof for anyone who'd turn in an annoying neighbor or local outcast.  Hell-of-a-lot of justice in that.

Obama is holding onto George W's ill-gotten gain for what?  The majority of the final, what is it now, 180? men being held are not known to have participated in anything at all against the United States.

And, for what it is worth, we invaded Afghanistan. Anyone who fought to defend their country against foreign invaders is not automatically a "terrorist."   The Bush administration and the gung-ho military/CIA invasion made no qualms about simply sweeping people up and imprisoning them to show off their manhood.

Obama's lack of desire and inability to "look back" is what is causing him many problems today.  If he'd applied a critical eye to the policies of the past administration, he could have saved himself a lot of grief over many things.

by YucatanMan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 11:21:05 PM PDT

•  Heh. Heh. Heh. (0+ / 0-)
        I guess he cannot see the conflicting messages?
        He makes his own reality now.  Haven't you heard?  He's prez and self-appointed CiC, same as Dumbya.  The way I read the Constitution, a prez is only CiC "when called."  He doesn't have to be asked to be CiC since the Constitution has the civilian authorities in charge of the military and only Congress has war powers and only Congress can authorize money for wars up to two years.
        Article II, Section. 2.
        The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States...;
        [my bold]
        The AUMF they passed that gave Dumbya something like limited war powers against a little gang of international criminals hiding in the mountains in another country is (IMHO) - ta da!!! -  Unconstitutional.  Congress has no authority to give up their war powers.  There is nothing in the Constitution that provides for them to give up their war powers or the power of the purse.  Unless the MIC &/or corporations &/or banks & Casino Wall Street are running the nation in the dim recesses of these "secret" government rules and laws and opinions, there was NO reason for them to have bowed down before the little dictator and his puppet master.  Our Cretinous Congress Critters owe us some heavy apologies for being doormats for the Repukes and the corporations, banks, and Wall Street (whose asses they are still kissing).

It infuriates me when ignorant bastages say "election's coming and we're electing a new commander in chief."  NO.  We elect a president.  More precisely, we elect electors to vote for the president, but they could actually vote in the other guy if they wanted to (we do not have a direct democracy; if we did, our votes would be the end of the election process - to do that would require a change in the constitution).  Still, even when the electors do the voting, that's not electing a commander in chief who serves "when called."  That's electing a president.

by NonnyO on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 12:33:23 AM PDT