View Diary: New anti-gay group breaks from Boy Scouts, will bar 'waving rainbow flags' (73 comments)

•  Who Are These People? I Was A Boy Scout (17+ / 0-)

and it taught me a love for the outdoors I still enjoy to this day. I assume Troops vary by area, but when I was a member I didn't even realize it had "Christian" values. It was just a place where I went to go camping, hiking, fishing.

•  The whole 'Christian' values... (14+ / 0-)

kinda came later.  It is true that many churches had affiliated scouting groups for quite sometime.  And there are certain badges and honors that one could earn based upon their religion.  But, somewhere along the way, they decided to be exclusive.  An atheist scout didn't want to recite on of the pledges because of a reference to God.  The scouts sued and claimed that it was a religious organization.  And they started losing members.  So the Catholic Church and the Mormon Church came swooping in with their money.  And now the organization is beholden to those institutions.  And it is still losing members.  Kinda sad, really.

'Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost' - Ronald Reagan, Communist

by RichM on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 01:35:21 PM PDT

•  I Was A Scout Back In The 70s (7+ / 0-)

and I didn't realize any of what you just mentioned. It was about as apolitical or religious of any organization I was a part of. It was a wonderful group I was apart of. I mean I was the short overweight kids that was maybe a little feminine and nobody seemed to care in the least.

•  I was a scout too... (6+ / 0-)

Through our Catholic Church.  Actually received a badge that was for 'Catholics'.  But scouting was not religious per se - I don't even think there were any prayers during the meeting and I think our troop had non-Catholics.

by RichM on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 01:43:41 PM PDT

•  ending of every meeting (0+ / 0-)

Ending of every meeting:

"May the Great Scout Master,

Who watches over all good Scouts,

Watch over us and guide us,

Until we meet again"

I am an Eagle, I too gained a lifetime love of the outdoors via this organization, and I strenuously object to the Fundamentalist direction it was hijacked into.

"I want us to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as she (Christina Taylor-Greene) imagined it." President Obama

by guavaboy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 08:41:33 PM PDT

•  At the same time scouts couldn't hold meetings (4+ / 0-)
        hnichols, RichM, The Marti, wasatch

in public schools.

I attempted to be a scout leader a couple years ago and the scouts are a hollow shell of the former organization.

•  My troop met in a public school (3+ / 0-)
          207wickedgood, Oh Mary Oh, akze29

Wonder when the rules changed or if the change was due to a locality prohibiting it because of the BSA's discriminatory practices.

I was a scout from 1963 to 1966 or so. My troop met in the elementary school I had graduated from; from what I recall other local troops also met in public schools. Of course this was New York City in the mid-1060's. My troop was about 75% Jewish (about like my neighborhood). Nobody gave a rat's ass whether you believed in God or not and while the concept of out gay teens would have struck us as incomprehensible I have no doubt that some of my fellow members--besides me of course--grew up to be gay and I don't doubt that some of them at least had an inkling (I did not). I don't remember ANYONE denied membership.

•  Mormon church and BSA connection (4+ / 0-)
        webranding, The Marti, wasatch, Oh Mary Oh

Goes way back to 1913. In fact, this year is the centennial for their partnership.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 02:01:47 PM PDT

•  Boy Scouts aren't Christian... (4+ / 0-)

but the official movement worldwide as well as in the United States is religious. Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting felt that no young man could reach his full potential without having a relationship with God, but he had encountered enough non-Christians in India, Pakistan and Africa that he didn't believe that Christianity is the only way to understand God.  Except in a few troops sponsored by more exclusivist religions, boys are supposed to be free to have allegiance to God in a wide variety of ways, from adherence to a particular faith tradition, to Native American or even Pagan spirituality, to a poorly-defined, lower-case agnosticism, on the order of "I know from nature there must be a god, but I don't have a clue about his/her/their/its nature.

Militant atheists, on the other hand are still excluded from Scouting worldwide.

The Scout Law (trustworthy, loyal, helpful...) is a GREAT liberal manifesto.

by DaytonMike on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 02:53:08 PM PDT

•  You are what's broken in Scouting. (3+ / 0-)
          skrekk, Mark Noel, unclebucky

You're the spitting image of these freaks talking about how they just want to reject "militant homosexuals", and you're incorrect about Scouting around the world.  The difference is that the prejudices you espouse are still accepted by many in the US.

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:39:22 PM PDT

•  I was part of a Cub Scout den based at a (2+ / 0-)
        JeffW, Cassandra Waites

Methodist church in the early 80's for a little while.

No one even cared that I wouldn't say the pledge of allegiance.  I got more shit for that at school than in the Scouts.

Only about half the den was associated with the Church.  The Church was just the sponsor.  The den mother didn't even go to that church, and wasn't even Methodist.

The LDS have a very very different outlook.  Every boy is expected to be involved in Scouting.  It's integral to all of their youth programs and goes hand in hand with the different stages of the Priesthood conferred on members.

It's not just something they sponsor - it's a functional part of their Church.

by JesseCW on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:28:49 PM PDT

•  do my duty to God and my country... (5+ / 0-)
      hnichols, RichM, webranding, The Marti, wasatch

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 01:49:37 PM PDT

•  Be Square and Obey the Law of the Pack. (1+ / 0-)
        JeffW

I still do. I swear it. The Pack, The Pack.

Alpacas spit if you annoy them. So don't do that.

by alpaca farmer on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:27:54 PM PDT

•  Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, (1+ / 0-)
        TrueBlueMajority

courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

And hungry, we always added.

Fifty years, and I can still reel them straight off.

Well, I can also sing Tom Lehrer's song The Elements.

And his scouting song, Be Prepared.

Can you doubt that he would have updated it, thus?

If you're looking for adventure of a new and different kind,
        And you meet another Boy Scout who is similarly inclined,
        Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared,
        Be prepared!

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 12:05:35 PM PDT

•  They're hijackers. (0+ / 0-)

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru