Skip to main content

View Diary: Fracking in California must not be regulated. (113 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Your statement about no permits being required (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Senor Unoball, 6412093

    in California for oil and gas wells is contradicted by information available here:

    California oil and drilling information below from
    permit issuing authority FAQ:

    Permitting Questions

    19. What permits are needed to drill a well in California?

    Usually, two permits are needed to drill a well in California. You need a use permit from the local agency such as the city or county, and you need a drilling permit from the Division. In many counties, most wells drilled in existing oil or gas fields do not need a local-agency permit, so only a Division permit is required. In other counties, use permits are required and can be obtained from the planning department.

    20. What other agencies issue permits for drilling wells in California?

    Depending on where a well is drilled, besides permits from the local agency (city or county) and/or the Division, permits may be needed from the Bureau of Land Management (for wells located on federal land), the State Lands Commission (for wells located on state-owned land), or other agencies such as the Reclamation Board.

    21. How long does it take to get a drilling permit?

    The Division issues most drilling permits within a week. By law, the Division must respond within 10 working days or the permit is automatically approved. Use permits from local agencies can take longer, depending on the local agency, and the level of environmental review required. For Kern County, the Division acts as CEQA lead agency, and wells drilled outside administrative field boundaries may require 30-60 days to permit.

    The problem is not that no permit is required.   The problem is that the permit process does not incorporate any public participation procedures or notices to the public or adjacent landowners before a permit is issued.   No public notice, comment and participation are indeed very bad.

    Here's more....

    23. What kind of well work requires a permit?

    Following is a list of the Notices of Intention required by the Division and the kind of well work to which each applies.

        A. Notice of Intention to Drill New Well (Form OG105)

            1. Drill a new well.

        B. Notice of Intention to Rework Well (Form OG107)

            1. Redrill or deepen an existing well.

            2. Convert from one well type to another (i.e., oil and gas to steamflood).

            3. Any change in the mechanical condition of the well such as:

                a. Mill out or remove casing or liner.

                b. Run and land liner or inner liner.

                c. Run and cement liner or inner liner.

                d. Cement off existing perforations.

                e. Reperforate existing perforations.

                f. Perforate casing in a previously unperforated interval.

                g. Install sand control devices such as screens.

                h. Run and cement casing or tubing.

                i. Set any type of permanent plug.

                j. Set any type of bridge plug.

                k. Drill out any type of permanent plug or bridge plug.

                l. Repair damaged casing by means of cementing, placing casing patch, swaging, etc.

                m. Relocating the packer of an injection well.

        C. Notice of Intention to Abandon Well (Form OG108)

            1. Plug and abandon a well.

        D. Supplementary Notice (Form OG123)

            1. Significant changes occur to operations proposed in the original notice.

            2. Reabandon any well.

            3. Request an extension of time for performing the above operations.

    I do note here that no element of that addresses hydraulic fracturing or its authorization.  I don't know without doing a detailed review whether the rules require that the permit cover an authorization for hydraulic fracturing or not.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (131)
  • Community (61)
  • 2016 (46)
  • Elections (38)
  • Environment (35)
  • Media (35)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (33)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (28)
  • Barack Obama (28)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Culture (24)
  • Economy (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Bernie Sanders (18)
  • Spam (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site