View Diary: How To Win: Raising money for populist candidates (59 comments)

•  Hugh - I don't think your comment answers my (0+ / 0-)

question. I pulled a direct quote from your earlier comment where you stated that the Court had ruled that giving financial gifts to candidates was legal. Was that just a mistake in what you wrote?

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:52:02 AM PDT

•  What was quoted? (0+ / 0-)

I'm not understanding.  If you quoted something I said earlier, please quote it again so I can answer it directly.  Thx.

"The fool doth think he is wise: the wise man knows himself to be a fool" - W. Shakespeare

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 10:12:20 AM PDT

•  Hugh - here is a paragraph from your comment (0+ / 0-)

"It is true the supreme court has ruled that the act of giving private financial gifts to holders of public office is legal.  Most people recognize that this ruling is neither just nor good for the nation.  I believe that ruling will be changed in the fullness of time.  Perhaps the inequities we suffer today are necessary to set America on the path to changing an unjust law."

Hugh, my question related to the sentence in bold. What Supreme Court case was that? It certainly wasn't Buckley v Valeo or Citizens United.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 11:05:25 AM PDT

•  Ok - I was inaccurate (0+ / 0-)

OK, I understand better.

You are correct that the sentence is not accurate.  It is congress that has made laws about what private financial gifts can be given to holders and seekers of public office, not the SCOTUS.  As far as I know, those laws have not been challenged such that they have been reviewed by the SCOTUS.

When I wrote that I was thinking of the CU ruling on unlimited financial gifts to political interest groups.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 11:34:40 AM PDT

•  Hugh - thanks for your response (0+ / 0-)

I think referring to legal campaign contributions as "private financial gifts" makes it seem like people are paying cash bribes that go directly into the bank account of the candidate, not the account of the campaign.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 11:45:43 AM PDT

•  Well, that happens too!!! (0+ / 0-)

Indeed, people are giving gifts directly to the candidates and holders of public office (cf Gov. Bob McDonnell, for example).

We hear about this on occasion.  I am sure the instances we hear about are but the tip of a much larger iceberg.

However, that kind of giving is already outlawed, so a change in law is not needed.  Getting the law enforced is another matter, tho'.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 12:33:33 PM PDT

•  When they do give private financial gifts (0+ / 0-)

directly to candidates/office holders it is a crime and the givers and the takers should all go to prison.

"let's talk about that"