View Diary: Ask me anything about Daily Kos (370 comments)

•  Generally my images go up in less than a minute (9+ / 0-)

I try to keep them below 1M. Image sizes above 1M tend to fail to load.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 01:00:46 PM PDT

•  I can't figure out how to get an image from... (4+ / 0-)

...the image library into a comment.

I am 52 years old and still using Word 2003. Any instructions appropriate for me?

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 02:18:55 PM PDT

•  Related to my original question, I mean. NT (8+ / 0-)

by HeyMikey on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 02:19:31 PM PDT

•  At least you found the image library :) (6+ / 0-)
          •  Corollary: how does one do this using an iPad? (3+ / 0-)
            elfling, DeadHead, HeyMikey

The image library requires you to right click (or Ctrl-click on a Mac) on the image to get the URL to put into the link field in a comment.

There is no way to right click using an iPad.

Suggestion: have the image library simply display the image URL. iPads copy and paste just fine.

•  One way is to have a dummy draft diary (1+ / 0-)
              peregrine kate

embed the image into the diary, then copy and paste the code from there.

Bonus: you get the nice caption code as well.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 04:47:08 PM PDT

•  So, (1+ / 0-)
                DeadHead

if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that all of one's images be kept in the form of a personal image library that is maintained in a dummy diary, which can be created when you are working on a computer (rather than an iPad) that allows you to get the link to embed the image in the diary. Correct?

BUT -- many times I'm working on my iPad, and I come across a diary where the comment thread begs for an image that I hadn't previously uploaded (or placed in my dummy diary). So, I go online and find the image. SAME PROBLEM -- I can easily upload the image using my iPad into the image library, but then I can't get the image into either my dummy diary or a comment because I can't get the code, unless I leave the iPad and go to a computer.

Which is why it really, really would be much nicer and easier if the image library provided the link without having to right click. That would be very easy for the DK programmers to do. (Just like youtube gives you the link without a right click.)

Or am I missing something?

•  There's a link to queue an image (2+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead, flitedocnm

into a diary, and then a link to embed that image into a diary. I don't know if that works on an iPad. My daughter got a hand-me-down one from her grandmother :-) so I'll borrow it and try it out.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 05:23:52 PM PDT

•  I can relate to what flitedocnm (2+ / 0-)
                    flitedocnm, elfling

is describing, only on Android-based devices. A plain old edit box with the link would be swell.

Overall, the image library interface has been problematic for me to the point where I've also had to get to a computer to facilitate the image uploading/embedding process, also.

I've had the image library part of the diary draft interface leap out of reach as I scroll down the page, and then back up to its original position as I try to follow it. Kind of like a frog that leaps away just as you try to catch it. ;)

A simplified, bare-bones page for dedicated image library activities, along the lines of what dailykos.com/login provides as an alternative to the pop-up log-in box, would be TRULY liberating for those of us who primarily use mobile devices with quirky OS/browser combos for our Daily Kos activities.

Just wanted to second what flitedocnm was talking about...

Thanks elfling. :)

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:55:10 PM PDT

•  Go to your front window (4+ / 0-)
        HeyMikey, elfling, cosette, crose

yell out for the teenagers to get off your lawn
        and come inside and help you with the dang infernal computer .

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. David Morrison

by indycam on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:00:58 PM PDT