View Diary: An NSA-proof operating system. Yes, for real. (171 comments)

•  I would never indulge. (0+ / 0-)

It isn't - at least in some cases (to which this diary is pertinent) - solely a theory anymore, is it?

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 12:24:16 AM PDT

•  you are going to have clarify (1+ / 0-)
      acerimusdux

what isn't a theory anymore?

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am
      Shop Kos Katalogue or the Parrot gets it

by duhban on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 12:55:50 AM PDT

•  I would humbly suggest you read... (6+ / 0-)

...Snowden's interview in Der Spiegel.

Interviewer: What happens after the NSA targets a user?

Snowden: They're just owned. An analyst will get a daily (or scheduled based on exfiltration summary) report on what changed on the system, PCAPS 9 of leftover data that wasn't understood by the automated dissectors, and so forth. It's up to the analyst to do whatever they want at that point -- the target's machine doesn't belong to them anymore, it belongs to the US government.

I'm making the assumption that Snowden is a.) in a position to know, and b.) without any reason to lie that I can fathom.

Somehow, I get the feeling that your mileage varies...

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:08:19 AM PDT

•  I have read the interview (6+ / 1-)

but that doesn't answer my question

What isn't a theory anymore?

That given enough time the NSA or really anyone can break a system? Well of course but that's like saying that since you could have your house robbed you need a concrete bunker with some land mines.

And I don't put any stock in Snowden's ability to tell the truth not after he sold out to the Chinese and maybe the Russians.

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am
          Shop Kos Katalogue or the Parrot gets it

by duhban on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:14:06 AM PDT

•  The prose I used that your compadre... (5+ / 0-)

..seems to consider CT: in the first paragraph of the diary.  It wasn't prose, actually - pretty much a stolen quote from Snowden.

And you have some evidence that Snowden "sold out to the Chinese and maybe the Russians."?

That's OK.  No need to answer.

Deny.  Deflect.  Minimize.  Personalize.

I'll just take it as a given...

In the meantime - without bringing Snowden into it, which my diary didn't do - there are people here who are in dangerous situations:  activists of various stripes, people in the military or in government service who value progressivism but really don't need to be identified as reading this site (or others).

This diary is for them.  Not for you.  We're already quite well aware of what you think.

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:31:32 AM PDT

•  HRed. Same baseless smear you've repeated (3+ / 1-)
            Jaime Frontero, CroneWit, Lost and Found
            Hidden by:
            acerimusdux

Over and over.

And no. This isn't just your fucking "opinion" or you just fucking "disagreeing."

You and others repeat this bullshit smear over and over.

I've seen YOU, specifically, do this on multiple occasions.

We know how you fucking feel about Snowden, already.

by DeadHead on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:42:53 AM PDT

•  thank you for your insults and abuse of status (3+ / 0-)
              johnny wurster, acerimusdux, sviscusi

I expect nothing else from you

In the time that I have been given,
              I am what I am
              Shop Kos Katalogue or the Parrot gets it

by duhban on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:53:04 AM PDT

•  This is abusive (3+ / 0-)

First off, your HR amounts to ratings abuse.  Duhban was having a perfectly civil on-topic discussion with the diarist.  there was nothing even remotely inappropriate about the comment you hide rated.

Seciond, your comment here IS abusive and disruptive, and serves no purpose here other than to persoanlly attack another user with whom you seem to have a prior grudge.

•  And so you break a rule in the process (0+ / 0-)

Using an HR to punish someone for HRing is HR abuse in itself.

Don't tell me what duhban was doing. I know full well this posters history. He's in every fucking Snowden/NSA diary spouting the same bullshit smears and debunked talking points.

Read my fucking explanatory comment above, for fucks sake.

by DeadHead on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 05:58:49 AM PDT

•  And I don't need a lecture from you about (0+ / 0-)

Being "disruptive," considering the fact I tipped, rec'd and posted to this diary long before you or the person you're defending showed up.

by DeadHead on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 06:02:11 AM PDT

•  Wrong (0+ / 0-)

I've never given anyone an HR for an HR.  Your comment was out of bounds regardless of the rating.

And Duhban's history has no relevance here.

•  Tell me, then (0+ / 0-)

what exactly made my comment HRable? Nothing.

My HR to duhban was for repeating a lie/smear without ANY evidence to back it up, YET again, meaning, I've seen him do the same shit MULTIPLE times.

It matters little, now. Both HRs are irreversible at this point.

Not that I cared about one HR -- it was the apparent reasoning behind yours that bugged me.

by DeadHead on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 03:18:25 AM PDT

•  My reading.... (0+ / 0-)

In general the golden rule of hide rating is "rate the comment, not who makes it".  All of the "you and others" and "I've seen YOU do this" is unhelpful.

Also, while language isn't generally policed here, and you are allowed to use such words as "fuck" and "shit", it does matter how you use them.  To me, such phrases as 'your fucking "opinion"' and 'you just fucking "disaggreeing"', and 'we know how you fucking feel' are insulting, and insults always are HR-able.  The overall tone, and lack of substance, is why I thought the comment out of line.

I'm not defending his opinion that Snowden "sold out to the Chinese", but if he's factually incorrect, I don't think it rises to the level of a well-know previously debunked conservative talking point, either.  If we hid every comment that had a single error of fact, we wouldn't have as much civil discussion as we have here.  If he is deliberately lying, I don't see the evidence of that.

If you had provided a reasoned explanation of what you thought was inappropriate, I would have left it alone.  But your explanatory comment seemed to me to be long on insults and short on explanation.

Simple question, if I rather than duhban had made the above comment, would you have responded in the same way, or would you have enaged civilly and made an attempt to educate me where I was in error?

To me, this just read like a prior personal dispute being brought into a thread where the issue was tangential.  His opinion about Snowden really wasn't the main point here.  And if someone had responded in kind to your comment, I thought it could have been disruptive.  Nothing personal.