View Diary: Justice has already been done for Trayvon (52 comments)

•  I'm not angry with you; (1+ / 0-)
    RainyDay

however, I think you're too easily satisfied.  And the fact that you have to concede this

But it wasn't happening initially, was it?  And wouldn't have, had people not come forward and MADE it happen.
    just goes to show how poorly justice is being served.  I don't see how this advances your argument at all; rather to the contrary.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 04:06:11 PM PDT

•  Then I'd hate to think how you talk to people (1+ / 0-)
      thestructureguy

when you are angry with them.

Okay.  You win.  Rather than taking a measure of satisfaction from what WAS accomplished in this case, if it's a not guilty ve.rdict, I'm going to scream and cry and jump up and down and stamp my feet.  Because at least I'll be proving my bona fides and won't be too easily satisfied that way.

I mean, what's your point?  Of course I won't be satisfied.  But there won't be anything I can do about it, will there be?  So I'm going to accept it, just as I've accepted a zillion other things in life I haven't been satisfied with.  And I'm going to be happy that at least the killing wasn't ignored and his life wasn't treated as meaningless.  You go right ahead and stamp your feet.  In the end, it will be the same.  I just hope that, after the initial disappointment, his parents will be able to adopt my way of thinking of it, as it will definitely make their lives more bearable than will yours.

by gustynpip on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 04:19:51 PM PDT

•  huh? redux (4+ / 0-)
        JoanMar, blueoasis, RainyDay, protectspice
        How can you be satisfied with anything less than justice?  And then you turn around and say
        Of course I won't be satisfied
        so this is in part a problem caused by your rather careless use of language.  In any case, I find this appalling:
        I would never presume to suggest how the parents of a murdered youth should feel, especially because we supposedly had gotten well past the "Well, at least it went to trial" stage in race relations in this country at least two generations ago.

by corvo on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 04:28:08 PM PDT

•  Let's see: "a measure of satisfaction"; (0+ / 0-)

"satisfaction".  Do you not understand that the words "a measure of" actually changes the meaning?  I'd say the problem has been caused partly by your rather careless reading and interpretation and partly by your anger.

You handle the situation the way you chose; I'll handle it the way I chose.  I prefer my way; you prefer yours.  Perhaps we could leave it at that rather than your continuing to have to try and prove that you're somehow superior to me?

by gustynpip on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 04:40:52 PM PDT

•  Last I checked, (1+ / 0-)
            mikejay611

either justice is served, or it isn't.  So I don't understand a "measure of satisfaction" when justice isn't being served.  This isn't horseshoes, you know.

And really, advising Trayvon's parents as to how they should cope with their grief?  You got a degree in counseling or something?

by corvo on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 04:43:01 PM PDT

•  "Justice" (6+ / 0-)

is never an outcome but a process, since the outcome can never wholly be predicted or known, not without pre-jugements that are outside the justice system.

All you can expect when you ask for "justice" is that the process be respected, followed, competent and transparent. You can't expect a particular outcome to = justice.

I think that this the larger point that the diarist is trying to make.

you are arguing that only one outcome = justice and that's the fallacy that so many folks makes about our justice system.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:20:07 PM PDT

•  oh, dear, you said "competent." (0+ / 0-)

Well, if the prosecution had indeed been competent! . . .

You can't expect a particular outcome to = justice.
            Actually you can, given impartial and complete access to the facts.

by corvo on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:37:28 PM PDT