View Diary: Kositarians Strike Again: ODS Quasi-Godwin Attack on the Rec List (174 comments)

•  Here's the thing about all of this... (1+ / 0-)
    Catte Nappe

... the government couldn't do any of this without some form of agreement with the companies who make these devices and the operating systems that run on them.  So if the government can do it, so can Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Cox Communications, Time-Warner Cable, or theoretically anyone with in depth knowledge of Windows, iOS, Android, or Linux.

What makes this argument even more amusing is that there are companies out there that KNOW MORE about you and CARE MORE about what you do than the government.  Why?  Because they want "what's left in your wallet".  These companies routinely buy and sell your information and amass a very complete profile of just about everything you do.  Personally, I find the corporate monitoring (and profiteering) of my personal life more intrusive than the government's collection of the same stuff.

Why?  Because I don't do anything that the government would find "interesting".  However, I do know that companies are interested in how I spent my time and my money and it is in their best interests to figure out how to get me to give them more of both of those things.

So what can you do?

First, if you don't want to get the Stuxnet or Flame viruses (or their variants), don't work at an Iranian nuclear facility.

Second, if you are concerned that "people" are listening to you having sex - 1) don't bring your cell phone into the room your are going to be performing in, 2) take the battery out of your phone if it absolutely positively has to be in the same room as you and your lover(s), or 3) check to see if "there's an app for that" which monitors the state of your cell's microphone and check the app during foreplay.

Third, the government requires that local TV stations broadcast their content over the air - so you could ditch that cable box and those perverts who monitor it today if you wanted to.  Seriously, do you need more than basic cable in the bedroom?

Fourth, you can unplug all of your technology whenever you aren't actually using it.

Fifth, don't by the new XBox - it's ALWAYS watching you (and trying to see if you're happy or sad)

OR, you can understand that all of this stuff has been in development since the mid 1980's and that there isn't jack shit that you can do about it now. Just live your life (and try to be a good person).

Looking through the bent backed tulips, To see how the other half lives, Looking through a glass onion - John Lennon and Paul McCartney

by Hey338Too on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 12:34:37 PM PDT

•  Good grief. (3+ / 0-)

So your idea is that you'll just alter how you live in your own home so you can avoid being surveilled. And I should too.

We'll all resign ourselves to being stay-at-home refugees.

Shall we all wear kneepads as we move about our homes, so we can properly service the Stalkers?

Yeah, it's here; yeah, it's being developed. And yes, it's a threat to freedom. The solution isn't to lick where and when you're told to lick, but to write the laws so this shit stops.

Actual Democrats is the surest, quickest, route to More Democrats

by Jim P on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:20:16 PM PDT

•  You've missed the point... (0+ / 0-)

... I don't alter the way I live because none of this is a revelation to me - and it shouldn't be to anyone these days.  Once I learned how a cellular network worked it wasn't hard to figure out that carrying a cell phone meant the things I did with it were traceable, and the more I did the more "they" knew.  Once I learned how the internet worked it wasn't hard to figure out that using it meant that my actions are traceable, the more I do on it the more "they" know.  It's been that way for both of these technologies since their inception.  So I don't change my life one iota because of the technology I bring into my home, I understand the technology and live with it.

As for passing laws, the genie is already out of that bottle.  There is NO WAY that you are going to tell a company what they can and cannot do on "their" networks without them screaming that innovation (profit, actually) is being stifled.    And when "they" do write laws governing things on the internet, look at the crap they write - crap that limits user's freedom but not that of corporations.  So good luck with that.

by Hey338Too on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 03:46:31 PM PDT

•  And don't ever (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

try and join with your fellow citizens to protest against a government policy because they're listening and will put a stop to that crap before it even gets started!

Unreal.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. - 9th Amendment

by TracieLynn on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:38:02 PM PDT

•  Pretty soon you'll get to see your file (1+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too

The commercial one, not the the FBI one. And I agree that's the one that has all the juicy stuff.

For the first time ever, the big daddy of all data brokers is nearly ready to show consumers their intimate personal dossiers, a move aimed at staving off public fears of Big Brother and government regulation.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 02:16:39 PM PDT

•  Good info... thanks for the link... (1+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe

... still, that's just the tip of the iceberg as it relates to the data being mined.

by Hey338Too on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 02:47:42 PM PDT

•  But even that tip of the berg ... (1+ / 0-)
          Hey338Too

...has more impact than what the NSA might care to know about me.

by Catte Nappe on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 02:51:06 PM PDT

• Recommended (122)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (23)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site