View Diary: Easy steps for protecting your internet privacy (79 comments)

•  Good question (10+ / 0-)

1) If you have Windows then you must have an anti-virus. Simple as that.
    2) I believe there is a real concern about privacy with an anti-virus product, but consider that you are already using Windows and thus have already compromised your privacy by doing so.
       Thus when I install Windows I also install Microsoft Security Essentials and forget about it entirely.
    3) So if you are concerned with privacy, don't use Windows. And if you don't use Windows, you don't need an anti-virus. There are no viruses "in the wild" for OSX and Linux.

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann von Goethe

by gjohnsit on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 08:23:02 AM PDT

•  good advice, thanks n/t (2+ / 0-)
      ridemybike, shaharazade

Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top. ~Edward Abbey

by cosmic debris on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 08:25:57 AM PDT

•  Linux and OSX don't have the user base (7+ / 0-)

that Windows does, so they don't get as much attention from the virus-makers. But they're not virus-proof, and there have been instances of virii spotted "in the wild" that would affect them.

As a matter of fact, Apple was the first company to get really serious about virus detection and elimination - because at one time Apple computers were far more common, and infinitely more vulnerable than MSoft. (Apples automatically mounted and read any diskettes inserted into them, MSoft - I'm talking back in the late DOS era - only read on user command.)

So Apple came up with programs that pre-scanned diskettes before mounting, and spat out - literally - any that they didn't like the taste of.

The next step, and it was soon taken, was to write virus-cleaning programs. And it was a baby step from there to combined virus detector-cleaner programs.

Microsoft copied the idea, of course.

If it's
      Not your body,
      Then it's
      Not your choice
      And it's
      None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 09:20:05 AM PDT

•  Apple changed their OS (3+ / 0-)
        where4art, Jim Domenico, EJP in Maine

OS6 through OS9.x was an awful, awful operating system.
           It wasn't just that there were more of them out there, but that the OS was a terrible piece of sh*t.

Their OS become dramatically better with the invention of OSX, which borrowed heavily from existing Unix concepts.

The only reason you even hear about virus for OSX and Linux is because they are as rare as Jackalope. So any sighting of them becomes talk simply because of the novelty.

Maybe one day virus for OSX and Linux will be as common as they are for Windows today, but those days are very far in the future.

by gjohnsit on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 09:26:52 AM PDT

•  If Microsoft crashes and burns, and either Linux (4+ / 0-)
          CroneWit, gjohnsit, duhban, kyril

or OSX replaces it, the virus-makers will be right on them.

Considering the disaster than is Windows 8 - after the disaster that was Windows Vista, after the disaster that was WindowsMe - Msoft is looking less and less like a sure bet. One more such disaster, or the inability to recoup from this one, and all bets are off.

If it's
          Not your body,
          Then it's
          Not your choice
          And it's
          None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 10:17:00 AM PDT

•  If it wasn't for MSOffice (3+ / 0-)
            Jim Domenico, duhban, EJP in Maine

Microsoft would already be on their way out.

They were very late on both smart phones and tablets (not just 2nd, but 3rd in line behind Apple and Google).

If it wasn't for Office, the huge number of existing applications, and their sophisticated corporate billing structure, they would be in trouble right now.

by gjohnsit on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 10:45:51 AM PDT

•  so 'cause windows sux & viruses aim at it more (1+ / 0-)
      KenBee

I'm on a Ubuntu Linux box and I use Firefox and Libre Office, because this (old) desktop runs 'em and they're free.

I don't chat, though back when I had a job with a laptop I used PSI for that since it let us have our server here in our house.

I don't facebook or myspace but I do google plus 'cause I like being able to watch the Virtual Star Party on Sunday nights and hang out with my kids who live 200+ miles away without spending $200 on gas. Now that Alta Vista's dead, I use Google for searches 'cause Bing is stupid. I want info, not ads.

I follow Fishgrease on Twitter, as well as the National Weather Service and Dr. Bruce Betts, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, a couple authors I read regularly and several NASA accounts.

I"m married to a network specialist and I'm the mother of another one, and theyre both starting to ... nudge ... toward IPV6 (which right now is a little more secure just 'cause it's not as populated. One goody available with it: if we got an account, potentially our household could have more IP addresses than the whole of the Internet now has (IPV4), which would make guessing which one's live a little tougher).

Oh, and I went to that MIT site yesterday .... it was fairly reassuring to find out that my meta-data all still looks like it looked in '07.

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 11:19:17 AM PDT