View Diary: An Open Letter to the George Zimmerman Jury (69 comments)

•  I've already decided (4+ / 0-)

That I'm going to have to start "watching" the local Neighborhood Watch, just to make sure any potential Zimmerheads don't get out of control.

And of course I kind of have this thing about people and their guns, in that I think guns are crutches for people without courage.  This whole affair has not changed my mind about that.

•  Well said (1+ / 0-)
      Lost and Found

White Racist Zimmerman got away with murder.

The trial is a travesty of justice.

Only with more immigration with more progressive immigrant voters can we overturn these racist laws that empower racists like Zimmerman.

•  Hispanic not white (0+ / 0-)

Get it right or don't comment

•  That's disputable but your rudeness is not. (1+ / 0-)
          Progressif
        •  Perception (2+ / 0-)
          Progressif, Lost and Found

He is not a visible minority.  He looks white and that is how he is perceived.

Canadian mother of four, works at Canadian University, blogs and co-host of Blog Talk Radio's "Lies My Country Told Me" with co-host and love of my life, Fred Lemon.

by mmayer on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:49:40 PM PDT

•  He self identified (2+ / 0-)
          Progressif, Lost and Found

as white until he got arrested.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:54:16 PM PDT

•  Sorry (0+ / 0-)

According to CNN, Zimmerman is a White Hispanic-American. Hispanic father and white mother. Using this simple description, Black father and white mother would be POTUS, therefore White African-American. This logic fails on all counts no matter who you would try to apply it to. POTUS is POTUS and that is that.

•  Sorry (0+ / 0-)

Nope, no dice.  George's father wasn't Hispanic, his mother was.  The point is George was not a visible minority and  to suggest that another minority group isn't susceptible to assumptions regarding another demographic population doesn't hold water.  In George's phone call to the police he stated that he felt Martin was "up to no good".  In his written statement, he repeatedly wrote "suspect".  Where did these assumptions come from?  If walking down the street back from the store in the rain is what qualifies as "suspicious behaviour", I think we need to lock up our kids in their rooms and not let them out.  To think it is justifiable to shoot down an unarmed black teenager after following him and explicitly being told not to, something is completely broken and we have lost our way.

by mmayer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:26:40 AM PDT

•  If your going to be rude, at least be accurate. (0+ / 0-)

Also when you rudely tell people to comment or not, perhaps the information you attempt to correct them is accurate.

by mmayer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:41:36 AM PDT

•  Get it Right or Comment???? (0+ / 0-)

And may I ask, who specifically are you?  The comment police?

As for whether George is white or Hispanic, George certainly is not a visible minority.  Considering he has one white parent and one Hispanic parent, this does not make him more Hispanic than white.

by mmayer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:39:11 AM PDT

•  Why don't you join (0+ / 0-)

your local Neighborhood Watch?  Find out what crimes are being committed in your neighborhood, and who is doing them.  You will quickly get your eyes opened . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 11:57:36 AM PDT

•  Why don't you (1+ / 0-)
        lordcopper

So we can now legally shoot down unarmed black teenagers we are following?  That is the legal bar of self defense.  I was afraid, but continued to follow him around?

by mmayer on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 12:55:37 PM PDT

•  actually, although I'm not part of (0+ / 0-)

a "Neighborhood Watch" I do follow neighborhood crime stats (there have been lots of burglaries and car break-ins, quite a few muggings, and several murders over the past decade).  Where there is a description of the perp it is (almost) always the same . . . and he does not look like George Zimmerman.

It might be different in your neighborhood . . . you should try and find out.

And no, here in California you cannot shoot even a known burglar outside your house (unless he has you pinned down and is beating on you . . . then you can).

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 03:26:17 PM PDT

•  Actually... (0+ / 0-)

in Canada, in order to claim self defense, the threat had to be at the very moment.  Very, very hard to prove.  We take principle of imminent threat very, very seriously.

by mmayer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:43:30 AM PDT

•  "at the very moment" (0+ / 0-)

So in Canada Zimmerman's "self defense" defense would have been accepted.  Just as it was in Florida.  Or would have been almost anywhere.  If you believe the multiple witnesses, anyway.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 10:16:02 AM PDT

•  Nope - wouldn't wash (0+ / 0-)

Nope, not if you brought on the situation.  Where is Trayvon Martin's fear taken into consideration?  George Zimmerman followed Martin AFTER he ran away.  This never would have been accepted, nor would it have flown in most other countries.  In fact, this is a travesty of justice. There is a 17 year old kid that's only sin was to be black and apparently unarmed and was killed because George Zimmerman thought he was suspicious.  Since when is walking down the street, in the rain, coming back from the store, in an unfamiliar neighbourhood constitute suspicion? Is it the hoodie that seems to make him a target of George's well honed suspicion meter (it seems that he had the police on speed dial).  If that is the case, then all of my four kids all are criminals because they lived in hoodies.  I forgot, my kids are white, I gather their hoodie wearing habits would have been overlooked.

by mmayer on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 04:19:49 PM PDT