View Diary: Obama's day: Honoring Bush (98 comments)

•  It's completely understandable... (19+ / 0-)

...that, at first, you might not realize from reading this post that the Bushes being welcomed at the White House are George H.W. and Barbara, or for not understanding why the President and First Lady are honoring George H.W. Bush.

After all, by omitting that information, it seems as if the author of the piece doesn't really mind if his/her audience is left with the impression that President Obama invited George W. Bush over to tell Bush that he was the best president ever.

by JamesGG on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 11:24:39 AM PDT

•  The lesson is: always click the links (6+ / 0-)

Thanks.

"If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law." - Henry David Thoreau

by Jason Hackman on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 11:49:10 AM PDT

•  With the dismissive "No further comment" (9+ / 0-)

just to add a little gasoline to the fire.  And deniability for the diarist--"That's not what I meant" when it was of course what s/he meant.

This is the working hour. We are paid by those who learn by our mistakes

by chicago minx on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 12:06:05 PM PDT

•  Please tell us how Poppy is such a great guy (0+ / 0-)

Thanks.

"If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their booze and then vote against them, you have no business being in DC."

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 12:45:30 PM PDT

•  Of course. (6+ / 0-)

Any time we progressives publicly say something nice about something another person has done, or are cordial and friendly toward them, it means that we are endorsing and approving of each and every thing that person has ever done in their entire life.

We progressives should never, ever praise a person for something good they have done, if they have ever done anything bad.

We progressives should never, ever make friends with or even be kind and cordial to anyone who thinks differently from us, or with whom we agree on some issues but differ on others, or who has ever said or done anything that we don't completely agree with.

Right...?

by JamesGG on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:05:15 PM PDT

•  Correct. (1+ / 0-)
          Neuroptimalian

We must never do that. Because someone might make fun of us.

Like in high school...http://www.dailykos.com/...

"The next time everyone will pay for it equally, and there won't be any more Chosen Nations, or any Others. Poor bastards all." ~The Boomer Bible

by just another vet on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:13:42 PM PDT

•  Apologize for the old criminal all you want (0+ / 0-)

But don't bully Dems into agreeing with you.  Most of us have nothing to gain from trying to rehabilitate the man's reputation.  You probably don't either.

Better to spend your time and effort accomplishing something positive, like fixing the economy, creating jobs, protecting consumers, getting affordable health care for all.

Those are worthy pursuits and hanging out with Poppy won't make that happen.

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:20:50 PM PDT

•  Such silliness. (2+ / 0-)
              sewaneepat, Bob Love

No one is bullying you into anything. You're here, elbows jabbing, defending your position that "the old criminal" should have been shunned at the White House today. It's just that almost no one but the diarist agrees with you. Perhaps you should think about taking your own advice.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 05:23:07 PM PDT

•  We progressives? (0+ / 0-)

Do tell.

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:18:48 PM PDT

•  Of course. I'm not a true progressive. (8+ / 0-)

Because I think that we can honor the good things a person does, and be friendly and cordial to them, without discarding our disagreement with other things they did, I'm not pure enough to be a true progressive.

If I were a true progressive, I would shun my Republican parents and siblings and never speak another friendly word to them again, rather than still considering them good, honorable people whom I love but with whom I have political disagreements.

True progressives would never deign to mix with the politically impure, or treat them with anything but disdain or hatred.

by JamesGG on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:28:30 PM PDT

•  Right on. That "Points of Light" program (3+ / 0-)
        chicago minx, StellaRay, sewaneepat

should be shut down, and everyone it's helped should denounce the organization and devote their lives to assisting baby turtles to the sea.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 02:29:40 PM PDT

•  It is quite obvious that (2+ / 0-)
          Bob Love, sewaneepat

Ms. Pinson has no idea of all the children that have been fed through the efforts of the couple being honored today. Or maybe she does, and just feels the need to shit on the whole  thing anyway because Bush hate is always more important than starving children---you know, in the greater scheme of things.

by StellaRay on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 05:26:34 PM PDT

•  I'm Not Convinced (3+ / 0-)
      After all, by omitting that information, it seems as if the author of the piece doesn't really mind if his/her audience is left with the impression that President Obama invited George W. Bush over to tell Bush that he was the best president ever.
      ...that the author of the diary doesn't believe that.

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 12:46:06 PM PDT