View Diary: A Letter From Marissa Alexander - The Battered Woman Serving 20 Years For Firing A Warning Shot (327 comments)

•  She chose to shoot away from him. (1+ / 3-)
    DefendOurConstitution
    Hidden by:
    edsbrooklyn, codairem, Karl Rover

By choosing another direction, she chose to shoot in a direction that might have other people.

She chose to endanger those people with gunfire rather than endanger the abuser who was threatening her right there.

First, we loaded the box with 12 sheets of 5/8 sheetrock, which is also called wallboard in some areas.
     Since it takes 2 sheets per wall, this is the thickness of 6 interior walls.

Why twelve? It seemed like a good number and I thought it might stop most rounds.
     I was about to learn something.

First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the seventh sheet.
     That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls.
     And that's only a .22 pistol.

Long story short, we proceeded to shoot several rounds and they all penetrated all 12 sheets and exited.

Now get yourself a song to sing, and sing it till you're done.

by JayFromPA on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 04:20:19 PM PDT

•  an incredibly flawed experiment (3+ / 0-)

there is more then just sheet rock in a wall there's the framing, the insulation, the wiring etc etc all of which will effect how 'bulletproof' a wall is.

Further even if you were correct about her putting people in danger (and you are not) that shouldn't be a 20 year sentence for trying to defend yourself from an abusive husband.

So really double fail

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am
      Shop Kos Katalogue or the Parrot gets it

by duhban on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 05:46:06 PM PDT

•  I'm not going to do any uprates here, but (4+ / 0-)
      Be Skeptical, duhban, JayFromPA, fuzzyguy

I want to register that the pile-on here against JayFromPA started out fine but has gotten rancid.

This community sometimes almost loses its mind over controversies.

He's not a troll.  He's not defending George Zimmerman.  He's not a racist.

He's trying to make some reasonable points about the danger of firing a gun.  Ordinarily everybody here would agree.

I just read a story within the past week where somebody fired a gun into the air at a 4th of July celebration and the bullet fell back down and killed a child.  That was in the United States, but I don't remember where.

OF COURSE a 20-year sentence is excessive.  But I agree with this ganged-up-on commenter that some criminal conviction was probably appropriate, maybe a 3-month suspended sentence if I were the judge.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.-Bertrand Russell

by Timaeus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 06:19:08 PM PDT

•  My problem with JayfromPa (5+ / 0-)

is that he hijacked the diary and repeatedly posted the same link over and over.

•  But that's not the ostensible and oft-stated (2+ / 0-)
          duhban, fuzzyguy

reason for why he's being nuked.  Do you think he should be banned for that?

P.S. He's an RKBA member, and IIRC, I've tangled with him in the past, at least a bit.  He's not a buddy of mine.  But I'm just registering that I think the attack here is generally wrong.

by Timaeus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 06:36:55 PM PDT

•  Others have their reasons (0+ / 0-)

Mine has to do with hijacking and trolling.
            But to answer your question, I don't think it is sufficient to justify banning. In my opinion banning should be a last resort.

•  And I'm registering (1+ / 0-)
            delver rootnose

that I disagree with you.  I hardly EVER HR anyone, but this guy has hi-jacked this thread, replying to every third poster the same thing he's posted many times here.

Everyone can agree 20 years for this is draconian. The purpose of this diary is to gather support for this woman and that idea,
            and Mr. Sing Your Song has done everything he can to stop that momentum.

He gives lip service to the fact that 20 years is too much, but continues to have more passion for his bullet tests and his need to be right.

This is rude and inconsiderate behavior, any way you slice it.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 06:27:30 AM PDT

•  Meh. (2+ / 0-)
        Karl Rover, duhban

I don't do pile-ons.  While I had originally HR'ed several of his comments to actually hide the spamjacking of the diary, I've removed them since they've drawn additional HR's beyond those needed to keep them hidden.

I also disagree that his point is reasonable.  Firing a gun into open sky and firing through the ceiling of your average home is not comparable.  As people have pointed out, at the very least, such a bullet is going to have to go through multiple layers of plywood, in addition to sheetrock and roofing tiles, all of which would absorb serious amounts of kinetic energy.

His stated preference was also for her to have actually shot the man in question.  She stopped him without injuring him (or anyone else) which seems a highly preferable outcome to me to yet another gun death.

•  OK, I appreciate that. (0+ / 0-)

I don't know enough about the house, or where it was, to give any opinion.

by Timaeus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 07:25:42 PM PDT

•  But don't bullets often pass clean through people, (1+ / 0-)
      Neuroptimalian

... too?

Calling other DKos members "weenies" is a personal insult and therefore against site rules.

by Bob Johnson on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 07:59:15 PM PDT

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site