View Diary: GUS: Open Thread with Hawt Recipes (73 comments)

•  94 Freakin' Degrees (9+ / 0-)

With Feels-Like near to over 100 for the next four days.

I actually had to water a bit yesterday, which is rare.  Except for the pots, which do require water regularly.

And naturally we get this weather just after I transplanted a whole bunch of Melampodium with minimal root mass.  They're fine, amazingly, but that stuff is incredibly durable to heat and dry, and I'm damping them every evening to get them to adjust.  A few are starting to bloom already!

(-6.38, -7.03) Moderate left, moderate libertarian

by Lonely Liberal in PA on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 07:38:35 AM PDT

•  Yeppers -- miserably hot here (8+ / 0-)

in the northern region of CT.  I fear the plants at the lake are dead -- if no one bothers to water them.  Hopefully the morning glories and moonflowers survived.  They tend to be pretty hardy.

I'm watering 2x a day all the veggie plants on the porch.  The up side of the heat is that they are really taking off.  I've been eating the lettuce regularly and have lots of basil for my pasta.  Only small green tomatoes but there's a zillion coming out of just two plants.  Always have to wait for August anyway.

Had to look up melamodium -- pretty plant!

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 07:46:27 AM PDT

•  Morning Glories (7+ / 0-)

should be just fine.  Moonflower I'm not sure about.  It's viny enough that you gotta think it has deep root mass.  But you'd think the same of clematis and be wrong about that...

And yep, the heat really does accelerate the biology of the plants!  Stuff that had slumbered through June is rocketing up and blooming like mad in July!

Really, the only veggie I do is ornamental eggplant (AKA Easter Egg Plant), but those are all doing the same thing...I've got little white chicken eggs forming everywhere on them, and they're soon to start turning bright yellow.

(-6.38, -7.03) Moderate left, moderate libertarian

by Lonely Liberal in PA on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 08:10:47 AM PDT

•  I've had to water the moonflower (7+ / 0-)

that is climbing the fence behind my apartment (the morning glory also) only because they are in pots.  The morning glories and moonflowers at the lake are both in pots and coming out of the ground -- re-seeded from last year.  Oh, well, nothing I can do.  My buddy will be up for the weekend so he can assess the damage.

I'll be at Tanglewood on Saturday for Act 3 of Die Walkure!  Can't wait.  We are bringing cold stuff for dinner on the lawn first.  I'm thinking of making a cold red pepper soup and some potato salad.  My buddy will get scrumptious chicken salad from Whole Foods -- he's not into cooking anymore.

by gchaucer2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 08:25:13 AM PDT

•  I wanted to put in morning glories... (4+ / 0-)
            gchaucer2, GDbot, anodnhajo, flumptytail

...but I missed the window for it this year. Maybe next?

Tanglewood, how fun! Hope the weather is wonderful for you.

"The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark. It scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark." - Elvis Costello

by Vacationland on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 11:03:10 AM PDT

•  When I collect my pods (4+ / 0-)

I'll send you a bunch.  They are so easy to germinate.  I'm also stealing pods from a gorgeous white with lavender morning glory growing on a fence at an abandoned property.

We can kosmail for address details in the Fall.  Right now, I'm taking a peroxide bath after trying to get Bitch Face back in the cardboard box.

by gchaucer2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 11:37:42 AM PDT

•  Bitch Face + Boxes = Ouch (2+ / 0-)
                anodnhajo, flumptytail

I'd be most grateful for any seeds! I make no promises about not killing them, but please know that any morning glory-cides were inadvertent.

by Vacationland on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 11:34:18 AM PDT

•  According to Yahoo (8+ / 0-)

it's 72 degrees here...

Last week was all 90s and 100+ days!

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. Ben Franklin

by nokkonwud on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 08:35:01 AM PDT