View Diary: OH SNAP! The Smackdown Will Commence Shortly (175 comments)

•  I am confused on a point, (5+ / 0-)

do you know the answer?

Are you allowed to participate in the exchanges if your employer offers insurance, but you choose not to accept it?

Because my employer offers junk insurance, I "have" health insurance, but I can't afford to use it to get health care.

"It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." Oscar Wilde, 1891

by MichiganGirl on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 09:28:26 AM PDT

•  No (4+ / 0-)

There was a big fight over that in the Senate back then.

Activists wanted to allow people to buy from the national exchange (later state exchanges were added to the mix) but it was changed to only allow employed people to go to exchanges if their employer refused to provide insurance.  Not the best for consumers/employees, and it would have helped keep a lid on costs, but its what Baucus and Obama wanted.

This is also the tough part about delaying the mandate past 2014.

The whole thing keeps getting more and more complex every day, such a shame.

"If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their booze and then vote against them, you have no business being in DC."

by Betty Pinson on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 09:39:19 AM PDT

•  Actually it's getting clearer that it's simpler (1+ / 0-)
        mdmslle

and more efficient than what we had.  Baucus and Obama didn't drive this solution, people with employer-provided insurance drove it.  Check the polling on that exact point- government insurance was not what working people wanted, they did NOT want to lose the only perq they still had.  Blaming Obama and Blue Dogs is part of why it appears complicated.  You and I might love Single-payer, 80% of working Americans didn't want that shit at all.

by I love OCD on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:28:16 PM PDT

•  One part of the ACA (6+ / 0-)

is that ALL insurance offered will have minimum standards and will be required to include certain coverage.
      'Junk' insurance will not fulfill the requirements.
      But to your original question;  in my understanding is that if your company offers you coverage and you have to pay for it and you still cannot afford it you can be exempted from fines/penalties for not participating. I'm not sure if you'd qualify though for coverage from the exchanges at this point. You might though qualify for federal tax credits to help you pay for it. Again...this is only my understanding.

FORWARD! Obama/Biden 2012

by Esjaydee on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 09:45:34 AM PDT

•  All I know is that before the ACA, (5+ / 0-)

we had what was considered a "Cadillac" insurance plan, the healthcare laws changed, the company was scared of being taxed for providing it, so now we have junk insurance, and I can no longer afford to get my epilepsy treated.

I can't drive anymore, because I can't afford the testing, or the meds. You have no idea how hard that is when you live in a rural area with no public transport.

It is frustrating to say the least. :-(

by MichiganGirl on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 10:03:32 AM PDT

•  My understanding is that your employer is (2+ / 0-)
          I love OCD, mmacdDE

required to pay a certain percentage. If they don't you can go get it yourself.

MichiganGirl, check here https://www.healthcare.gov. They even have a live chat module that will pop up after about 15 seconds or so. The people are very knowledgeable and friendly and the site is intuitive. If they cannot answer your question directly, (like when I needed by question answered) they will bump you up" to the next level "advanced resolution" and someone will actually call you on the phone. I think you won;t need that, though. You question is pretty basic and probably pretty common.

•  Lefty blogs did a fair job (4+ / 0-)

the problem is that most of them were not that focused on health care reform (why? they should have been).  Also, any progressive who was an informed health care reform advocate found themselves in the position of having to criticize the WH and Dem Senate leadership for some of their decisions.  The resulting pushback drove most of the real experts on ACA out of Dem blogs and forums, probably intentional.  That happened here.  Those activists who stuck around stopped talking about ACA, because it always turned into a screamfest.

In addition, once the law was passed and sent to the exec branch for rule-making, many changes were made to the law and details added, some good, mostly neutral or bad.  The process was overseen by a woman named Liz Fowler, and insurance industry executive hired by Baucus and later, Obama.  She wrote many rules and made changes that changed details - some of which are still coming to light.

So, yeah, our own progressive community  is responsible for not educating everyone about all the ACA changes to date.  It just became too unpopular to talk about.

by Betty Pinson on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 09:52:37 AM PDT

•  Not my experience, Betty. Mine was here on DK (2+ / 0-)
        mdmslle, mmacdDE

and it was and is crystal clear that mentioning Obamacare is an invitation to get dumped on by kill the billers.  No PO!  Insurance Company giveaway!  Too complicated!  Too many tweaks we don't understand but fear!

It's FAR from perfect but if we progressives could hold on tight and let it educate the populace we stand a damn good chance of getting real reform before mid-Century.

by I love OCD on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:33:56 PM PDT

•  You CAN use the exchange! (2+ / 0-)
      mdmslle, Fury

Here's the relevant page: LINK!

To be eligible for health coverage through the Marketplace, you:

- must live in the United States
      - must be a U.S. citizen or national (or be lawfully present)
      - can't be currently incarcerated

Now, I don't know if you'll get subsidies or not, and I don't know the new rules about "junk insurance". IIRC, though, they have to offer a certain level of coverage or they aren't satisfying the mandate. Whether or not that means you get the discounts or not, I do not know.

The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them. - Albert Einstein.

by Cvstos on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:18:42 PM PDT

•  Your employer provided health care will (3+ / 0-)
      mdmslle, Fury, mmacdDE

change because whoever is offering it can't sell junk insurance anymore and must tell you every detail of the plan in clear language.  This also gives your employer the ability to select the best, cheapest coverage for his/her company because the fine print issues are over.  Everyone wins.  Women can't pay more cuz they're women.  There's no slice and dice on pre-existing conditions that funnels you into catastrophic coverage only.

by I love OCD on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:22:04 PM PDT

•  My understanding is: yes, if (2+ / 0-)
      mdmslle, Tam in CA

--if the employer coverage doesn't meet the minimum Federal standards, OR if it doesn't qualify as "affordable" for you.

The alternative would be ludicrous -- employers could offer expensive junk coverage, even coverage no one would choose to buy, and that would both get the employer off the hook and prevent the employee from buying anywhere else? I don't think so.

I have asked that question in multiple places (like official websites) and that's the answer they always give me. I have access to coverage sometimes (depends on how many courses I teach per semester, so maybe three months a year I can get it through work), but it's always expensive. I've been told that yes, I can go through the exchange instead.

I'll find out for sure when I try to sign up this fall, but for now, I'm taking "yes" as the answer.

•  He was very clear that junk insurance (0+ / 0-)

is over, and that every insurance plan offered anywhere has to meet certain standards that are clearly spelled out.  No add-on costs for women.  No catastrophic coverage because of pre-existing conditions making standard coverage too expensive. If You offer health insurance you insure healthcare for every person.  You'll lose money on some, it tends to balance out anyway, greed is no longer allowed.  If you don't want limits on profits insure something else and see if the market will tolerate your greed.

by I love OCD on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 05:37:37 PM PDT