Skip to main content

View Diary: OH SNAP! The Smackdown Will Commence Shortly (175 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  One part of the ACA (6+ / 0-)

    is that ALL insurance offered will have minimum standards and will be required to include certain coverage.
    'Junk' insurance will not fulfill the requirements.
    But to your original question;  in my understanding is that if your company offers you coverage and you have to pay for it and you still cannot afford it you can be exempted from fines/penalties for not participating. I'm not sure if you'd qualify though for coverage from the exchanges at this point. You might though qualify for federal tax credits to help you pay for it. Again...this is only my understanding.

    FORWARD! Obama/Biden 2012

    by Esjaydee on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 09:45:34 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  All I know is that before the ACA, (5+ / 0-)

      we had what was considered a "Cadillac" insurance plan, the healthcare laws changed, the company was scared of being taxed for providing it, so now we have junk insurance, and I can no longer afford to get my epilepsy treated.

      I can't drive anymore, because I can't afford the testing, or the meds. You have no idea how hard that is when you live in a rural area with no public transport.

      It is frustrating to say the least. :-(

      "It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." Oscar Wilde, 1891

      by MichiganGirl on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 10:03:32 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  My understanding is that your employer is (2+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        I love OCD, mmacdDE

        required to pay a certain percentage. If they don't you can go get it yourself.

        MichiganGirl, check here They even have a live chat module that will pop up after about 15 seconds or so. The people are very knowledgeable and friendly and the site is intuitive. If they cannot answer your question directly, (like when I needed by question answered) they will bump you up" to the next level "advanced resolution" and someone will actually call you on the phone. I think you won;t need that, though. You question is pretty basic and probably pretty common.


Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site