View Diary: Greenwald “Blasts Media, MSNBC Over Edward Snowden Stories” (w/fmr. Sen. Humphrey's Update) (582 comments)

•  At least they took a 24hr. break for Trayvon (4+ / 0-)

I think that's the record.

But what do I know I'm a propagandist!

If I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I'd have stuck my ---- in the mashed potatoes! - Paul's Boutique

by DoctorWho on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:20:38 PM PDT

•  Unwillingly, IMO: (4+ / 0-)

It was avoiding the juxtaposition between the crime of the USG knowing the same metadata as Verizon, the distant possibility of a dystopic future, and real problems that exist for real people.

The entire NSA program strikes me as a white man's worry, in the same vein is "First world problems".

"We're now in one of those periods when the reality of intense pressure on the middle class diverges from long-held assumptions of how the American bargain should work" --James Fallows

by Inland on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:55:14 PM PDT

•  I agree...nt (1+ / 0-)
        etherealfire

by DoctorWho on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 01:01:40 PM PDT

•  white man's worry? I disagree (3+ / 0-)
        WheninRome, DeadHead, 3goldens

the story is about more than metadata, which has been pointed out again and again.

I don't find you an honest debater, either.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. --Edward Abbey

by greenbastard on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 01:08:22 PM PDT

•  Because a powerful tool like is being constructed (2+ / 0-)
        greenbell, WheninRome

would only ever be used against the white man?  Yeah right - government power would never be used to oppress minorities.

“What’s the use of having developed a science well enough to make predictions if, in the end, all we’re willing to do is stand around and wait for them to come true?” - Sherwood Rowland

by jrooth on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 01:19:09 PM PDT

•  N.B.: Something that could possibly be used (0+ / 0-)

against minorities versus something that is actually happening today.

BTW, people don't need the NSA or surveillance to find out who is black and deny them civil rights. Thus it really is the fear of white people that someday something could happen where they are treated as badly as blacks are treated, today, in reality, no fertile imagination needed.

by Inland on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 01:26:39 PM PDT

•  That's the thing it HAS been used against (0+ / 0-)

minorities for decades. Invasion of privacy and unauthorized surveillance is nothing new to us. But hey if the majority are finally waking to what it's like then hey better late than ever - but don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing and clutch pearls.

by DoctorWho on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 01:52:33 AM PDT

•  You don't need to drop anything. (0+ / 0-)

But if you truly can't deal with more than one issue at a time, I suggest you stop wasting that one focus of yours on pooh-pooing this issue.

by jrooth on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 05:41:40 AM PDT