View Diary: Boycott Florida - Simple Steps you take to Win back Justice for Trayvon (38 comments)

•  Foreign tourest advisories for one death? (2+ / 0-)
    peacestpete, Utahrd

Is that a snark?

We have major metro areas all around the US where the number of murders is staggering. Do you really think that foreign countries would issue a travel alert for all of Florida for a single death?

Travel boycotts hurt primarily the low wage employees who work in the travel, food service, and leisure industries. Those people don't deserve to lose there jobs based on one jury verdict. Half the states in the US have some type of SYG standard, including my home state of California. I love Florida in the winter and will continue to vacation there.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 03:24:01 PM PDT

•  So? (1+ / 0-)
      VClib
      They don't care. They'll just click "Like" on Facebook because it will make them feel good for a second, not bothering to think about, or learn about what they're actually "supporting", because most probably don't know that SYG had nothing to do with the Zimmerman case, and probably don't even really know what SYG is. It's just the shiny thing at the moment to be against.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 03:58:54 PM PDT

•  And Voting is a Waste of time too? (2+ / 0-)
        worldlotus, keepemhonest

Me thinks you prostest too mush.

Cynicism is not attractive or productive.  Thanks but I believe that Flush Rush movement proves co-ordinated boycotts have massive effect

•  Lol (2+ / 0-)
          VClib, Utahrd

So you're comparing voting to clicking "Like" on Facebook and this ridiculous boycott?

And you're using that Shakespeare quote all wrong. Just stop.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 04:44:47 PM PDT

•  Standing my ground angainst Real Bullies (0+ / 0-)

and your protesting of this plans begs the question: What's your true color?

Given that you joined the site not long before the trial, comment only on the trial and general support of the defense. A quick look at your comments and it's clear you prone to making douchey comments and personal attacks more akin to sites where freedom of expression is not welcomed

Granted, you're smart man - or woman apparently - however your logic is tragically flawed by false assumptions and  beliefs that you fail to realize are subjective and prejudicial to your conclusions.

More than happy to debate these points.  However I'm staid my ground against you and point out that you haven't added to the conversation.  You're just throwing a temper tantrum and calling names and exaggerating.

For example, Facebook does matter - and eventually - these new technologies will reshape the meaning of voting itself.

•  there have been European advisories about FLA (0+ / 0-)

before -- foreign (German?) tourist couple stalked, killed & robbed several years ago.

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 12:34:34 AM PDT

•  Cumulative effect (0+ / 0-)

Sure, Martin was "just" one death, but I'm talking about the overall impact of the Zimmerman verdict, which starkly upholds the kill-at-will law (known politely as "stand your ground").

It can be interpreted as open season on people who look different.  I lived in Spain and I know that Europeans and other countries pay attention to that stuff.

I go to Florida at least once a year myself and I probably won't be deterred myself, but as I did last year with Arizona I'll certainly go with an attitude. May have to wear a hoodie in some god-awful redneck tract house district and see if I run into a George Z. type.

"And once again, the forces of niceness and goodness have triumphed over the forces of evil and rottenness." --Maxwell Smart

by emobile on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 08:57:42 AM PDT

•  emobile - we have had SYG here in Califonria (1+ / 0-)
        andalusi

for more than a century. The only people who think SYG is a kill-at-will law are people who don't understand it or don't want to understand it.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 09:17:54 AM PDT

•  News to me (0+ / 0-)

I've lived in CA myself over 10-plus years (though not presently) and I really doubt the "SYG" law there resembles anything like what Florida has.

Maybe CA has a Castle Doctrine law, which applies to defending one's home or workplace.  That is way different from the kill-at-will action practiced on the streets in the Martin case.

If I'm wrong on that count I'd sure like to be enlightened about it.

by emobile on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 09:37:23 AM PDT

•  emobile - it is different but incorporates most (2+ / 0-)
            Pi Li, emobile

of the same elements. In addition nearly half the states have some kind of SYG law. It's not kill-at-will. I wrote a diary on the California law. You can find it here:

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 10:00:10 AM PDT

•  Nice job (1+ / 0-)
              VClib

Good diary and comment thread.  My takeaway from all this is that a lot of states have these messed-up, so-called "self defense" laws and singling out Florida alone isn't really fair.

by emobile on Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 11:26:21 AM PDT

•  vclib - you are wrong (0+ / 0-)

California has not had SYG law for more than a Century.

Seems you don't understand the difference between the Castle Doctrine versus the SYG laws

Castle Doctrine appears in California Penal Code § 198.5 which has a “no duty to retreat” clause for an intruder in the home

There is no legislated SYG law in California.

•  vclib your comment implies you put $$ before human (0+ / 0-)

life.

That seems glib  of you

•  keepemhonest - I am not sure which comment (0+ / 0-)

you are referring to. I just think boycotts hurt the poor more than the rich and that having a boycott for the death of one person has too many unintended consequences to support.

"let's talk about that"