View Diary: This week in the War on Workers: Fast food workers strike over lack of air conditioning (40 comments)

•  It's something I was wondering -- (0+ / 0-)

unless all the customers were drive-through, but the picture showed people sitting down and eating.

Betcha the front and the back are on separate systems or circuits.  Or -- maybe some people like McDonalds enough to suffer for it.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 04:15:26 PM PDT

•  The people in the back are washing (0+ / 0-)

dishes and working over hot grills and deep fat fryers.

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56:43 PM PDT

•  Good point -- Inadequate AC could leave the (0+ / 0-)

place tolerable in front and not in back.  Given our weather over the last week, however, I don't think inoperative AC could have done it.  Chicago has been hot and it has been humid and, judging by the weather reports and phone calls to family, it's been nicer down in Texas than it has here.

Once we move down there, I'm sure that will change.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 12:52:41 AM PDT

•  I was stuck working in a cafeteria (0+ / 0-)

for a month in Santa Clara California when temps were hovering around 100.

I was in a windowless room washing dishes.  The pressure hose was going, and that didn't even have a cold handle.  Just hot water direct off the water heater.  Then the sanitizer was running, and that thing puts out a crazy amount of heat.

There was no AC, just big industrial fans.  The manager wouldn't let me have one, because we only had three and she wanted one for each door of the kitchen (a separate room).

I brought in a thermometer and it was 126 degrees in the room I was working in.  The humidity was obviously 100% (condensation coating the walls).

In the eating area it was about 100 degrees.  Same as outside, but of course out of the sun.

by JesseCW on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 01:32:06 AM PDT

•  Wow -- and customers still came? (0+ / 0-)

What's the humidity like in Santa Clara?

RE working in the back room, congratulations on survival.  126 is unbearable, but washing dishes? Had to be 126 and humid.

If there isn't a law against that, there damned well should be.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 07:17:57 AM PDT

•  It was a state facility. (0+ / 0-)

Come or don't eat.

I was going through about two gallons of water a shift, and I did not need bathroom breaks.  I got written up for "smelling sweaty".

by JesseCW on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 11:05:16 AM PDT