View Diary: "I Wanted My Guns Back. I Just Wanted Them Back So Bad." Update. (306 comments)

•  I think it is a deeply seated fear of others in (8+ / 0-)

society, of feeling so separated from civilization that the only recourse is to defend yourself with your magic equalizer.  And I'm 100% serious in saying that.

Actual crime rates, particularly violent crimes, were three times higher 30-40 years ago, yet people today are much more fearful.

I think most of it comes down to two very different things:

1)  24 hour news cycle.  One violent episode is repeated ad naseum by every available outlet. The airwaves are saturated with reports of violence from around the nation, whereas 40 years ago, if there were no shootings in your city or county, you'd never hear about the rest unless it were a notorious case. And then, you'd read about it in the dispassionate forum of a paper newspaper, not video looped endlessly through your brain, triggering primate fear response.

2)  Lack of social networks.  Not too awful long ago, it was common for people to belong to social groups and clubs of all types.  It was common to meet with your neighbors and coworkers at the corner bar.  There were Elks, Lions, Masons, Optimists, Toastmasters, whatnot. Their lack of popularity and membership are an illustration of how foreign these groups seem to us today. There were many vibrant social groups getting together and doing good in their communities.  And, as a side-effect, they were knitting people together.  (Yes, these organizations still exist, but far too many people have zero social group connections.)

Today, everyone drives home, shuts the car in the garage, flips on the TV and absorbs the fear from around the world.

Today's social outlets might include watching your kids in school sports and casually chatting with other parents, but that isn't the same as regularly joining together for community betterment and getting to know people across the community.

And last, I'd throw in some hate radio just as an afterthought. There is so much hostility generated today for zero reason. It infects all of us. None of us can avoid it because none of us can avoid running into the listeners somewhere, sometime.

Well, those are some of my thoughts on the matter. Many people have a genuine - basically unfounded - fear.

by YucatanMan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 10:22:41 AM PDT

•  I find it curious ... (6+ / 0-)

It is reasonable to suppose that among our numbers here we have some of the most responsible gun owners in America. In part I think that is why they react so badly to many calls for restraint.

However, few if any have ever really needed to use their weapons to save their lives, or the lives of others.

Even in the rare instance where that does happen, we have no way of knowing whether or not the situation could have only been resolved with a gun. What is clear is that some of those situations could easily be resolved without a gun, especially if you don't have one.

A gun-free society is a civilised society. A gun-culture society is one dominated by fear, and ever aggressive responses to that fear. That is made clear on a daily basis.

What surprises me is that the gun owners buy into the fear that something might happen, even though it has never happened to them or anyone they know, yet they accept the far higher risk of the accidents that happen daily.

We cannot help those people live free from fear until we start to remove, especially handguns, from society. We cannot do that until we know where they are, and who is supposed to have them.

I would accept that people could have guns in the home, that is a matter for them and I would not support efforts to remove them. Outside the home is another matter entirely, because then it becomes a risk for me, my family and everyone else. Gun owners do not have the right to jeopardize my safety, and I have no good reason to implicitly trust them not to.

I don't really care that they are scared to leave home without a gun. Stay home then.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 10:57:34 AM PDT

•  Yes. (3+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, twigg, FogCityJohn
        Our society in general is fear-driven and fear-manipulated.  Look at the threat to our liberties that en masse government surveillance creates versus the miniscule probability of "terrorists" ever hurting or killing any given individual.

The judgement of fear vs actual danger is irrational and unsupported by facts, yet it is widespread and encouraged by our politicians and media outlets.

No one should be placed in the position of having to "trust" a gun owner not to be a fool and a bumbling idiot in public. Dropping a purse, fumbling with a wallet, reaching for something in a pocket, all are examples of instances where someone has discharged a gun, injuring themselves or others in public.  In many cases, people have been killed.  A man places a pistol on his truck seat, something happens and his child is dead.  A dog bumps a gun and the owner is dead. Could easily have been a bystander, every time.

It is simply insane that those dangers should be permitted in public.

by YucatanMan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 11:10:00 AM PDT

•  And that is why (2+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan, tytalus

the 2nd Amendment argument to preserve those "freedoms" fails every time.

It is simply insane that those dangers should be permitted in public.
          Public safety is a well-established reason for the SCOTUS to uphold Federal or State laws.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 11:20:07 AM PDT

•  24/7 365 newscoverage (0+ / 0-)

I have pointed the evils of this for years, since the unrelenting coverage of the Bobby Kennedy killing. How often did we need to see him bleeding on the floor in that kitchen?

The constant need to fill airtime leads to shallow repetitive coverage going for sensationalism and coverage of some of the most vapid people in the world.

Do no editing except to placate your corporate owners.

Do little, if any fact checking.

Unrelenting coverage of violent or sensational crimes, preferably if the victim is a photogenic white woman/girl with totally pure background or the "perp" (suspect) is dark complected (My Russian grandfather was listed as that on his naturalization papers and would have made a GREAT suspect for all news TV what with that, his thick accent, loud voice and tactless ways).

Certainly no going after big corporations since that is way too complex a story ... stick to simple things like what ninny of a celeb is expecting/sulking/tweeting/rehabbing.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

by astrogeology girl on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 01:02:52 PM PDT