View Diary: The majesty of the law (136 comments)

•  I'd be surprised if Geragos said that (0+ / 0-)

He's been very critical of the prosecutors in this case, especially Angela Corey (the ambitious State Attorney who was appointed Special Prosecutor), and her decision to bring the case in the first place. But I don't think I've ever heard Geragos allege that the state "threw" the case.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 05:54:31 PM PDT

•  he said it during an interview that included (0+ / 0-)

jeffrey toobin- i heard it parts of it - it actually sounded like some of that quoted in the diary - i though armando might include it

This is a list of 76 universities for Rush Limbaugh that endorse global warming denial, racism, sexism, and GOP lies by broadcasting sports on over 170 Limbaugh radio stations.

by certainot on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 06:24:08 PM PDT

•  I saw that (0+ / 0-)

And I've been following what Geragos has been saying, he's probably the legal analyst I've enjoyed (and agreed with) the most on this case. And I don't believe he ever said the state "threw" the case.  Though, again, he's certainly be very critical of the prosecution, including the decision to bring the case in the first place.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 06:27:24 PM PDT

•  Actually (0+ / 0-)

I'll correct that, I think he might have said that once now that I think about it, but I believe it was in the context of making a comment on how incompetent they thought they were being at times, and not a serious accusation that they were intentionally throwing the case b/c of political reasons and that they didn't want to win, as some have alleged.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 06:31:12 PM PDT

•  here: the CNN transcript doesn't have it (2+ / 0-)
      Pi Li, vcmvo2

if that's the same interview with geragos and toobin the CNN transcript leaves it out. they have sections of "CROSSTALK"

i heard him say it - played by randi rhodes i think...

here's a link to a reference to it:

"I think they're throwing the case," attorney Mark Geragos announced Tuesday night on Anderson Cooper's CNN show, "Self-Defense or Murder?" The discussion on that program, which airs at 10 weeknights, is fascinating. This special Cooper series is running for just the duration of the trial, but it certainly is one of the strongest programs in cable news these days.

Fellow analyst Jeffrey Toobin called Geragos' throw-the-case comment "absurd."

by certainot on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 06:33:22 PM PDT

•  Yeah (2+ / 0-)
        certainot, VClib

See my comment above...I do recall that.

But as I said, the way I heard those comments was not that he was seriously alleging the state was intentionally trying to lose for political reasons (as some have alleged), but rather that they were just doing so bad it seemed they were. And if look at the entire context of the discussion, that's what they were talking about...how incompetent he thought the state was. But not a serious accusation that they were trowing it.  I saw it as kind of like when you're watching football, and your team is doing so bad you say "Are the intentionally trying to lose?" That's how I interpreted his comments.

Again, you're right, he absolutely said it, but I'm just not sure about the context.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 06:41:20 PM PDT