View Diary: Ask me anything: Seriously, anything (994 comments)

•  "White privilege" also carries the implication (66+ / 0-)

that one has a comfortable enough life and the leisure (if you will) to worry about the NSA, rather than more immediately pressing problems, like if your Mom or Dad are going to be deported. Or if you can safely walk home with a bag of Skittles. Or if you can find a Women's Health Care facility within 50 miles of where you live.

All problems are important, but some are more proximal to people who have fewer choices in their lives due to the color of their skin or the economics of their lives.

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 01:51:35 PM PDT

•  And some are capable of caring about many issues (16+ / 0-)

It takes a lot of work and study to follow issues related to the economy, income inequality, discrimination, access to affordable health care, Wall Street and corporate corruption, violence and poverty, etc.

Everyone deserves a chance to succeed in this country, to live a happy, productive life.  Having the government spy on innocent people and use that information against them makes all of those things much more difficult.

"If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their booze and then vote against them, you have no business being in DC."

by Betty Pinson on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 06:39:40 PM PDT

•  Absolutely, some are capable of caring about many (17+ / 0-)

issues, but that doesn't change the point that for some people, simple day-to-day survival is more than they can handle.  Telling them that their particular survival issues aren't as significant as the NSA issue is not helping them and, quite frankly, it can be off-putting.

Believe me, I am relieved that there are passionate people who can devote the time to pursuing the issue of spying.  Each of us has our talents. Others of us, however, are trying to work through volunteerism and activism to help those people who are struggling with those other, more mundane issues.

Speaking for myself, it can feel at times like the issues I care strongly about are flat-out demeaned as being secondary in importance to the threat of government spying.  I don't think this needs to be a hierarchy of importance.  Perhaps others do?  But I am counting on those people who have a fire in their belly for this issue to keep on it.

I don't often check in with the diaries about it anymore because the entire issue has become fraught with finger-pointing and name-calling.

I am with Onomastic on this one...

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 07:24:45 PM PDT

•  I've not seen that here (8+ / 0-)

All the people I've seen commenting on the NSA spying are just as involved in advocating for issues like affordable health care, jobs, better wages, education, discrimination,voting rights, etc.

None of the key issues facing those straggling to get by are less important.

by Betty Pinson on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 08:09:23 PM PDT

•  Betty that's really not true. (22+ / 0-)

I've seen some ugly controversies here but this one has taken top honors for name-calling, personal attacks, Godwinism, and the ever popular jockeying for True Progressive status.

When chained CPI hits the top of the charts let's see how long this remains a high priority.  Steig Larsson explained, 8+ years ago exactly how the NSA fishes the data stream and can pull out individual conversations if the search algorithms are tripped.  Fiction writer, explicit details, clearly common knowledge in foreign lands, and not nearly as aggravating as RW nutcases undermining Democracy.  Maybe Kos has told an inconvenient truth here.  Governments spy, everyone knows it, it's bad but it's not the worst thing that ever happened in the history of the world.  I'm thinking 500,000 women in Texas with no access to basic health care ranks a little higher on the outrage scale.

by I love OCD on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 08:54:39 PM PDT

•  No one wants to talk about Chained CPI (7+ / 0-)

Because its an inconvenient truth about the problems of this administration.  No one wants to admit that its a proposal that does disproportionate harm to minorities and women and that its being aggressively promoted by a black POTUS.  No one wants to admit it will put millions of seniors into poverty all to serve the GOP/corporate agenda.

None of the conservative Dems here want to acknowledge those problems.

Same goes for access to affordable health care, a topic I've been struggling to get people here to talk about for the last 5 years.  I spend every day talking to people who are uninsured and sick with cancer.  I fight every day to get health care for all. What do you do?

What kind of privilege is it when conservative Democrats refuse to discuss the problems that are weakening ACA before it even becomes available to most folks?   What about the privileged attitudes of those who claim they don't want the mandate, even though its the only thing that will make ACA sustainable?

All of these issues are important and they're all linked.  There's plenty of people willing to fight for change in all these areas, so let's discuss them all.  There's no shortage of time or ability to make change.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 07:15:45 AM PDT

•  Trust me, if my survival is threatened (4+ / 0-)
                Terri, WB Reeves, high uintas, Onomastic

I will lead the charge.  If they tie my COLA's to the CPI after raising my base benefit above the poverty line I'll be somewhat less tense because it will leave me needing to earn $17 a year, not $700 or $800 a MONTH, depending on gas, food, and electricity prices.  I have some inside knowledge here, and have lived thru those years when there was no COLA.  It didn't kill me, it meant rounding up another little service job outside the mainstream because I can't get a real job with benefits because my 4th Amendment right to privacy was abridged by the Internet data miners.  See what I'm saying?  The Government actually treats me a whole lot better than the free market does and I'm personally interested in pushing them to do even better, not spread fear about the things they do less well.  I'd be much more involved in the outrage movement if they had some plans, something beyond sending angry emails and signing skewed petitions.  I'd vote for Obama again, if I could, despite the NSA, because he isn't occupying my uterus, undermining my Medicare, blocking my right to vote, or reducing me to subhuman status because I'm female, older, and not rich.  If he does any of those expect to hear from me.

by I love OCD on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 08:04:47 AM PDT

•  It takes a special kind of wilful blind predjudice (5+ / 0-)

to think that white skin means having leisure and not worrying about getting home safely, and most particularly having access to a womens health care center.

The rural poor, a population which is heavily (though very far from entirely) white has the worst access to women health services.

But to see what's ignorant about your statement, you'd have to actually talk to and care about a certain 40% of Americans in poverty that many here prefer to pretend are non-existent.

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 09:57:09 AM PDT

•  I am female. My family income is below the (8+ / 0-)

federal poverty level. I am white. I live in a rural small town. I am also over 50, so that makes me almost invisible in our culture. I don't think I am "ignorant" about the issues you listed.  I wish you would read my comment again, particularly where I state that "economic" reasons might limit one's choices, not just skin color.

The assault on Women's rights has just about turned me into a one-issue voter.  Preserving my right to determine what happens to my own body is a far more proximal and important issue for me than government spying.  Like I say elsewhere, I am counting on others for whom it is the primary issue to hold the line for all of us.  ALL of these issues are important.  But I, for one, am so consumed, worried and frankly scared by what I see happening to Women's rights, that for me, worrying about the NSA is not my most immediate concern.

BTW, the angry and accusatory reply is exactly why I have stopped going to ANY diaries about the NSA.  No one bothers to even find out or ask for clarification. They just start finger-pointing and name-calling.

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 01:53:31 PM PDT

•  All too true, sadly N/T (2+ / 0-)
          Onomastic, Yasuragi

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 08:15:47 PM PDT

•  If you don't have a car and live in a rural small (1+ / 0-)
          triv33

town in most of America who have no access at all to women's reproductive health services.

None.

Pretending that the illegal abusive spying by the NSA isn't a related issue is naive in the extreme.  Do you actually believe that the next Republican administration won't use this information to (at a minimum) harass and intimidate those seeking to improve that access?

This kind of bending over backwards to find excuses to ignore or support wrongdoing is why I'm losing what was once a rock solid faith in the ability of human beings to govern themselves.

Because of you, I'm starting to believe that we really don't have a chance to liberate ourselves.

by JesseCW on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 12:18:14 AM PDT

•  When you're stopped and frisked primarily (3+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, Yasuragi, askew

because you're white, let me know.

I'd like to start a new meme: "No means no" is a misnomer. It should be "Only 'Yes' means yes." Just because someone doesn't say "No" doesn't mean they've given consent. If she didn't say "Yes", there is no consent.

by second gen on Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 07:47:38 PM PDT

•  Because the only problem with police harrasment (2+ / 0-)
          fuzzyguy, triv33

is that they discriminate only on apparent economic class?

How long do we keep excluding 40% of Americas poor from this conversation?

My bet would be - as long as those driving the conversation are actively trying to divide and conquer the poor.

by JesseCW on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 12:20:55 AM PDT

•  I'm one of those 40%. Yet I can easily walk (1+ / 0-)
            Yasuragi

into a store and not be watched. I can easily drive in any neighborhood I choose and not be followed or stopped by police. I can get stopped for speeding and either get a warning or a ticket, rather than arrested or beaten. I can walk down a street and no one crosses to the other side or grabs at their purse. No one knows I'm poor, no one profiles me for my income. That's white privilege.

by second gen on Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 09:51:05 AM PDT