View Diary: As Fundies Die Off, the Religious Left Grows (139 comments)

•  Um... (14+ / 0-)

Two things.

While I'm ignorant of hard statistics on this point, I think they'd bear out that people, on average, only get so far from their politics in young adulthood, in either direction. People getting "more conservative with age" is a big RW meme that isn't born out: statistically, the millennials are much more liberal than their parents, and will remain so. The cultural myth-makers and the old guys behind the scenes know this. They're terrified.

Second of all, I believe it was a myth all along--probably attested in good statistics--that the Boomers WERE mostly such flaming radicals in young adulthood. In fact, I believe that demographic was a big driver of the Reagan Revolution, and so on.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 11:10:21 AM PDT

•  I agree about the Reagan Revolution, (15+ / 0-)

but TomP is right about protesters being a small portion of the Boomers of the late '60s. The "hippie" style of dress was a fashion of the time and made it appear there were more real activists than there really were.

/old person's recollection

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 11:34:04 AM PDT

•  Arlo Guthrie converted to the GOP. (8+ / 0-)

I haz a sad.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 11:48:23 AM PDT

•  His dad probably turned over in his grave. (12+ / 0-)

Woddy was very left wing.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 11:58:53 AM PDT

•  I that right? I find that hard to believe. (2+ / 0-)
        kyril, Kentucky DeanDemocrat

Does anyone know why?

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 04:30:30 PM PDT

•  Yeah But this doesn't sound very republican to me (3+ / 0-)
        KenBee, rsmpdx, offgrid
        "Although I am a registered Republican, it does not follow that I endorse or condone the ridiculous positions the Republican party has taken as of late. I have written extensively on many subjects as noted and will continue to speak out for a world where we can work together with anyone willing to put aside ideology for a practical reality - where government works for all the people equally. I am not one of those people who believes that government works best when it serves those with the most. I am out to fight that kind of absurd anti-Americanism with the songs I sing and the life I live."

- Arlo Guthrie, Aug 23, 2012

Anyone still thinking that wanting to own a gun is normal? Wanting to own a gun is an immediate indicator that you should be the last person to have one.

by pollbuster on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 08:57:28 PM PDT

•  Arlo's become a Paulbot, I'm afraid.... (0+ / 0-)
        Guthrie has since become a registered Republican. Guthrie endorsed Texas Congressman Ron Paul for the 2008 Republican Party nomination. He said, "I love this guy. Dr. Paul is the only candidate I know of who would have signed the Constitution of the United States had he been there. I'm with him, because he seems to be the only candidate who actually believes it has as much relevance today as it did a couple of hundred years ago. I look forward to the day when we can work out the differences we have with the same revolutionary vision and enthusiasm that is our American legacy." He told The New York Times Magazine that he is a Republican because, "We had enough good Democrats. We needed a few more good Republicans. We needed a loyal opposition."

But maybe Arlo wasn't aware of the racist Ron Paul newsletters back in '08....

See the children of the earth who wake to find the table bare, See the gentry in the country riding out to take the air. ~~Gordon Lightfoot, "Don Quixote"

by Panama Pete on Wed Jul 24, 2013 at 06:40:52 AM PDT

•  Economics may be a factor here (2+ / 0-)
      207wickedgood, TomP

Folks who make a lot of money tend to be more conservative -- it's probably not a coincidence that my white-collar sisters (married to engineers) are Republicans and myself and my brother (blue-collar families) are Democrats. (My second sister was a borderline radical in high school and college -- the change in her was quite saddening.)

Since many of the millennials are not likely to hit those high-paying, high-powered jobs, they're not going to have the money to put them anywhere near the top 10% (much less the 1%), and they don't care about or are diametrically opposed to the social issues that the current GOP has been focusing on -- mainly denying reproductive and LGBT rights.

by Cali Scribe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 02:59:35 PM PDT