View Diary: I haven't been killed by an NSA drone tonight. (178 comments)

•  It's only getting better. (2+ / 0-)
    TheLizardKing, TomP

Every time someone has to emphasize the purely speculative, or distant possible futures, or a movie, it just reaffirms how great it is to be white, where you have to really stretch to be scared.

"We're now in one of those periods when the reality of intense pressure on the middle class diverges from long-held assumptions of how the American bargain should work" --James Fallows

by Inland on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 06:13:57 AM PDT

•  I am about to start HRing this.. (2+ / 0-)
      Demeter Rising, geomoo

...BS even though this is supposed to be a snarky diary.

So I can't care about which issues since I am white?  Domestic surveillance is out.  How about the environment?  Is that sufficiently dire enough to be concern to everyone.? How about women's reproductive rights. Does that count.? How about same sex marriage fairness.? Does that count?  How about Banking reform, or is that too white of an issue to be concerned with?  How about money in politics?

Why don't you just have the fortitude to say you think anything, and anyone, that is critical of the president is suspect of racism.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 06:22:41 AM PDT

•  It's the luxury of caring about (4+ / 0-)
        mrblifil, TheLizardKing, TomP, sviscusi

dangers that don't exist except in fertile imaginations. Whether you have other interests is irrelevant.

by Inland on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 06:44:05 AM PDT

•  boy what a dickish... (2+ / 0-)
          TracieLynn, TheMomCat

...series of comments from you.  And considering how domestic surveillance has been used against civil rights protestors in the past proves it is not just in fertile imaginations.  Complete fucking obliviousness to the abuses of the past.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 06:49:53 AM PDT

•  You have to change the subject to "surveillance" (0+ / 0-)

because historically, murders tend to be done not by government but by private actors.  The government didn't kill MLK.  The government didn't kill Malcolm X.  Or John  Kennedy.  Or Harvey Milk.  Or Robert Kennedy.

The pretense of fear of being killed by drones is something that people who have the luxury of not being scared in real life can wallow in.

by Inland on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 07:29:24 AM PDT

•  I didn't change anywhere... (0+ / 0-)

... I am not the one who posited that drones were killing US citizens here in the US.  But as a matter of fact civil rights people and other 'subversives' were killed by the police, and that is the government bucko.

You are just exemplifying the age old organizational problem of those who think their problems and issues are THE MOST  IMPORTANT and anyone who disagrees is racist, ageist, misogynistic or whatever 'ist' they use to belittle them.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 07:41:50 AM PDT

•  But not Cheneyite? (0+ / 0-)

No matter. Death by drone doesn't reach the level of "problem" for you, anyone you know, or anyone you've met, or any of us here. But it makes the rec list.

Because it's great to be a white American.

by Inland on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 07:58:54 AM PDT

•  boy it ihas been a while since .. (0+ / 0-)

...you were a regular in Hidden valley but you haven't changed except you learned how to color inside the lines of Dkos rules.

So there is a diary about a Norwegian lady getting a pardon.  Since that is not about Trayvon, or the VRA, or race or racism or bigotry do you resent that?  Are pootie diaries a symptom of 'white privilege'  What about the quilters I hear they are a real privileged group.

Just face it you are a hyper partisan that cannot brook any criticism of the president because of his race.

Oh and since we are all paying the billions of dollars to run the drone program and all the other 'security state' apparatus you bet it is a problem for me and all of us.

I am done talking to you, you are disagreeable commentator that adds little value to this site.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 08:13:25 AM PDT

•  The criticism (4+ / 0-)

extends to statements like the recent top-rated diary declaring Obama a catastrophe. Presumably because he did not single-handedly dismantle the NSA surveillance programs by becoming the Whistleblower-in-Chief. There's plenty of room to criticize the President from the left, but a strain of vitriol has entered into the discussion which should give everyone pause. I don't think the President's racial heritage should be enough to get him a pass, but I also feel like blind condemnation based on a particular set of issues is flirting with race insensitivity at best. Obama is a hero to some, and anyone who feels like that situation shouldn't obtain should be trying to change minds and win hearts. Excoriating (and often insufficiently substantiated) scolding is not the ticket, because it glosses over important areas that are the reason Obama obtained office in the first place.

As soon as the President did something popular (spoke out about Trayvon) the Snowden brigade went into overdrive to knock him down a peg, because their critique has been so withering up until now that when he does something laudatory they find themselves totally backed into a rhetorical corner. I view the sarcasm embodied by this diary as a way to burst their bubble a bit so the criticism can get back to being more factually based, and so people stop taking themselves quite so seriously.

•  I did not participate in ... (0+ / 0-)

any knocking down after his post trial comments.  And I really don't think people are knocking him down because he made those comments, at least not here.  People can be supportive of one thing he does and vitriolic about another.  It is not binary, except to partisans that cannot brook criticism.

There are racists here and there are people who benefit from privilege as well.  But that does not mean all critics are racist or that the concerns of those who benefit from privilege are not valid.

So what would get the president a pass, other that good policy that is.  And if it is based on a particular set of issues it is de-facto not 'blind condemnation'.

He is the president, the most powerful person in the world as we are supposed to believe, he is a public figure.  People can criticize him.  People can criticize him unfairly or even irrationally and not be racists.  If you see that criticism as racist because he is your hero then the problem is not with the critic or the criticism.

What areas are you talking about.  I voted for Obama because I had hoped he would change how things were done in Washington,  I believed he would be more transparent and less secretive, I thought he would, as a constitutional lawyer, roll back the patriot act and end our wars and lessen the influence of the military security state in our lives and budget.  I am bitterly disappointed these things did not come to pass.  Maybe this is my fault for thinking he would do these things but I was give that impression by his campaign.  Maybe I just imprinted my hopes onto him irrationally but expressing my disappointment doesn't make me a racist.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 07:22:20 AM PDT

•  ^^^^^Uh, yup^^^^^^ (2+ / 0-)
          mrblifil, sviscusi

I only regret that I have just one tip to give to this comment.