View Diary: Cancelling our Florida trip (212 comments)

•  Yeah, rumor has it that lots of Canadians (1+ / 0-)
    Heavy Mettle

go there, but they're well known to be a bunch of dumbasses.

But perhaps this (along with that driver's license snafu) will be enough to open their eyes.

•  Canadians in general, (4+ / 0-)

or just the Canadians that go to Florida?

Before you answer, I am Canadian.

I will not go to Florida.

I prefer NY, even in the winter.

•  I dunno, I think we've been through this (2+ / 0-)
        Heavy Mettle, nellgwen

before and perhaps that's an over generalization

But for the country that gave us baby seal meat, Celine Dion, and the tar sands, what can I say?

•  and loonies and toonies nt (1+ / 0-)
          nellgwen
        •  Canada also gave us the wonderbra & credit unions (4+ / 0-)

I expect that kind of anti-Canadian sentiment from Republicans, but not so much from Progressives.

I mean, as long as we see headlines like "Hardheaded Socialism Makes Canada Richer Than U.S.," I think we should be open to learning from our northern neighbor.

They also had electric wheelchairs and wheelchair accessible buses long before America, and they've been at the forefront of many other social reforms as well.  For example, the first female Canadian Prime Minister was appointed twenty years ago, and Canada had a female Speaker of the House of Commons back in 1980.

•  Oh absolutely! (0+ / 0-)

It's a tragedy that Canadian food is so unknown in the United States, but it makes trips up north that much better.

Don't get me wrong, I love California's mission burritos, I love their California burritos, I love In-N-Out Burger.  But Quebec's Poutine stands are at least comparable, and the cretons and tortieres are great too.  And if you like beaches, well they're not so great in the winter, but Prince Edward Island is one of the few places with red sand beaches, and the water's surprisingly warm in the Northumberland Strait.

And I don't know if Quebec's a "stand-your-ground" province, but it's where Stevie Wonder announced his boycott, so I'm sure it's alright.

•  Sorry, nothing beats (0+ / 0-)

In-n-out burger. Except maybe a good NY slice.

•  Hell no (0+ / 0-)

One of the advantages of a system with party unity is that odious organizations like ALEC are less effective at local targeting.   Even if we currently live under a corrupt Conservative majority with Bush-admiring a-holes.

I'm not sure what you would use for deadly force anyway in Canada.  Maybe a sword?

All non-bolt-action-rifles are classified as restricted firearms, for which you need not only a license to own and a registration certificate but also a license to transport.  You have to pass a safety course and either prove that you're a member of a shooting club or register the gun as a relic.

It's not impossible for an individual to own a handgun in Canada, but the difficulty of doing so makes it way easier to track the criminals who use them.  It probably dissuades the fetishists from stockpiling arsenals too.

First they came for the slippery-slope fallacists, and I said nothing. The End.

by Cream Puff on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 10:16:14 AM PDT

•  I would add (1+ / 0-)
            Ishmaelbychoice

Michaelle Jean who came to Canada as a Haitian refugee and ended up our Governor General--in effect our Head of State when the Queen is not present.  It's an extremely important role and she was so well liked by "Canadians that there was considerable pressure on the government to extend her term.  So in addition to a female PM we've had a black female Head of State.

•  Technically (0+ / 0-)

the Queen is still head of state.  The GG is only her representative.

And I'm not sure where you get the notion that Michaelle Jean was so well-liked.  She let Harper antidemocratically "prorogue" parliament for months when he was about to lose a no-confidence vote.  In the interests of "stability" of course.

The only meaningflul decision she had to make was horrible and cowardly.

First they came for the slippery-slope fallacists, and I said nothing. The End.

by Cream Puff on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 10:22:18 AM PDT

•  Perhaps you don't understand (0+ / 0-)

Canadian constitutional law.  The precedent is the King-Byng crisis which ultimately established that the Crown or his/her representative cannot overrule a recommendation from the government.  Jean had no choice but to prorogue.   However she delayed doing it for a sufficient amount of time to show her displeasure.  So it was not "horrible and cowardly".  Polls at the time showed that the majority of Canadians wanted her term extended.

•  I was trying (0+ / 0-)

to be polite in my previous comment.  Thank you for removing this concern by questioning my understanding.

1. Since you failed to acknowledge your own lack of undstanding of who the head of state is: Her Majesty.

2. You're completely wrong on both the outcome and the meaning of the King-Byng affair.  King lost the showdown with the GG, who had the opposition form a government without an election.  After the Conservatives were in turn defeated, Byng called an election, which King won.  You're probably confusing that with King getting his way on his initial request, which is not surprising since you obviously have such poor reading comprehension skills.

As an aside, the statement

is idiotic on its face.  If a recommendation has to be followed it's not a recommendation.  Canadians who pay attention in grade school learn that the GG has the power to dissolve Parliament.

Jean chose the least popular option during the 2008 crisis.  It was both horrible and cowardly.  If by no other evidence than Harper's abuses of power and multiple scandals since.  She wanted to stay on the Prime Minister's good side, will of the House be damned.  Oh, and that delay?  If it had been 4 days longer the House would have voted on the no-confidence measure.  I couldn't find a record of when Harper requested it, but apparently she spent two whole hours discussing it with constitutional experts employed by the government.

Of course, since she performed her ceremonial duties with much gusto and a large number or people think diversity makes up for extremely poor decision-making, she stayed popular up to the end of her term.  Well, until the travel expenses caught up with her.

Did you think that assuming a famous PM's name as a handle would grant you authority you don't deserve?

First they came for the slippery-slope fallacists, and I said nothing. The End.

by Cream Puff on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 12:45:51 PM PDT

•  Much of what you say might be (0+ / 0-)

true if we lived in an absolute monarchy.  We don't.  We live in a constitutional monarchy.  It was the act of disregarding King's recommendation to disolve Parliament and calling on the L of O to form the government that resulted in further limitations on the Crown's ability to act with disregard for the recommendation of the government.  No GG or Sovereign will act without the consent of Parliament as expressed by the PM and cabinet.
                    As for my "handle", all I can say is it's better than "Cream Puff"

•  By the way (0+ / 0-)

the PM and government communicates with the Head of State by way of "recommendation" or advice.  That's the nature of the relationship and one of the protocols of such communication.

•  lastly, this is just from Wikipedia (0+ / 0-)

Much was made of the "Byng–King Thing" during the election campaign, which King conducted rhetorically as a campaign for Canadian independence from Britain, even though it was King who demanded that Byng consult London. King also painted the matter as one relating to democracy, insisting that the Governor General had had no right to refuse his prime minister's advice, while Meighen denounced King's actions as "a shameless attempt to hang onto power and avoid imminent defeat by the people's elected representatives."[7] However, the Liberals were returned to power with King as prime minister. Once in power, King's government sought at an imperial conference to redefine the role of the governor general as a personal representative of the sovereign in his Canadian council and not of the British government, the king in his British council. The change was agreed to at the Imperial Conference of 1926 and came to be official as a result of the Balfour Declaration of 1926 and Statute of Westminster 1931.

•  Umm, Republicans like all those things (1+ / 0-)
            Pale Jenova

especially Celine!

•  Well (0+ / 0-)

that female PM (Kim Campbell) took the Progressive Conservatives from a parliamentary majority to TWO seats in just one election.  I suppose she's a pioneer in demonstrating that women can fail just as spectacularly as men in politics.

Oh and the Speakership of the House of Commons is nothing like the US House Speaker.  They don't run the floor; they act more like the Parliamentarian.  Nobody with serious aspirations in Parliament wants to be speaker.

Agree with the rest of your argument though.

First they came for the slippery-slope fallacists, and I said nothing. The End.

by Cream Puff on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 12:49:59 PM PDT

•  Really? (1+ / 0-)
          Pale Jenova

And you're posting here?  I'd suggest that you don't come to Canada if you don't like Canadians.  We can debate the oil sands and seal meat is a staple of Inuit diet.  Maybe you don't like Celine Dion but there's lots of others--Diana Krall, Leonard Cohen, Shania Twain, Michael Buble.  But I suspect you're really a Beiber kind of guy

•  Canada didn't "give us" the tar sands (0+ / 0-)

Dead dinosaurs gave Canada the tar sands.

And I'll take Celine Dion over Justin Bieber any day.

And God said, "Let there be light"; and with a Big Bang, there was light. And God said "Ow! Ow My eyes!" and in a flash God separated light from darkness. "Whew! Now that's better. Now where was I. Oh yea . . ."

by Pale Jenova on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 07:19:22 AM PDT

•  They fly back home in a hurry (0+ / 0-)

if they need to go to a hospital . . .

by Pale Jenova on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 07:18:10 AM PDT