View Diary: I mean really, Anthony...... (117 comments)

•  Remember (11+ / 0-)

that when he was caught the first time, he said that he was going to take the time to focus on rebuilding his marriage, and requested privacy. Blah, blah, blah. Even after that, he took up with another woman, who he apparently just broke it off with in 2013. His wife the first time around came off as a saint, albeit perhaps a naïve one. This time, his wife appears to me to be either a complete dolt or a woman whose political ambitions for her husband outweigh any concerns she has about his quality as a man.

•  It's pretty easy (2+ / 0-)
      BoiseBlue, Kevskos

to bang out judgment on a keyboard. Too bad none of us knows as much as we think we do when it comes to their marriage.

I don't mind if you're straight. Just don't flaunt it in public.

by Chrislove on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 05:33:53 PM PDT

•  It's not about their marriage. (8+ / 0-)

It's about a guy who in the midst of resigning from Congress and telling his constituents "I now must focus on my family" decided to once again take up with an online romantic interest. When someone displays such wanton disregard for his career, let alone his family, why should I trust him to make the important decisions a mayor has to make? If he were running for controller or something like that, maybe. But for an important job like mayor? No way. This guy is a nutcase, plain and simple.

•  I was referring to your (0+ / 0-)

comments about his wife, which you are completely unqualified to make. But as I said above, it's the Internet, and everybody can have an opinion. Doesn't mean it's informed.

I don't mind if you're straight. Just don't flaunt it in public.

by Chrislove on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 06:00:30 PM PDT

•   We do know some things about their marriage (8+ / 0-)

We know his wife is NOT fine with him sexting other women. If she were she wouldn't have had to forgive him and they wouldn't have had to move past anything. You are right. There may be spouses out there who are very comfortable with their spouse engaging in such behavior. Different strokes...

But this couple has made it clear that she doesn't enjoy or condone this behavior, he has admitted it is hurtful to her and harmful to something he values, yet HE CAN'T STOP. I frankly don't care what the behavior is. When you can't stop doing something you know hurts those you love and threatens what you hold dear, like your family, your marriage and your career...you have a problem. Get some help, but please, don't run for public office. You are not fit.

If you want something other than the obvious to happen; you've got to do something other than the obvious. Douglas Adams

by trillian on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 07:06:39 PM PDT

•  Um, no, we don't know any of that. (0+ / 0-)

If she were okay with this behavior, do you really think she'd come out and say so in front of an American public that think every relationship should be strictly monogamous? Of course she wouldn't. We're typing comments on Daily Kos--neither of us know shit about this marriage. So it doesn't really make sense to call the wife a dolt when we don't know what we're talking about.

I don't mind if you're straight. Just don't flaunt it in public.

by Chrislove on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 08:13:03 PM PDT

•  And you very well could be right (1+ / 0-)
              BoiseBlue

In fact, you probably are right. But We. Don't. Know. Can somebody explain to me how it's called for to call his wife a dolt? That's what my comment is about. Six people including the diarist recced the comment so far, so apparently there's some agreement that this woman is either kind of a moron or somebody who just wants her husband to win political office. Explain to me how it's appropriate to make judgments like that.

I don't mind if you're straight. Just don't flaunt it in public.

by Chrislove on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 08:49:08 PM PDT

•  Echo...echo...echo... (0+ / 0-)

Eleven recommends on the comment so far and nobody willing to make a substantive comment about why it's appropriate to label Anthony Weiner's wife a dolt. Anybody? No? Okay. I guess it's easier just to hit the "recommend" button. That's what's great about this site, I guess.

I don't mind if you're straight. Just don't flaunt it in public.

by Chrislove on Wed Jul 24, 2013 at 06:35:58 AM PDT

•  She's a person in the public eye. (0+ / 0-)

She's made multiple statements on this topic, and we know a great deal about Weiner and the texting. There is enough information out there for people to make a judgment. And mine is that she is either a dolt or is so ambitious that she is willing to countenance serial lying from her husband. Serial. If you think she is not a dolt, that is your right, as it is mine to think not so highly of her after this latest imbroglio. She did an interview with People in June 2012 in which she said that she was forgiving him, and that things were now different; but now we find out that he was in the middle of yet another relationship. So she has become part of the lie.

•  It is certainly your right (0+ / 0-)

That was never in dispute. But the reality is that we don't have nearly enough inside information about the marriage to be able to throw insults at his wife. Listening to a few public statements made by the wife does not equal the kind of expertise and inside information you would need to judge the wife's decisions or intelligence. Seriously, the moral sanctimony in these threads is just deafening. But yes, public figure, everybody can make judgments. Again, doesn't mean they're informed. I'm sure everybody here feels better about themselves, though, and that's really what matters.

I don't mind if you're straight. Just don't flaunt it in public.

by Chrislove on Wed Jul 24, 2013 at 09:35:27 AM PDT

•  I don't know (2+ / 0-)

Sending pics of my private parts out isn't something I would do.

On the other hand maybe he's oversexed and she was gone overseas all the time with Hillary and they weren't getting enough time with each other.

•  Yeah, it would have really saved his career if (1+ / 0-)
      Chrislove

she had come out and said "I really don't care who he sends dick pics to. It excites him."

I'm not saying that their relationship is that permitting, but I do find it interesting that, when politicians follow the script they're supposed to play in times like these, people believe what is said. They do damage control, not honesty hour.

Do you really believe Larry Craig's wife didn't know he was gay just because she said she knows he's not?

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 05:40:06 PM PDT

•  re: political ambitions for her husband (1+ / 0-)
      WheninRome

I agree it sounds like this is the answer, but why? Like Peterhug said above, why doesn't she run? Takes two to co-depend I guess, and that's their business. But he's beyond "flirting" so I don't think it compares to innocent fun like Boiseblue's.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Wed Jul 24, 2013 at 04:57:33 AM PDT