View Diary: Trayvon, Conceal Carry and Cowards (110 comments)

•  Nevermind. (5+ / 0-)

I'll respect 88kathy's follow-up and leave this one be.  But I'm still not sold on the HRs.

"The first drawback of anger is that it destroys your inner peace; the second is that it distorts your view of reality. If you come to understand that anger is really unhelpful, you can begin to distance yourself from anger." - The Dalai Lama

by auron renouille on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 08:07:43 PM PDT

•  kathy was correct (4+ / 0-)

This:

They never get to speak out. I know, they should be able to pack heat on line too. Concealed of course. Then BLAM. Meet my little friend. Now whose listening to me?
      should be hidden.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 08:18:10 PM PDT

•  Meh. (8+ / 0-)

I do understand what you're saying, but given how RKBAers swarm anti-gun diaries, particularly RKBAers who are here solely to write on gun rights and who do not really seem to be present on any other Democratic issues, I guess I kind of feel like if they want to play with fire, some burns are inevitable.  Or, as my mentor tends to tell criminal defendants who think that they are neither defendants nor accused of crimes, that if you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band (he's from an era where they actually paid bands ^_^).

Still, I recognize that poor behavior can't indemnify others' poor behavior.  But the double standard chafes.

by auron renouille on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 08:34:11 PM PDT

•  I wasn't correct, I had expert advice which I took (6+ / 0-)

One flippant remark brings my house down, and the RkBAers are on a binge here.

First of all they do carry concealed HRs and use them very well. Which is the on-line equivalent of BLAM. The comment I answered told the diarist to get out of Dkos town and talk to their local news. That's OK. No HR there.

One thing I do understand is that I don't understand HR's. The RkBA crew does. Very well. That is why I am going with the advice I was given and asking all uprates be retracted.

There is some dynamic going on here that I just don't get. It's like Dkos has a split personality.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 09:03:47 PM PDT

•  It seems that way (5+ / 0-)

because some are honest, and others less so.

Therefore some will HR comments by folk they usually agree with, if that comment deserves it. Others will not, they are partial in their moderating duties.

The best way to deal with it is to not make intemperate statements .... and the next best, and honorable approach, is to ask those who agreed with you to remove their uprates.

You went up in my estimation when you did that, and you were already flying quite high :)

By the way, and in case anyone is wondering ...

I didn't HR your comment because I have a general rule that I do not HR comments I find only by visiting the "Hiddens".

I break that rule for obvious trolls, when the autoban is being slow to do its work :)

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 09:21:34 PM PDT

•  If I saw a RkBAer HR another RkBAer, I would (0+ / 0-)

probably die of shock so it is probably good for my health that they don't self regulate. However I would bet my pet cat they have hardly ever HR'd within their own group or even outside a gun discussion melee. It's not community it's vengeance, that's the way I see their HR's

I hardly ever HR. I never go to the hiddens. It's too much trouble. And I am always wrong.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 12:33:02 PM PDT

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
              theatre goon
              I'm glad you have the luxury... (1+ / 1-)
              88kathy
              Hidden by:
              theatre goon
              ...of owning guns solely for sporting purposes. I hope everyone is allowed that luxury sometime. Since not everyone is, maybe you shouldn't be such a judgmental asshole.

‎"Masculinity is not something given to you, but something you gain. And you gain it by winning small battles with honor." - Norman Mailer
              My Blog
              My wife's woodblock prints

by maxomai on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13:45 AM CDT

Irony...

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 10:16:33 AM PDT

•  Irony... (1+ / 0-)
                KVoimakas

...or simple dishonesty?

Could go either way, really.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 12:20:26 PM PDT

•  Goon HRs everything in sight (0+ / 0-)

Collateral damage is almost guarenteed.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 05:02:09 PM PDT

•  Nonsense. (1+ / 0-)
                  KVoimakas

This is simply and plainly an outright falsehood -- as is clearly shown by my not having, in fact, HR'ed "everything in sight."

The HRs I dropped in this commentary were on comments that blatantly broke site rules.  That there are those who are willing to uprate those comments, in flagrant violation of site rules themselves, is of no bearing on the subject.

Sadly, that you would engage in such blatant falsehoods so as to portray me in a poor light does not surprise me at all.  Such empty and dishonest personal attacks have become quite common lately.

I find it very telling how often some people on one particular side of this discussion are so willing to engage in outright falsehoods in an attempt to paint those who disagree with them as something they are not.

Such dishonesty is something we have become used to, however, from those who seem unable to support their arguments with honest debate.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 05:18:48 PM PDT

•  If it weren't for the upraters (0+ / 0-)

This whole comment section would be hidden because of you.  Three HRs and not one substantive comment.  Get over yourself.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 05:58:25 PM PDT

•  It should have been hidden. (1+ / 0-)
                      KVoimakas

Even the person who made the comment admitted they were in the wrong -- but you already knew that, having replied to the comment in which they made that admission.  It's right here, in case you've forgotten.

88kathy's own words:

So this was an HRable comment and should NOT be uprated.
                      And, of course, you left your uprate, even after the poster asked those uprates to be removed.

Yet I am the one who should get over themselves.

Funny, funny stuff.  Surely you can see, with this sort of behavior on your part, I don't find your arguments, based on falsehoods as they are, to be particularly compelling.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 06:07:16 PM PDT

•  Then don't reply to my comments. (0+ / 0-)

Simple.  Just keep patrolling other people's diaries and continue to crap on them.  Don't be surprised if I call you out sometimes when you do.  I find your behavior petty and childish, and find no pleasure in conversing with you directly.  For KV to hold you up as an example of discretion when it comes to the hide rate feature of this site is laughable.  That is what I was responding to.  Couldn't care less how my arguments impact you.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 06:14:24 PM PDT

•  Funny stuff. (1+ / 0-)
                          KVoimakas

Really.

I find it quite telling that you do not defend your own actions in uprating a comment which was in violation of site rules and leaving that uprate even when asked to remove it by the commenter -- all the while feeling justified in lecturing others for behavior that you, personally, don't like.

It only leaves one with the assumption that you know that you cannot justify that behavior, and would rather deflect attention from it by leveling false allegations against others.

You can call me out as often as you'd like -- when those call outs are lies, such as in this case, they are not particularly compelling.

That you must resort to such dishonesty does not speak well for your own stance on this matter.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 06:20:59 PM PDT

• Recommended (142)
  • Community (70)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Memorial Day (26)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (25)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (20)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Education (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site