View Diary: IAN:That's Entertainment (69 comments)

•  Yesterday I must have removed a hundred spiral (8+ / 0-)

nails from the damaged bottom boards of my garage.  Today there are only two short boards to do, but very carefully, as they are on the front on either side of the door.  Then, new tar paper and replacement with new boards before painting.  I am fortunate that masonite siding in my size is still manufactured, and it is actually better than the original boards.

That nail pulling stuff is hard on my hands and aggravates the arthritis in the knuckles.  Partner will install the new boards, he works with power tools and it is nearly impossible to drive a nail into masonite by hand!

The day is sunny and nearly 80 degrees, fine weather for home improvement!

Tomorrow, the flea market!

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. & http://www.dailykos.com/blog/Okiciyap

by weck on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 06:22:42 AM PDT

•  Mornin weck! (7+ / 0-)

Luckily my hands don't hurt from scrubbing grout.

It's going up to 82 and sunny in Chicago today.   Nice outdoor weather.

Have a wonderful day.

I am a work in progress. Still.

by broths on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 06:47:30 AM PDT

•  Grout scrubbing sounds like a pain in the knees (7+ / 0-)

to me!

My sister's whole house in Florida is tiled,  I can't imagine what that must be like to scrub!  She is slowly working toward hardwoods and carpets as the kids age out.

At least something looks good when you get done scrubbing;  there is little satisfaction from demolition work, and partner will take all the credit for making it look good again!

Enjoy that beautiful day in the windy city!

by weck on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 07:04:00 AM PDT

•  yeah, cleaning grout & re-sealing. we're working (4+ / 0-)
          FloridaSNMOM, broths, weck, Kit RMP

on the bathroom! my DH swears he's going to use dark(er) grout the next time! must admit, tile is a great surface for a bathroom floor!

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 12:38:10 PM PDT

•  I would like tile in a bathroom, I am fond of the (2+ / 0-)
            broths, Kit RMP

little mosaic tiles because they aren't slippery and for the vintage look.  I would want a heated floor with that!   I like marble too, but I don't think I would like the maintenance.

by weck on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 03:12:56 PM PDT

•  Stoopie nails! (4+ / 0-)
      BadKitties, FloridaSNMOM, broths, Kit RMP

The ones in the front boards were still spiral, but longer and bigger and even more difficult to remove without damaging the boards I am going to reuse.  (Thank you for listening.)

by weck on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 10:27:50 AM PDT

•  have you considered using screws instead of nails (4+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM, broths, Kit RMP, weck

in the replacement? power screwdrivers!!! phillips head (the x) or square-drives...  my DH the woodworker now does ALL his construction with screws as it is SO much easier to get the durn'd things back out, sometime down the road! well, you do have to be aware of painting them closed, but even so, you can usually get them back out again (a metal turkey pin is often JUST the right size to excavate a plugged up square-drive!)

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 12:36:51 PM PDT

•  Partner does use a special, non-rusting screw when (2+ / 0-)
        broths, Kit RMP

he puts up the new boards.  He rarely uses nails, even when it is more appropriate.  He knows how I feel about using screws for putting up trim now!

It's not as if he doesn't have a dozen nail sets!  Fortunately it was not at our home, only the store.  He then used a yellow wood putty to fill the holes and that looks bad too.  We had the talk!  Maybe some day I will paint the trim, but it was supposed to be stained, and I am still holding the grudge.

by weck on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 03:18:29 PM PDT