View Diary: Let Me Show You Why People Support Scott Walker (+ some videos) (172 comments)

•  Social media is a waste of time. (2+ / 0-)
    Puddytat, lotlizard

It's a cesspool of corporate media and sock puppetry with a dash of corporate sponsored algorithm tossed in for message control.

We need to create an alternative media system - complete with compensation for quality programming, etc - that rivals the corporate media.

Kos could have helped facilitate this by hooking up with FDL, MyDD, DU, Booman, Docudharma, (and the rest of the soap blox and scoop crowd), HuffPo, and dead simple RSS feeds, etc back in 2007-8 or so, but he decided to lock it down and make it a stand alone destination.

Well, he crashed the gates, congrats on that... He didn't bring anyone with him, but he did it gol'darnit...

And here we are, still - without any megaphone.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 02:30:41 PM PDT

•  Your premise is wrong. Social media launched (13+ / 0-)

Arab spring. And the occupy movements.

As for creating an alternate media stream - why don't you get it started! It'll only take a coupla decades and a mega-sized bankroll to do so. In meantime the rest of us will carry on with the tools we've got right now, TYVM.

"I don't love writing, but I love having written" ~ Dorothy Parker // Visit my Handmade Gallery on Zibbet

by jan4insight on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 02:39:18 PM PDT

•  I don't believe that social media launched the (5+ / 0-)

Arab spring. I believe it may have played a significant role, and I know it was used, but started it? I don't think so.

I did, at the time, believe that it was a big mover and shaker of that movement, but that's because Social Media was the zeitgeist and it felt empowering.

Now, I think it's quite simply a datamining operation and a highly sophisticated form of Psyops, with the emphasis at this time being on the Psy - the ops has just started over the last few years, IMO, now that everybody is doing it.

As far as creating my own media and networks I have been, for about 15 years. Pretty decent content too. I've been pretty influential in my little part of the world as well. I touch 55-60 countries monthly and the other day I had people from 5 continents on the site at one time (google analytics is scary!). But I'm just a small niche player looking for some distribution - and outside of the TV, it ain't out there.

I've started and failed a couple of organizations on the media front, it's terrible work - thankless and pennyless, for the most part. All of us passionate, talented people are missing exactly 2 things to make a splash - money & distribution.

You were not an user here when this place was a real mover and shaker - when did you get here? '08? Was that before or after the massive blowup with FDL? Before or after MSOC?

This place had all the potential in the world to become an alternative media cornerstone, the Crashing of the Gates book included.

But it didn't do anything but focus on getting respected by the corporate media. Some of the best talent here was run out of town in order to earn the respect of the corporate media.

It was a terrible decision, a bad play, and it's done over and over by nearly every institution that gets close to the clout and power of the corporate media. They get close and then they lock it down and stop sharing.

For politics to change we must have an alternative media presence with a large megaphone. Facebook & Twitter are just not going to do it - it's not their function.

Peace~

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 03:04:14 PM PDT

•  I'd say that a comparison to the Arab Spring is (7+ / 0-)

disenguous.  The US Media Conglomerate Apperatus has much more power and presence than the state media of the smaller, arabic countries that were involved.  That, and a reliable news source in those countries -was- available -- Al Jezeera, which has, in my experience, has done a far better job of actual reportage than our yapping-head-based-media does.

When you're arguing against a RWer in the US, they can refer to 'authority figures' and their statements on news programs to back up their argument.  Actually referring them to first or second order sources that they'd have to read and interpret tends to be useless.

•  And that's exactly why (14+ / 0-)

Al Jezeera will be effectively shut out from the US market.  Look at how Time Warner and other cable providers took Current off their cable line ups before the ink was dry on the sale to Al Jezeera.

Ditto how CNN International, which has much better news than regular, RW loving CNN does, is only available on upper tier at a higher cost.

The TM fears those who produce actual, factual news because it exposes the crapola they put out.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 03:13:47 PM PDT

•  Seems like this place kind of does too. (2+ / 0-)
            Puddytat, mkor7

My comment somewhere right around here somewhere speaks to it.

Where are the other media sources that dKos should be caucusing or producing content with? I see no other organizations featured on the front page.

Why not? You know? We should be grooming these guys.

They've got CATO, AEI, CEI, and we've got dKos, FDL, and a couple of nice media entities.

I tell you, we could smoke CATO and AEI in content creation and meme generation. I have no doubt about it. We are smarter then them and don't have to lie.

But it takes organization.

jan4insight's comment about her SoMe presence prompted my comment because it's like pissing up Niagra Falls - it's not very effective, and teh people there riding the Maid of the Mist and looking at the pretty waterfall don't appreciate having their experience sullied.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 03:27:55 PM PDT

•  Until dKos can invade your home through (11+ / 0-)

push-based media -- that is, the boob-tube -- its ability to reach anyone is rather limited.  Furthermore, dKos -- The Great Orange Satan -- is implicitely an untrustworthy news source to most right-wingers; the fact that an assertation is made on dKos is de facto proof for them that it's false.  CATO and the AEI have enough money and contacts to not only get their crap in the papers and on the air but to saturate them; Kos doesn't.

Not that I don't take anything on Daily Kos without a grain of salt -- god knows that progressives have their own biases and will indeed slant news stories.  However, a good story on Kos contains substantiation in the form of links to more concrete sources than "some guy on the internet said so," and, OMG, I actually tend to research these before I say something, particularly when the story is rather outrageous.  But then, that's my reaction to just about any story I read from any media: if a source is available for more concrete information, go and check it out.

...Of course, by doing this, I put myself in the maybe 5-10% of the population who actually gives enough of a shit and isn't too lazy to do that, much less those who regard Fox News as a Source of Holy Truths.

•  Right, totally agree - push is a key - which (3+ / 0-)
                Puddytat, Praxical, greenearth

means that there must be more than politics. Has to branch out into wider culture.

You are totally correct in that the strength of this place is in the linkage & social vetting that goes on here.

I think ubiquity is probably a better term than Push at this point in time, but your point is totally valid.

I think that we are entering a stage in media where push is kind of a relative term - YouTube has HUGE potential, as does internet radio, but finding it, pulling it in is a bit tough and kind of requires political passion.

There's all kind of latent talent lying around this place and the Left of Center in general - TONS Of it.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 05:20:43 PM PDT

•  Proof on a personal level (4+ / 0-)

My RW brother and his friends were preaching to me about the Constitution. When I brought up the actual text of the document, they were dumfounded. They had never read it!

•  Perfectly said (2+ / 0-)
                  marina, nadd2

They get told what to believe and believe what they're told.  Unlike rational adults they're not skeptical.  I keep wondering if these are the guys the Nigerian Prince is targeting.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 11:56:50 AM PDT

•  You know? Are there any Progressive Media (6+ / 0-)

outlets out there?

You would think on a blog of this size that there would be a sizable contingent of Progressive media outlets featured prominently on site.

Where are they? Why are they not here?

There is no network.

I could start such a network, but I don't have nearly a million users, and politics is not my business - it's my writing practice and a passion of mine.

This place, connected with Real News, Democracy Now, the Kagro show, FDL, whoever else is out there - and some of the smaller corporate media rags could really establish a foothold for Left of Corporate Center politics.

Places like this are the hubs from which an alternative media structure should grow.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 03:21:49 PM PDT