View Diary: Next Up: Texas In The Rearview Mirror (251 comments)

•  They don't have cash-out Refis (13+ / 0-)

These were the death knell in many parts of the country, as unscrupulous mortgage brokers persuaded people who wholly owned their homes to refinance and take out cash to live on and then they couldn't repay the loans and lost their houses.  It devastated black neighborhoods in Oakland and Cleveland and probably many other places.  But such Refis are forbidden in Texas.

Texas is reputed to have some excellent areas for bird watching, but as with Arizona I won't go there until there is a Dem Governor, or at least a non-racist one.  Good luck in Carolina.  Keep the North from becoming South Carolina.

Don't bet your future on 97% of climate scientists being wrong. Take action on climate now!

by Mimikatz on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:47:13 AM PDT

•  Excellent point about the cash-out refis (14+ / 0-)

Sadly, Texas is rife with payday lenders, and other schemes to keep the poor financially enslaved.

And yes, the birding here is awesome, I've seen everything from teeny tiny hummingbirds to songbirds to herons, eagles, hawks, Roseate Spoonbills, ibises, and much much more

•  You won't go "unless"... (5+ / 0-)

And when you do, you'll wonder why you waited.

"I still think politics is about who's getting screwed and who's doing the screwing." -Molly Ivins

by texaseditor on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 09:13:47 AM PDT

•  If I can fly into and out of Austin (4+ / 0-)

and never leave there, I might go back.  But my experiences living there were, on the whole... not enchanting.  To be fair, I didn't see much (most) of the state, and as big as it is, certainly there must be places besides Austin that are nice... but I have honestly never been happier to leave a place ever.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 09:35:37 AM PDT

•  Texas has some impressive airports (5+ / 0-)

and I love flying over it, but driving across it requires either a supercar or something to keep you awake for 24 hours.

I was conceived in Paris, Texas but don't remember much of that period of my life. What I remember most was first off driving from Oklahoma through Fort Worth down to San Antonio in the sixties and discovering what Texans put on their tortillas for breakfast is not exactly the same as what New Englander's put on their pancakes although both can have their own particular intensities of flavor.

Some years later I discovered the difference between driving in along Route 10 from Phoenix through Marana, AZ and Tucsan to Ciudad Juarez and hopping over from Brownsville to Matamoros for lunch and being able to cross back with no wait and no hassle.

Live Free or Die --- Investigate, Incarcerate

by rktect on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 01:37:39 PM PDT

•  Texas is more / bigger / different than (4+ / 0-)

the stereotypes, but we do have some genuine good things here.
          Palo Duro Canyon, the Big Bend, the museums, Caprock Canyons State Park and the museum at Copper Breaks state park, the French Legation, the Mission Trail in El Paso, or ride the Galveston Island Ferry.  Y'all know there are a whole bunch of missions in San Antonio that weren't the site of a battle with Santa Anna, right?

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 04:21:13 PM PDT

•  Seems like we stopped in San Antonio (2+ / 0-)
            cassandracarolina, BlackSheep1

when I was a kid (1968) and the Alamo was closed.  No, seriously.  Closed.  But that was 40-something years (and more brain cells than I want to talk about) ago, so my memories of the place are kinda dim.  I had army buddies who used to dash down to Corpus Christi all the time and had good things to say about that.  But mostly... not great memories.

by mojo11 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 04:30:12 PM PDT

•  It is a museum now. (1+ / 0-)
              cassandracarolina

there are times when it is closed. It keeps regular business hours but mostly you don't find it open holiday-days, any nights past 6 pm, or Sundays before noon.

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:34:08 PM PDT