View Diary: Open thread for night owls: 10 reasons holding back economic recovery (61 comments)

•  It is devastating (8+ / 0-)

to see the opportunities that once may have been going right down the drain while shackled to a mountain of debt.

I am essentially a scab worker for nurses in direct care.  There is just no way for me to make it on what I have, and my other half can't find work.  We're lucky our family helps us out with the living situation, because with the way things are there's no way we could make it.  As it is one of ours had to come back out of retirement to work two Mcjobs just to make ends meet.

"You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind." -Morpheus, The Matrix

by Sarenth on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 09:39:54 PM PDT

•  It stunned me to hear my mother in law talking (3+ / 0-)
      high uintas, Calamity Jean, JeffW

about thieving CEOs taking huge bonuses while laying employees off.

I am a token conservative on this site, but she's about as far right of me as China is east (or west) of the US.

And Texan, besides.

It gives me a greater appreciation for all of the Tea Party folks -- not the ones on TV or radio, but the ordinary people who showed up and local rallies, etc.

Conservatives believe that you ahould be able to work hard and get ahead to the extent that your talent and desire will take you.  If more and more come to believe that the big boys have reneged on the deal and screwed over people trying to do the right thing, well -- let's just say that the big boys are mighty happy that progressives don't have the first clue about rank and file conservatives.  Keep the people divided, keep yourself on top.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 03:09:56 AM PDT

•  If the teabaggers (0+ / 0-)

would let go of their hate and racism and realize that they are getting just as fucked as we are then we could make common cause. But, I'm afraid they can't, they are wedded to it and continue to vote to make things worse.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:19:47 AM PDT

•  Hmmm. Yeah, it's just the tea party types. (0+ / 0-)

Not.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:16:20 AM PDT

•  Ummm (1+ / 0-)
            JeffW

Yes it is. If a bunch of tea party people got together to address the causes of income inequality rather than the effects only I believe they would quickly be joined by centrists and people on the left.

The problem is that the tea party believes that the actions that only a government can take aren't valid. I live in one of the reddest states out there and I know their thinking. they don't understand that it's not enough to just point at the problem, you have to deal with the cause.

Do they think that the "big boys" are going to regulate themselves? They sure as hell don't want a government with enough power to force regulation and they are happiest when there is none at all.

Most of them resent it if anyone who is comparable to them on the social scale gets any breaks. They don't believe that the government can do anything efficiently and are bound to prove it by making that government as weak as possible.

And, I have yet to see a tea party rally that doesn't have at least one reference to the race of our President. So yeah, I believe it is "just the tea party types".

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 06:21:15 PM PDT

•  Such a terrible place to be Sarenth (2+ / 0-)
      Calamity Jean, JeffW

I find more and more of the people I know are relying on family to keep afloat. My next door neighbor is on SSI, she has RA, Fibro, and a whole host of other autoimmune illnesses.

Her daughter is a single mother of two, her bladder and kidneys began to act weird a couple of years ago. She got one staph infection after another and other symptom began to appear. She worked at Walmart and was canned from missing too much work

Now she is living with her mother, still sick and waiting for a decision on SSI herself. She has developed brittle diabetes on top of everything, so now we have 4 people living in a two bedroom single wide trailer.

Last month my neighbors brother drove their mother up from Wyoming and dropped her with my neighbor for a visit then called and said he isn't coming to get her. She also has RA along with all the autoimmune stuff (I swear if it weren't for modern medicine this family wouldn't be here, they are an example of a tainted gene pool relating to illnesses).

Five people in a two bedroom single wide living on two SSI incomes and food stamps. WTF is going to happen to them?? What about their children? Sometimes I feel like lighting my hair on fire and screaming. This isn't a society it's a well appointed jungle.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine