View Diary: A Sequester or Vacation? (39 comments)

•  This is ridiculous. (4+ / 0-)

These people were willing to practically give up their lives for weeks on end. So they stayed some nights at a Marriott, and had room service. Jeez. Marriott's are far from being Four Seasons or Ritz Carltons. They are practical, basic hotels, nothing fancy. And these jurors watched movies, so what?

•  Doc..it is not the motel that I am unhappy (1+ / 0-)
      a2nite

about.  Seriously....it is the all the extra activities that could have swayed their decision,   They didn't just watch movies.  They were at malls, The Wax Museum, Watching Fireworks show, bowling.   This was not sequestering.   they didn't go home and it looks to me like it was more vacation than concentrating on evidence they heard,

That is a lot of money some of us have to pay...in taxes and it said religious communities not pastors.    The whole church had access to them.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 11:12:11 PM PDT

•  It's doc2.... don't get riled (2+ / 0-)
        Victor Ward, Vetwife
      •  Jurors paid for those things themselves (0+ / 0-)

As is standard practice. And as the article you link to points out.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:08:18 AM PDT

•  They did not..Maybe the personal pedicures (1+ / 0-)
          JoanMar

but not the trips to the wax museum and movies, or salons and I am quite sure the gas was not paid from the motel to St Augustine,  etc.  Seriously?   What part of laying aside all business did this court and jury not get?
          personal appointments, they paid for..but not their entertainment .   Ok they paid to have their toe nails painted...They got paid to lay aside all business other than this case..what happened to that?

by Vetwife on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:24:36 AM PDT

•  I'm still not sure what the problem is (2+ / 0-)
            Dr Swig Mcjigger, doc2

Typically, the expenses by the state for such excursions mean the cost of the transportation, security, etc. But even if the Sheriff's office picked up the cost of a night of bowling, so what? Again, sequestered jurors are not paid anything (aside from a small stipend) and separated and their lives and their families, not to mention their jobs, for weeks and sometimes months.  And you're upset about a few day trips?

If these women are going to make a sacrifice that the state asks and expects them to make, I don't have any problem with trying to make the experience reasonably comfortable.  Considering the recent stories about the hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars spent on Federal employees entertainment during conventions in Vegas, etc., I think your anger has more to do with the verdict in this case than how much was spent on the sequestration.

Dammit Jim, I'm a lawyer, not a grammarian. So sue me.

by Pi Li on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:34:26 AM PDT

•  The sheriff's dept is paid by the taxpayer (1+ / 0-)
              a2nite

so The State picked up the tab. The Sheriff's dept just authorized ..they didn't pay for anything.  We will.

I am a very literal person.  Laying aside ALL business would include to me most of everything I was accustomed to by being at home.  To concentrate on evidence.  I may just take my duties too serious for things like a murder trial and jury duty.  Maybe I watched too many movies like 12 angry men.  Maybe I think justice and moderation outweighs my personal needs other than health and doctor appointments.   You didn't say so but I think some people need to understand what sacrafice is.  This did not seem like much of a sacrafice to me.

by Vetwife on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:09:02 AM PDT

•  The bigger problem is that there were TVs on (0+ / 0-)

many of the places they went, and there's no mention that the venues were instructed or supervised to restrict the TV programming to avoid any news.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 04:54:08 PM PDT

•  Extra activities (1+ / 0-)
        doc2

Are a good thing. it's better to have them watching movies and fireworks and bowling that having them improperly discuss the case.

•  They are grownups (0+ / 0-)

They could have done crosswords.
          I can certainly see by some of these comments.. that entertainment that costs money is very important to those used to having some privilege in life.   Entertinment is well and good as long as one pays from their own pocket .  When it comes from We the People..We have a right to bitch about some of this.

by Vetwife on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:41:55 AM PDT

•  And what is wrong with Motel 6? (2+ / 0-)
      WakeUpNeo, a2nite

The Marriott is not exactly Motel 6 either.  Price is the difference as well.   Willing to give up their lives?   A manicure couldn't wait?   I think calling it a sequester was ridiculous.

by Vetwife on Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 11:17:18 PM PDT

•  "Willing to give up their lives?" (3+ / 0-)
      Vetwife, JaxDem, Eric Nelson

Last time I was asked to serve on a jury willingness had less to do with it than duty (punishable if I didn't) to show up and possibly be selected. The only "live" they seemed willing to "give up" was Trayvon Martin's.

I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake. ― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

by dannyboy1 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 04:25:51 AM PDT

•  Yeah..don't know when (1+ / 0-)
        a2nite

they found time to actually think about what they had heard in the jury box.  Of course the prosecution did a bad job but still....22 days is just three weeks.. They knew when they packed their bags that they were not going on a picnic.

by Vetwife on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 09:06:10 AM PDT

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site