View Diary: Top Comments - Fighting the Closer Fights (97 comments)

•  So far so good (9+ / 0-)

Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House yesterday, Van Gogh and red light district today, afternoon canal cruise, then dinner. Two dinners so far at restaurants with sidewalk dining, watching the crowds go by relaxing with wine.

Perfect weather so far, mid 70's and not a cloud in the sky as we ate outdoors last evening.

Marry the one you love, not the one a bigot says you're allowed to love.

by lotac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:40:16 PM PDT

•  You are lucking out (8+ / 0-)

with the weather, although this is usually a really nice time of year for Amsterdam. I've been in the winter and a cold wind did blow up my skirt.

I can't wait to see the Rijksmuseum refurbished. I'm going to try to get back next Spring.

•  What a wonderful collection they have (8+ / 0-)

We met up there just before 9AM opening yesterday. By the time 9 actually hit, the lineup was already very long. We spent about 3 hours inside, and the entrance line then was even longer.

Our friend had the forethought to inquire and make a reservation for the Anne Frank House. That turned out to be a huge time saver. The line up to get in without reservation was unbelievable, and they only allow in a steady trickle due to capacity. I imagine that line would be hours long. It is, almost to go without saying, a moving experience.

Marry the one you love, not the one a bigot says you're allowed to love.

by lotac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:49:43 PM PDT

•  I give you mad props (5+ / 0-)
          high uintas, gizmo59, lotac, BeninSC, Ninepatch

for doing both in one day. That is a lot of touristing. The Rijksmuseum's collection is staggering. I've been four times and still haven't seen it all.

As for the Anne Frank House, you can't help but walk away feeling the pain of history. The whole of the Netherlands suffered terribly under the Nazi's and no where do you feel more connected to what happened than there it that house.

•  That is definitely a visit I'd like to make. (3+ / 0-)
            lotac, Steveningen, Ninepatch

I'm sure it would be hard. Visiting Buchenwald was ... very hard, indeed.

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's CREATION." _ Jonathan Larson, RENT -9.62, -9.13

by BeninSC on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:05:25 PM PDT

•  We have a side trip to Berlin coming up (2+ / 0-)
              Ninepatch, BeninSC

that includes a stop at Sachsenhausen. I expect that to be intense.

Marry the one you love, not the one a bigot says you're allowed to love.

by lotac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:15:36 PM PDT

•  Berlin is a fascinating City. (0+ / 0-)

I visited twice, will never forget either visit.

I remember a tiny museum I visited in the western sector, dedicated to the resistance movement in the Third Reich. I just checked, I believe it still exists (my visit was in the 70's!): here. If you would care to try it. By now I expect they accommodate visitors of varied nationalities.

Have a great time! I envy you that visit!

by BeninSC on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 06:33:51 AM PDT

•  Such a reminder of how cruel some can be (3+ / 0-)
            BeninSC, Steveningen, Ninepatch

to their fellow humans. The place is appropriately dark and quiet. When you finally reach the upper hidden levels, you really think about what was going on in those days. I was a bit perturbed by the glaring Samsung logos on the monitors throughout most of the house. Not the usual kind of logos we see on screens these days, but in-your-face illuminated glaring "Samsung". Everywhere. And rather inappropriate, IMHO.

Among the 4 of us here, we have 2 detailers who want to see every exhibit, read every note plaque, and take it all in; th other 2 are more inclined to pass through quickly. We are all compromising.

Marry the one you love, not the one a bigot says you're allowed to love.

by lotac on Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:05:52 PM PDT

•  Truth be told (3+ / 0-)
              lotac, Ninepatch, BeninSC

I much prefer visiting museums on my own. Sometimes Brian and I will just agree to meet up in the lobby at a certain time and follow our own bliss.

I'm disappointed to hear about the Samsung thing. I agree. This is not a space for any self-promotion.