View Diary: The Moral Verdict on Bradley Manning: A Conviction of Love in Action (13 comments)

•  I'd Probably Tell Myself the Same Thing (2+ / 0-)
    Angryallen, VClib

...in his place.

Of course, I woudn't be in his place.

My father worked in the Department of Corrections for about thirty years; I know typically you can donate money to a "commissary account" so that convicts can spend additional money on meals or the company store.

So with all the moral love or whatever he's built up, I'm guessing he'll eat well and have lots to read for the next 200-300 years.

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 07:48:17 AM PDT

•  Yeah, and if he serves the full sentence (2+ / 0-)
      Words In Action, TooFolkGR

he will no doubt be observing  the people living in a dystopian future under total mind control who refused to understand the message of both Manning and Snowden . . . . our national security state is a corporatist nightmare nonresponsive to any opinion other than their paranoid delusions.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. ~Thomas Jefferson

by bobdevo on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 09:37:37 AM PDT

•  Still waiting for your moral courage to make such (1+ / 0-)
      TooFolkGR

a difference in the world.

Okay, but how many shits is it worth to you?
      Shop Kos Katalogue

by Words In Action on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 09:42:59 AM PDT

•  TooF - it will be interesting to see how much (1+ / 0-)
      TooFolkGR

financial support Manning receives in prison. Does anyone know how much has been donated to help cover his legal expenses?

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 09:44:32 AM PDT

•  I'm Not Sure (1+ / 0-)
        Tool

I remember WikiLeaks pledged $10k or something a few years ago?  Maybe 20k?  I'm guessing that's a fraction of his overall legal fees.

I'm guessing he'll see another outpouring of donations after his conviction/sentencing or acquittal.

If even that isn't enough, and he's convicted... well... he's got sixty years to make license plates.  That must pay something.

by TooFolkGR on Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 09:57:10 AM PDT

•  I don't think there is an doubt that he will be (1+ / 0-)
          TooFolkGR

convicted. He already confessed to violations of the UCMJ that have terms of 20 years. I think he will be sentenced to life. His case will then start on its road of appeals. If I remember my UCMJ code correctly there are five or six levels of appeal, including to federal court. I think by the end of the appeal process his sentence will be lowered to a fixed number of years, like 30-40.

"let's talk about that"