View Diary: Dream Defenders, Day 16: When "soft on crime" kills (49 comments)

•   btw, I support the Dreamers completely (1+ / 0-)
    johnny wurster

yet this is a issue we disagree on completely.  If this is actually a organization of actual "dreamers" and not just some group glomming on to a popular name......

I am very glad I don't have to wonder if some DA attempting to make a name for themselves will charge me in a self defense situation because I didn't try to retreat enough, a fairly common outcome before SYG and Castle laws,

Hell I have a friend who did time for self defense against her pig of an abusive husband before these laws and the battered women syndrome defense was available.....

she just couldn't take one more beating for her and her boy and it cost her....though the Judge was great and sentenced her as lightly as possible considering the circumstances......

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
    I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
    Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 03:03:57 PM PDT

•  Perhaps you could check the links (4+ / 0-)

educate yourself about this group, and then cast aspersions?

Hermits have no peer pressure. -- Steven Wright
      Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue

by tytalus on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 03:26:44 PM PDT

•  In your opinion, who are the (4+ / 0-)

"real dreamers?"
      Just curious.

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 03:53:12 PM PDT

•  Dream Defenders (4+ / 0-)

Not sure what you mean by "glomming."

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 04:22:05 PM PDT

•  He may be confusing them with the Dream Act (4+ / 0-)

'dreamers'. As for "glomming" it's in the book. If buddabelly detects some hostility in my tone it might be because of his opening salvos.

glommed glom·ming
        Definition of GLOM
        : take, steal
        : seize, catch
        — glom on to
        : to grab hold of : appropriate to oneself

Hermits have no peer pressure. -- Steven Wright
        Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue

by tytalus on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 04:38:37 PM PDT

•  Yes, I see now, from the diary history (5+ / 0-)

someone who apparently dreams of making cheap ammo for his shotgun, so much so that they wrote a whole diary discussing how one goes about reloading spent shells that they can pick up for free at the range.

Poster thinks the action is Florida is glomming onto pro immigration activists work and the Dream Act?

Original post makes a lot of sense now.

by LilithGardener on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 05:11:26 PM PDT

•  It's not about cheap ammo though that helps, it's (1+ / 0-)
            johnny wurster

about better ammo than I can buy over the counter as I control the components and can match the ammunition to the gun to tune the accuracy. It is much cheaper for some loadings and calibers, for others, it is actually more expensive since the prices of commodities like copper and lead went through the roof.

I also reload metallic cartridges,  cast my own projectiles and shoot black powder too, even a bow on occasion both compound and recurve, amazing, a liberal who shoots and reloads.  Or maybe not as there's lots of other liberals who do the same. Including lots of your fellow Kossaks.

and yes I was mistaken I see on the origin of the name.  Being here on the border I tend to associate the name Dreamer with one group of people.

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
            I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
            Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 01:00:43 AM PDT

•  So it's more like artisanal ammo? ;) (2+ / 0-)

You sound like an expert and I respect that kind of attention to detail, and I know the satisfaction of fine craftmanship when you can make items that you want/need of higher quality than you can buy.

Thank you for that clarification.

by LilithGardener on Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 06:42:13 AM PDT

•  actually, though I've never heard it described (1+ / 0-)
                LilithGardener

that way, it's a darn good explanation.

It is artisanal ammo in reality.  It is small batch, highly controlled, and very precisely measured to be perfect for the firearm it's made for. to give you an idea of how precise, smokeless powder is loaded by weight and it's weighed in grains....there are 7000 grains in a pound and a load is weighed to the tenth of a grain, measurements are in thousandths of an inch.

every gun is a slightly different proposition,  even 2 of the same make and caliber can shoot very differently with the same ammo.

It is fun getting accused of giving someone factory ammo when you made it yourself...I had to have a buddy vouch for one box as the cat just wouldn't believe they were my own projectiles and reloads until the buddy who saw me working on them backed me up.....

I have always made and fixed things...since I blew out my back one too many times, my favorite, cars, are now off limits so I had to refocus on something smaller and lighter and that doesn't require overhead work or bending over constantly.

It is very satisfying to use things you made yourself imo....I actually prefer the reloading to the shooting....I catch myself on occasion going to the range to free up some brass just so I can try a different load recipe or a new powder or something....that's when you know you have the reloading bug.......

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
                I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
                Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 01:27:30 PM PDT

•  Yep, the use of that word tells us (4+ / 0-)

all we need to know.

by JoanMar on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 05:53:21 PM PDT

•  exactly, I thought the name was derived from the (0+ / 0-)

current use of the word.  The kids I see every day who deserve a chance here too. Being 35 or so miles from the border I see a lot more of those "Dreamers" and they are much more in the news here.

I still completely disagree on the stance on so called syg laws, glad to hear the name is derived from a different and much more appropriate source.

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
          I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
          Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 12:49:29 AM PDT

•  Any chance you recall Martin Luther King? (7+ / 0-)

Since you seem a little lost, I'll help you find your way out.

One of the most famous quotes from his "I have a dream" speech was about being judged for the content of one's character instead of the color of one's skin.

Get it?

Dream Defenders is a reference to Martin Luther King's dream that his children might grow up to enjoy the same protections under the law that white people can take for granted.

by LilithGardener on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 04:25:58 PM PDT

•  No looks like you're trolling nt (5+ / 0-)

nosotros no somos estúpidos