View Diary: Love him or hate him, Glenn Greenwald Nails It Against a Beltway Insider Who Only Has Excuses. (384 comments)

•  heh, thanks SeanF (8+ / 2-)

I know it's like pissing in the wind to question anything in a Greenwald diary.  But I remain fascinated by the hive mind in action, whether in a right wing fever swamp or, lately, here on the left.

•  The right likes to yell, "Benghazi!" (5+ / 0-)
      WinSmith, sunbro, SeanF, Hey338Too, Mash

The far left likes to yell, "Glenn Greenwald!"

The rest of us collectively shake our head, roll our eyes, and chuckle.

How about I believe in the unlucky ones?

by BenderRodriguez on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 04:51:45 PM PDT

•  I was against this stuff before Obama was (6+ / 0-)

President, as I'm sure most of you Greenwald-bashing obsessed people were.  The difference is that I didn't change my opinion once a Democrat was in charge of it, and helped expand it.

Forget the messenger!  We know!   He sucks, he's an attention whore, he's only in this for the money and fame.

This "far lefty" doesn't really give two shits about Greenwald.   Let's talk about the issue, or what is the point?

You dislike Greenwald!   GREAT!

Now that that is out of the way, are you okay with the NSA's new-found power since 9/11?

The tent got so big it now stands for nothing.

by Beelzebud on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 05:13:20 PM PDT

•  We are talking about the issues (8+ / 0-)

The issue is whether Manning committed a crime.

According to Greenwald, no release of classified documents, no matter how large or discriminate, is a crime.

And that makes sense.  Libertarian activists like Greenwald want to see the American government burn for crimes against humanity, so anything that cripples the infrastructure is celebrated.

Greenwald may be a clown, but it's the argument he puts forth that is being criticized.

As a "far lefty" do you believe in government or not?

Like me, you probably want to see government made more transparent, more effective, and more honest.  That involves reforming FISA and supporting Dems (like Wyden) who push to do so.

If you believe Dems and Reps and Bush and Obama are TEH SAME (tm), you're probably not a liberal.

You're an anti-government libertarian.  Like Snowden and Greenwald.

They advocate that anyone releasing any classified document at any time is a "whistle blower."

Those of us who live in a more nuanced reality realize that Manning dumped 700,000 documents to Wikileaks.  No government can function if privates in the army get away with this without punishment.

That doesn't mean I support anything to do with the Iraq War bullshit.

•  Brilliant. (3+ / 0-)
            Hey338Too, WinSmith, BenderRodriguez

Well spoken.

I hear gardening is a nice hobby.

by SeanF on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 07:15:19 PM PDT

•  That's the crux (1+ / 0-)
            WinSmith
            As a "far lefty" do you believe in government or not?

Spoken like a true progressive.
            •  Only if (2+ / 0-)
              PhilJD, poligirl

The question "do you believe in government or not," is made into a binary choice.

You can believe in some parts and not others.

For example, I don't believe in a bloated military just because it's part of the government. And I certainly don't endorse a bloated military just because some other part of the government says we should have a bloated military.

by DeadHead on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 08:48:46 PM PDT

•  Woah, was that nuance? (2+ / 0-)
                Mash, WinSmith

Don't lecture me about binaries. Those of us that haven't joined your friends have been accused of being rightwing authoritarians all too often around here. And now with the strategy to ignore anything outside your dogma? Sheesh.

And bloated military? Who the hell is arguing for that? WinSmith and i believe in reform, but we're not taking our prescriptions from one solitary journalist and his source (not that they offer one, anyway).

•  What's with the fucking attitude? (2+ / 0-)
                  poligirl, JesseCW

I wasn't lecturing you about shit.

All I said was that the assertion that one had to "love ALL the government" in order to be a progressive was a binary view, in my opinion.

And I never claimed anyone was arguing for a bloated military. That's why I used the words "for example" in my comment.

Instead of actually READING the fucking comment, a rather non-aggressively worded one, you decided to jump down my fucking throat and bring the factional "your friends" bullshit into it.

Because you don't like me or Greenwald or anyone else who doesn't kiss the president's ass no matter what he does.

Fine. Enjoy yourself.

Goodbye.

by DeadHead on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 10:47:28 PM PDT

•  Didn't that really convince you he's not a Right (0+ / 0-)

Wing Authoritarian Follower?

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 09:53:11 AM PDT

•  "Love all government" (0+ / 0-)

Way to keep slinging the strawmen, DeadHead.

No one said you had to "Love all government."  The distinction is whether you believe good government is possible. Or not.

You know who doesn't believe in government?  Rand Paul.  Ron Paul.  Edward Snowden.  Glenn Greenwald.

Pick your sides.  Liberalism and libertarianism do not go together.

If you believe a benevolent, functioning government is possible, whether for healthcare, food stamps, or, yes, spying to catch terrorists, then you work to make government better.  Not tear it down.

If you're a liberal, that is.