View Diary: Freedom means burning your non-existent Obamacare card. Like the hippies would have (152 comments)

•  The great royal houses of Europe have always (0+ / 0-)

done that. In the Netherlands, all of the royals of both sexes are required to serve in the military in a real and actual way.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Aug 02, 2013 at 09:28:52 AM PDT

•  I figured as much (1+ / 0-)
      commonmass

but I only knew for sure about the UK.  It seems only fair.  But then, "fairness" rarely enters into the conversation.

I wonder if this also applies to members of the various European parliaments.  There are countries that have mandatory military service for all able persons.  I think Switzerland is one of them, and maybe Iceland as well.  Not sure about any others.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 at 09:44:22 AM PDT

•  France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, you name it (0+ / 0-)

they have universal service.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Aug 02, 2013 at 09:47:13 AM PDT

•  Iceland? (0+ / 0-)

Lol, we don't even have a military.  ;)

•  Oh... yeah (0+ / 0-)

that's right...  But you WERE part of GWB's coalition, maybe that's what confused me.

How hard is it to become an Icelandic citizen anyway? I've always wanted to go there, but I'm afraid I wouldn't ever want to leave.

by mojo11 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 07:07:41 AM PDT

•  You first need dvalarleyfi (0+ / 0-)

- that is, a residence permit.  Which in the general case means either a job in a technical field or marrying an icelander.  Then you need to live here for the specified length of time - coming from the US, that's 7 if you're single or married to someone who's not an Icelander, 5 years if you're in a registered cohabitation with an Icelander, or 3 if you're married to an Icelander.  The citizenship test includes fluency in Icelandic, although I've heard it's not that hard, and after even 3 years in country you really should be unless you're "one of those" people who never uses the language.

Já þýðir já. Nei þýðir nei. Hvað er svona erfitt við það?

by Rei on Sun Aug 04, 2013 at 04:12:50 PM PDT

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

I guess the hard part is the initial residence permit, eh?  I hope to see the place before I die, regardless.  It's been on my wish list for a long time now.

by mojo11 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 01:57:51 PM PDT