View Diary: What is Neoliberalism? (158 comments)

•  Maybe you should learn to explain (0+ / 0-)

obscure ideas that connect the general good to pi.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Fri Aug 02, 2013 at 09:35:13 PM PDT

•  If you had an open mind, I might do so. But you (0+ / 0-)

clearly don't and this is typical of people who blindly support the academic role in American life. They simply cannot bear any criticism. Just look at the offensive tone of this diary. The author took it upon himself (or herself) to teach ordinary people how to use proper terminology in discussing our government. And when I wouldn't accept that tutorial attitude I was called anti-intellectual and strange. How insulting, and how typical.

Larry Summers is a solid example of this attitude and of the academic way of life. Greenspan, even though he was not an academic, he still mirrored its attitudes and ways and look where his theoretical ideas (Randian) took us. So academics have a very poor track record in providing us with useful ideas.

If you knew me you would know that my own intellectual life in high school, college, and my profession was noticed by teachers and friends alike. In fact I have been called an "intellectual" myself many times, and it was meant to be disparaging. "Anti-intellectualism" is rampant where I live down here in Texas. But I am not a scholar. I am a concretist, a systems designer who builds concrete social structures that real people use to do real things that are useful and important. There are lots and lots of us who do this and who have done this. I am an old man, born before WWII, and my working life took place years ago, and I retired in 1995. But during those years I, and an entire generation like me, built many useful systems. Some of those I helped build are still in use today and affect the daily lives of millions of Americans.

During my thinking life I was inspired at an early age by returning WWII veterans to study our institutions to see if they could be improved. I vowed in high school to live my whole life doing this as a meanwhile task. I further vowed that if, at the end, I had learned anything worthwhile I would write about it. I have reached the end stage and I am about to publish my book to fulfill my vows. The greatest intellectual joy in my life has been making something out of nothing but an idea, and this last project has been the most joyous and the most burdensome. It has been hard to keep at it year after year and decade after decade, especially when I watched academia do nothing but prance and preen and contribute almost nothing to progress. Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (by the way, I was trained to be a mathematician), are the disciplines that have built things, not political philosophy. Religion, philosophy, business, government, political parties, and the like are our major ideological entities and they have done nothing to advance the life of the People.

So, I am dead serious about all this stuff. I want things to change, and this diary is a good example of people who do not want things to change. It is an old story. The men who argued about the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin are the intellectual ancestors of this diary.

Might and Right are always fighting, in our youth it seems exciting. Right is always nearly winning, Might can hardly keep from grinning. -- Clarence Day

by hestal on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 02:49:15 AM PDT

•  So you assume I don't have an open (0+ / 0-)

mind because here are others who have disagreed with your beliefs. That hardly seems fair. You could have spent three paragraphs giving me an overview instead of telling me about yourself. I never claimed Rawls was the end all be all of political theory, I just threw him out as an interesting read in contemporary political theory.  There's also a lot to criticize.

by AoT on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 08:23:31 AM PDT

•  No, that is not true. You intervened in an (0+ / 0-)

exchange that I was having with someone else about which political theorists I should listen to. You presented yourself as an authority, and you named Rawls. But you obviously didn't know much about him until I listed a few of his shortcomings, at which point you tried to distance yourself from him. You simply did not know what you were talking about and I caught you in the act.

It is easy to see that you do not have an open mind, your sarcastic remark about pi shows it.

I have discussed my ideas with many others over the years and many have disagreed. Many of them have been just as sarcastic and unjustifiably self-assured as you are. But that is the way life works. In fact my ideas predict that a substantial portion of the population will reject my ideas because I describe in detail their shortcomings, and propose ways to keep them from continuing to do harm. Which, if you think about it, is just what our country needs right now and for the future: a way, a process, that will transform our lives for the better. I am working on that process and will soon publish my book about it.

What have you been doing about our national crisis? Making smart remarks about things you don't understand? Assuming an air of authority that you have not earned? Since that is what you have been doing here, it is fair to assume that  you will continue.

by hestal on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 11:32:09 AM PDT

•  What havevI been doing? (0+ / 0-)

Out helping start occupy was one thing I did. Currently I'm in the process of starting an art group that looks at how art and politics interacts.  And you?

As for my supposed lack of an open mind, if all you can do is accuse others of not being open minded enough to listen to your ideas and never explain your ideas then you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

by AoT on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 12:22:06 PM PDT

•  Well, I hope that the art group turns out (0+ / 0-)

to be more effective than the occupy group, but I doubt that it will do anything much to help us deal with all of the problems that we face right now.

"And you?" I told you up thread what I am doing, but apparently you either did not read it or have already forgotten what you read.

Have a nice time at the art meeting. Maybe some political scientists will be there and you can discuss which of the two groups is least effective. Should be very interesting.

I know you need, really need to have the last word, so go ahead and take your best shot. I promise to read it and not respond.

by hestal on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 01:48:46 PM PDT

•  "I promise to read it and not respond" (0+ / 0-)

And here we see the last refuge of someone who still cannot give a description or even a link to a description of their beliefs. Accuse the other person of "wanting the last word" after repeatedly insulting them. I hope you're proud of your petty attempt to make others look foolish by repeatedly not explaining a single idea you have.

As for what you're doing, you claim to be writing a book that most everyone will hate because of your brutal honesty and incredible insight. But insult those of us who are doing work beyond just theory and elections yet again.

And if you care to give a description of link to your ideas I would gladly read it.

by AoT on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 05:40:20 PM PDT