View Diary: Why? (16 comments)

•  Some ask "why" simply as a delaying tactic. (0+ / 0-)

Children are notorious at it, hoping the looming chore or homework assignment will be forgotten.

Are you delaying doing something you don't want to do?  ; )

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 03:23:21 PM PDT

•  nope eom (2+ / 0-)
      Neuroptimalian, churchylafemme

"We didn't set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people's hearts." - Pema Chodron

by teacherken on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 03:31:55 PM PDT

•  I utterly disagree (2+ / 0-)
      teacherken, churchylafemme

the children I have known don't ask why to delay but to learn. Perhaps one of the worst things to do is to stifle a child's curiosity.

If a child asks why you should answer, perhaps not completely and certainly keep their mental age in mind but you should still answer.

In the time that I have been given, I am what I am
      Shop Kos Katalogue
      Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 03:33:40 PM PDT

•  Lucky you not to have encountered ... (0+ / 0-)

such children, then.  ; )

The two I'm thinking of particularly frequently use "why" purposefully to delay doing chores, in hopes their counter-arguments will get them out of having to do them entirely.  It never works, though it sometimes gets them extra chores assigned by their parents as a consequence when the answer to "why" is already well known.

by Neuroptimalian on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 04:23:27 PM PDT

•  I wasn't there so I won't comment on that (0+ / 0-)

In the time that I have been given, I am what I am
          Shop Kos Katalogue
          Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 04:48:18 PM PDT

•  Sometimes Kids use "Why"... (1+ / 0-)
          Neuroptimalian

Sometimes kids use "why?" as an attention-getting gambit.  Sometimes they use it to try to wheedle a parent into reversing themselves:  ("Go to bed."  "Why?") Sometimes they are truly wanting information.

Sometimes it's more than one of the above combined.

Judging the appropriate response to the situation is just one of the many fun challenges of parenting.

"All the World's a Stage and Everyone's a Critic." -- Mervyn Alquist