View Diary: Managed health care gets you dead. (16 comments)

•  Sounds completely bogus to me (1+ / 0-)
    corvo
    In January of this year, I went to the ER with severe stomach pain. They diagnosed me with acute appendicitis and I had an appendectomy. Simple in-out operation, less than 24 hours. That cost me around $2,500.
    I was in the hospital for under two days--no surgery-- and it cost me well in excess of $20,000. So what are you smoking anyway?

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 06:29:17 PM PDT

•  Furthermore... (1+ / 0-)
      corvo

I went to the ER because I had accidentally overdosed on one of my BP medications and that cost me $1000 in spite of the fact that I was in the hospital for less than one hour.

Are you by any chance saying that your out-of-pocket cost for the appendectomy was $2,500?

That I can believe. Otherwise, I repeat what I said earlier.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 06:37:42 PM PDT

•  After going back and re-reading (1+ / 0-)
        corvo

your diary, it appears that your insurance paid god only knows how much and you ended up with a bill of $2,500.

That I can believe, however, your diary could do a better job of explaining the situation.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 06:41:12 PM PDT

•  Sorry, didn't think that the details (0+ / 0-)

were worth going into.  Also didn't consider that some people who don't deal with insurance payments aren't going to see the numbers this way!  Yes, that's correct - I got a bill from that hospital for somewhere around $2,000-$2,500.  I don't remember the exact amount.  That, plus the other bill for the gall bladder, and the other bill for the ER visit, and I'm now in serious debt.

The bright side is that you could possibly qualify for a tax subsidy for the federal marketplace, which would mean at least you'd get routine visits and maintenance meds more cheaply.

I see you drivin' 'round town with the girl I love / And I'm like / Please proceed, Governor. - Dave Itzkoff

by Jensequitur on Tue Aug 06, 2013 at 11:02:04 AM PDT

•  One more thing... (1+ / 0-)
      corvo

I didn't have any insurance and at the end of the day the hospital wrote it off as a "charity case".

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 06:42:38 PM PDT

•  'Free' medical care. You gotta love it. n/t (0+ / 0-)
        •  At the time I was considering bankruptcy (0+ / 0-)

Without a doubt had the hospital not given me charity care I would have gone ahead and declared bankruptcy in which case they wouldn't have received a dime from me.

Non-profit hospitals are required to provide a certain percentage of their services as charity care in order to qualify for their favorable tax status.

So I got something and they got something.

Do you have a problem with that?

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 08:18:58 PM PDT

•  They incurred costs that will be paid by someone. (0+ / 0-)

It would not have been you in either case.

No, in the micro sense, I have no problem with it. In the macro sense, it's unsustainable.

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site