View Diary: Michigan doctor arrested for purposely misdiagnosing cancer (299 comments)

•  Why not?. . . Try this in a civilized country-- (0+ / 0-)

ya know, like Canada, France, or Germany.

"I'll not yield. -- Wendy Davis" "Fear is a habit. I am not afraid. -- Aung San Suu Kyi"

by sturunner on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 01:56:07 PM PDT

•  Yeah, you'd be arrested and charged... (4+ / 0-)
      doc2, FG, gramofsam1, VClib

...with a crime, you know, like here.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
      Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 02:11:00 PM PDT

•  Except that you would most likely be charged with (2+ / 0-)
        sturunner, Kevskos

harming the patients, not just defrauding the government.  If Medicare hadn't been involved most likely the only thing that would have happened is his malpractice insurance rates would have gone up.  At worst his license might have been suspended temporarily.  Remember, his crime is NOT that he deliberately injured patients for profit but that he defrauded the government.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 02:21:30 PM PDT

•  Exactly. n/t (0+ / 0-)

I deal in facts. My friends are few but fast.

by Farugia on Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 08:48:01 PM PDT

•  The feds can't sue for injuring (0+ / 0-)

patients. That is a state purview.

And Doctors are self regulated. That means their board is suppose to police the profession. They don't. There are directories of bad doctors around.

Malpractice insurance rates don't rise per claim like auto insurance. They should.

We have the wild wild west for medical practice in this country.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 06:02:27 AM PDT

•  Health care providers rip (2+ / 0-)
      VClib, wilderness voice

off the Canadian system all the time. Any single-payer system is going to be very large, and that means that bad actors will have opportunities to steal. This case is certainly NOT a good argument for universal government-paid healthcare.

•  Each province has its own budget (0+ / 0-)

and priorities list. Canada only has about 40 million people  — divided into provinces. I have not come across problems with ripoffs and I've looked.

There is far more social cohesion in Canada.

by samddobermann on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 06:05:13 AM PDT