View Diary: Michigan doctor arrested for purposely misdiagnosing cancer (299 comments)

•  There are some programs that will subsidize (5+ / 0-)

medical school if you commit to be a doctor in a rural area for certain number of years. At least they exist in some states.

•  Good deal.... (1+ / 0-)
      FG

I had a family member a few years ago who wanted to be a doctor. I suggested he look into the military, so that he wouldn't be saddled with debt. These are very honorable ways of becoming a doctor and providing service as well. I am in favor.

•  egads! Ever been treated by a military doctor? (0+ / 0-)

The main advertisement for the military medical program is the Ferres Doctrine. That means no malpractice from all us little grunt-guinea-pigs you get to stick.

Good military doctors go to officers and congressmen. The rest-well they go to the rest of us.

Not fun or fair but there it is. If one can I would say, take the rural internship over the military, until the military can straighten it's shit out.

Gentlemen, congratulations. You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training (Zed, MIB).

by GreenMother on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 04:06:18 PM PDT

•  Um... (3+ / 0-)
          VClib, SixSixSix, andalusi

a friend of mine went into the Army after graduating from Harvard Medical School. Not all of them suck.

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 05:50:06 PM PDT

•  I almost forgot... (2+ / 0-)
            SixSixSix, andalusi

I just saw one, a career Navy vet, who trained in his specialty at Johns Hopkins. He was pretty damn good, too.

by Ice Blue on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 06:00:42 PM PDT

•  Like I said: (0+ / 0-)

And who is going to afford to go to either John Hopkins or Yale in my household?

And wow--look at that, the ones that don't suck out of reach again.

Thanks for making my point perfectly.

Must be nice.

Being able to see any doctor you want without worrying. What a world that must be like.

by GreenMother on Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 05:13:44 AM PDT

•  If you join the military they can put you through (0+ / 0-)

med school. Then you have to serve for a period of time.

The best doctors are treating the soldiers in the field. There aren't enough officers and congressmen who need the good stateside doctors.

That chip on your shoulder must weigh you down a lot.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 05:37:18 AM PDT

•  correct (0+ / 0-)

it's a true mixed bag though.

Some great, some mediocre, and a fair share of bad.

•  There are many outstanding physicians (5+ / 0-)

and surgeons who serve in the US armed forces.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 07:14:17 PM PDT

•  A bit of a broad brush (3+ / 0-)
          wilderness voice, andalusi, joynow

I help train military doctors (as part of a combined civilian/military medical residency program).

My military residents are a varied bunch, just like the civilians. Some of them are excellent. Top notch. Many stay in careers where they are taking care of the rank-and-file.

The docs I know who work at the local base are probably better on average than the docs I know working in community hospitals. The couple of retired military docs who are core faculty in the residency program are docs that I wouldn't hesitate to send a loved one to.

My sample size is small. It's possible that my situation might be the unusual one, and yours the more typical.

Just thought I might add a bit of a contrary voice.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Wed Aug 07, 2013 at 07:58:57 PM PDT

•  You know people used to say the same sorts of (0+ / 0-)

things when I talked about how bad sexual harassment was in the military. They found out soon enough that I was neither lying nor exaggerating.

by GreenMother on Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 05:22:46 AM PDT

•  I believe it (0+ / 0-)

I hope this isn't the same sort of case, though.

I worked at the VA for a couple of years and saw plenty of patients whose charts said MST on them (for Military Sexual Trauma). And we know that we only learn about a portion of the folks who experienced such things. I was often caring for patients at end of life, and the prevalence of PTSD (or things that looked an awful lot like it) seemed to be a lot higher when I saw MST on the chart.

I don't think my post should have been read to suggest that I thought previous poster was lying or exaggerating. I tried to use careful enough language to admit the possibility that my sample size was small and perhaps nonrepresentative.

I don't know how generalizeable my experience is. At ONE base, the only one I've ever had experience with (and then mostly indirectly), it looked like the care the rank and file were receiving was better than community civilian patients were receiving. I know it is better than the Medicaid patient were able to get. I think it is better than the VA patients could get. I was better able to care for my patients at the VA than I am now for my Medicaid (or uninsured) patients at the community hospital. The docs I've known from that military base are ones I consider competent, and some of them are really good. (I wouldn't talk politics with some of them, and I think a couple of them can be a little lacking in the compassion department...but I find that fault in civilian doctors too. I think that particular trait is a little bit worse with my military residents, but only a little bit. And there are plenty of exceptions.)

The plural of anecdote is not data.

by Skipbidder on Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 08:20:28 PM PDT

•  Well I would rather be happy than right (0+ / 0-)

However, experience[s] have made me very cautious about military doctors, even those who are now civilian doctors.

Someone says they used to be a military doctor, and it makes my sphincter clench immediately. When you find out that many of them don't serve a full residency, after having received substandard care, well--it will make you think twice about going to one.

Trust is a delicate thing. And medical personnel occupy a position of trust. When that is abused, it doesn't even reappear when you see a new doctor. And if that trust keeps being abused by different doctors, then the gig is up.

Bed Side Manner, Good Research, Patience, and Genuine Communication, with an understanding that I have certain rights over my own body goes a long long way. Without those things, you might as well be playing operation on a real body.

by GreenMother on Mon Aug 12, 2013 at 05:48:56 AM PDT

•  You paint military doctors with a broad brush. (0+ / 0-)

I was a military doctor for 22 years. I know I gave excellent care. I know most of my colleagues gave excellent care too. Then I went to work in the civilian world. I would say there are good and bad doctors in the military and civilian worlds, and leave it at that. It sounds like you had a bad experience with the military medical system, and I am sorry for that. But you cannot generalize and paint all military doctors as being the same, no more than all civilian doctors are the same.

"For we, the people, understand that our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it." - President Barack Obama, Second Inaugural Address, January 21, 2013.

by surfermom on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 05:53:31 PM PDT