View Diary: Democracy—the original crowdsourcing (120 comments)

•  Thanks for the link ... (8+ / 0-)

Look whose on Indiana's ALEC list ... what the h*ll?

Former Rep. and Speaker of the House and 2012 Democratic Candidate for Governor, John R. Gregg

Apparently we can't assume that it's only the Rs who are the problem.

I love this idea, great diary!

"Let us not look back to the past with anger, nor towards the future with fear, but look around with awareness." James Thurber

by annan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 07:26:55 AM PDT

•  wasn't Hillary Clinton an ALEC member? (0+ / 0-)

Is she still?

Help us to save free conscience from the paw Of hireling wolves whose gospel is their maw. ~John Donne

by ohiolibrarian on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 07:30:59 AM PDT

•  Link please (6+ / 0-)

I Googled this and came up with bupkis, unsurprisingly. How about some minimal effort to verify a claim like this before throwing it out? Your comment strikes me as trolling.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. --Mark Twain

by stlkaper on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 07:39:26 AM PDT

•  Original question was sent from my phone (2+ / 0-)

so I didn't do the research. My apologies for maligning HC.

Maybe I was thinking about her participation in prayer meetings with that group of Senators that had the house in C Street. Oh, and perhaps the questions about using ERM in evaluating the environmental impact of the KXL pipeline and her ties to a TransCanada lobbyist (see item 10).

YOU may want to anoint HC the next president, but I'm not so sure. If you choose to consider that 'trolling', then be my guest.

by ohiolibrarian on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 08:44:03 AM PDT

•  Keep it civil (3+ / 0-)
            stlkaper, jacey, ColoTim

No need to throw accusations around before anybody starts in.

I met a Black woman who had supported Hillary at a Fourth of July picnic in 2008, right after it became clear that Obama had the nomination sewed up. I didn't berate her. I sympathized, firstly because she had had to make such a hard choice between the first woman who could have become President, and the first Black. Secondly, I observed that she was in mourning for the Hillary campaign, with the obvious signs of anger and bargaining. She agreed, and allowed that she would most likely come around and vote for Obama in November. But she didn't feel it yet.

I expect to see HC become the next President. I expect her

To crush our enemies, to see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
            Especially Ann Coulter, Phyllis Schlafly, Michelle Malkin, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann… But not all of their women, because they have such a severe gender gap, and so many of the oppressed will be quietly cheering Hillary on.

I would far rather that than any of the evil clowns the Republicans are putting forward. I can hold my nose and vote for HC without falling into mindless adulation. I am aware that sho has major problems. Whom could we discuss who is better and has a chance of winning in the current toxic political environment?

Joe Biden is a possibility, if HC were to stumble. He is better on the Drug War, for example, but not on breaking Republican power in the Senate (He allowed Clarence Thomas to be confirmed when he had additional witnesses to back up Anita Hill and failed to call them) or on corporations, as the former Senator from Delaware, the most corporate state in the country.

Who else? Who would push hard for re-regulating Wall Street; for charging the full price for fossil carbon fuels; for labor rights; for single payer; for regulating guns; for public education; for breaking the gerrymanders and the filibuster; for removing perverse incentives from the tax system; for reining in the military; the MIC; and the stupidity [sic] services; for ending the War on Drugs; and for full employment? Who would bring the Democrats who sit out elections to the polls, and form another multi-generational coalition? Such a President would rank with Lincoln and FDR. But I'm not holding my breath.

Better still, why don't you Diary our prospects and your complaints for 2016, and we will hash this out together and invite everybody else in?

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 09:22:10 AM PDT

•  she did share commercial ties w/ ALEC corporations (0+ / 0-)

namely for example WalMart at one time, and apparently many personal associations (eg your TransCanada reference) but of course DC is a very small town I guess

however I think she smartly put some distance at the publicly available view (as did Walmart, they say)

Here's a list of ALEC corporations, it's hard to have nothing to do with it, even the average schmuck like me (eg using a Microsoft operating system ...)

ALEC Corporations

even ALEC is trying to rebrand itself, maybe a little bit, seems to me, that scares me ...

•  See what I mean? (1+ / 0-)
            nocynicism

If you bothered to take a look, you wouldn't have found any evidence in anything I've posted on this site that would support your next leap in logic that I want to "anoint" anyone the next president or even the 2016 Democratic nominee. But that isn't the point. Trolling is "being a prick on the internet because you can." Perhaps what struck me as trolling only qualifies as what kos describes as "dickish behavior":

Hijacking other people's diaries by dragging in meta fights from outside. I will actually have particularly low tolerance for meta hijacks.
            If you must know, I didn't automatically assume what you said was baseless. I was interested in finding out what the connection was between Hillary and ALEC. None that I could find. Hence, merely raising the issue without the least little factual support struck me as dragging in a Hillary-meta-fight. Support Hillary or not, that really had no place in this diary or, for that matter, on dailykos at all.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. --Mark Twain

by stlkaper on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 10:38:46 AM PDT

•  Where I come from, calling someone a 'troll' (0+ / 0-)

based on a single post is trolling. By your own definition.

Ignoring a questionable post usually prevents thread hijacking. Your jumping on it suggested a certain sensitivity toward the (I admit, unfounded) accusation against Hillary.

by ohiolibrarian on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 12:25:41 PM PDT

•  NO - Hillary was never a member of ALEC (5+ / 0-)
        eru, marykk, GrumpyOldGeek, stlkaper, loblolly

"Tax cuts for the 1% create jobs." -- Republicans, HAHAHA - in China

by MartyM on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 08:21:50 AM PDT

•  the vast majority of ALEC reps are GOPers (3+ / 0-)
      eru, marykk, GrumpyOldGeek

"Tax cuts for the 1% create jobs." -- Republicans, HAHAHA - in China

by MartyM on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 08:21:26 AM PDT

•  State legislators, not Congress (2+ / 0-)
        ichibon, MartyM

With few exceptions.

However, right wing Congress critters and revolving door thugs provide talking points and propaganda at every single secret ALEC meeting. AFP-funded brainwashers are abundant.

Most of the very few Democratic Party ALEC members are there as infiltrators or they've been sucked into the school privatization vortex. Arne Duncan believers, for example.

One letter to one of my local Democratic state reps was enough for him to bail out of ALEC and respond with thanks for letting him know about ALEC. But this is NH with its 400 state reps.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 09:49:04 AM PDT