View Diary: I miss my pootie (Updated) (72 comments)

•  Yes, and I have a story of hope to offer here ... (19+ / 0-)

Six years ago I had to euthanize an old kitty. It was very hard, as Boodles was the 3rd of 3 cats to leave me in 18 months.

Unbeknownst to me, the very day I let Boodles go, a family was giving up their cat because he was being aggressive with their 10-year old daughter. I live in Hamilton County, but several days later I was driving by the Humane Society on Michigan Road in Marion County. In my grief I decided to drop in to get a kitty fix by snuggling a few of the occupants.

And there was my beloved Runi ... waiting for me! He's polydactyl. He stuck that huge white mitten out of the cage and licked my nose when I opened it to stick my head in. He claimed my heart that very second.

Tagged with a "caution" tag, the Humane Society folks had determined that he was really a wonderful cat in a difficult situation. I was screened very carefully to be sure that I was could give this "problem cat" a good home.

Runi is the BEST cat I've ever had the privilege of sharing a home with. You did the right thing for your family and my prayer for Divi is that she will also find the right situation, too. My prayer for you is that your heart mends soon.

"Let us not look back to the past with anger, nor towards the future with fear, but look around with awareness." James Thurber

by annan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 04:39:55 PM PDT

•  {{{annan}}} (11+ / 0-)

What a wonderful story, and what a handsome poly! I'm familiar with the Humane Society on Michigan Road--that's where I took my Golden to "Polite Puppy" class!

I'm so glad Runi found you. You can see from the photo that he has a lot of personality!

The shelter person I spoke to said I could call in about a week and see what was happening with Divi. It's all I can do not to drive over there and sleep in the parking lot just to be near her.

Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead. ~K. Vonnegut

by Greek Goddess on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 06:10:22 PM PDT

•  Try to resist driving over (9+ / 0-)

just to sleep in the parking lot. I hope you wrote that as hyperbole, yet I can sympathize with your instincts. I am so moved by all you have written and her beautiful picture. And I hope you and she can transition and you can know she has a place where she can be sole feline and creature of comfort. Most shelters have personnel and volunteers to comfort and spend time with the animals, to ready them for home placement. They know better than to allow a declawed cat be placed in a situation where she is let out. (In fact, I was warned the opposite: that whether or not a cat was declawed, if one got it at the shelter, one had to promise to keep it inside; they live longer). We do not believe in declawing, and in our case we had no trouble announcing we wanted one that could move inside and out. The shelter people will read your letter and know you deserve some word about how she is doing. If it ever came to it (where I could not keep the two cats we have), I'd find a way to volunteer so that cats waiting for the "pick me" person to come along have some cuddling. (I cry when I see that cartoon ad with the cats saying goodnight to each other in the shelter.) Thanks for sharing.

•  Hyperbole, indeed, but the impulse is there. (3+ / 0-)
          annan, fabucat, historys mysteries

The people who work in animal shelters are passionate about their work and about the animals they care for. I know this, yet it's still so hard to imagine Divi allowing anyone else near her. I boarded her a couple of times when I went travelling over the years, and when I picked her up, the kennel people said it was the only time they saw her stop hissing and growling. This is what kills me. I'm not coming back to get her. And she doesn't know this. It kills me.

by Greek Goddess on Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 07:43:38 AM PDT

•  {{{Greek Goddess}}} (3+ / 0-)

You are right about the people who work and/or volunteer at the Humane Society. Wonderful, wonderful people who know their stuff.

There are many people who prefer to adopt an older, quiet cat when the time is right for a new pet. Trust that the right thing will happen for Divi.

On another note, an Indianapolis Kossacks group is forming. Click the link on my profile and ask to join. Hope to see you there!

by annan on Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 08:10:29 AM PDT

•  Divi & Pablo must be cousins ... (2+ / 0-)

I'm sure of it. Looking more closely at her markings, she looks like my Pablo's twin.

When I took Runi I knew I wanted a pair, so I picked 5 month old Pablo and told the Humane Society that Runi was a keeper but Pablo would have to come back if they didn't get along. Fortunately the 2 of them took to one another like they had been siblings all along, still sleeping together and grooming one another 6 years later.

See what I mean, although he looks a little schnockered in this pic ...

by annan on Sat Aug 10, 2013 at 08:27:31 AM PDT

•  Amazing! Wonder what Pablo's "backstory" is... n/t (1+ / 0-)
            annan

by Greek Goddess on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 08:30:41 AM PDT

•  He was orphaned and abandoned as a young kitten (0+ / 0-)

Actually that's another story of hope for Divi because the Humane Society took a chance and put the resources into helping him.

He had a severe upper respiratory virus when they got him. It nearly killed him but they separated him from his littermates and managed to nurse him back to health over 5 months. Can you imagine?

When I first spotted him he was under a blanket with just his eyes and nose peeping out. Every time I went back he was under the blanket, flirting with me.

When I got him he still couldn't purr because the congestion was so bad. He tried soooo hard to purr, a miserable strangling sound. They assured me he would outgrow it and he did. Now he has the loudest motor you've ever heard. You can hear him purring across the room!

There was something adorable about him that I couldn't resist. He's definitely the other best cat I've ever had. Loads of personality.

by annan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 at 04:02:03 PM PDT