View Diary: Summary: President Obama holds press conference (194 comments)

•  A lot of people FOR human rights think it was a (6+ / 0-)

good move.

Nuff said.

•  Because a Cold War mentality (4+ / 0-)
      shaharazade, WisePiper, tsk, schnecke21

Always fixes up human rights abuses, right?

•  Yes. (2+ / 0-)
        GoGoGoEverton, AoT

Nuff said.

•  When he's threatening to arrest gay athletes (2+ / 0-)
        joe from Lowell, GoGoGoEverton

at the Olympics? Yes, it's the right thing to do.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 02:38:28 PM PDT

•  Sorry, no, if Putin's freakishly stupid enough (0+ / 0-)

to follow through on the threats other Russian officials have been making, Obama scuttling the face-to-face is exactly the wrong thing to do. Like, "Obama embarrassed me on he world stage? He dared to show me up by cancelling our meeting? I'll show HIM! I'll, I'll accede to his demands!" Doesn't work that way in real life. The Cold War gamesmanship of refusing to meet leader-to-leader with your major adversaries is a failed, reactionary strategy.

The privacy protection of our digital data is entrusted to Booz, Allen, Hamilton, et al, and the President would have us believe, "Nothing to see here. Move along." FFS, these are the guys who hired and vetted Eric Snowden!

by WisePiper on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 03:10:47 PM PDT

•  We should be boycotting the games (1+ / 0-)
            scamperdo

As of immediately. They're threatening to arrest athletes. Even fucking Hitler knew better than to do that. Unless everyone on the American team comes out in the opening ceremony carrying rainbow flags then we have no place being there.

by AoT on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 03:21:40 PM PDT

•  AoT, I have great respect for your point of (0+ / 0-)

view on a whole host of issues, but on this one I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'm not gay, and I'm certainly not an athlete (Olympic caliber, or otherwise), so, admittedly, I'm not risking MY butt by staking out a position here, but to me it is unfathomable that Putin, authoritarian, homophobic thug that he is, would jeopardize Russia ever again hosting Olympic games by allowing athletes and foreign spectators to be arrested for suspected homosexuality.

No, if the U.S. were to boycott, no gays would be arrested, and the rest of the world would clearly see that our boycott, just like Obama's bailing on the summit, really had nothing to do with Russia's horrific treatment of LGBT, but rather was driven by Obama's obsession over Russia's refusal to hand over Snowden. (Yes, my fellow kossacks, in this instance it IS all about Eric Snowden.)

by WisePiper on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 03:33:26 PM PDT

•  I disagree (1+ / 0-)
                WisePiper

Both that this is about Snowden and that a boycott would be a bad thing. I doubt a boycott is going to happen, so we'll see I guess.

by AoT on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 03:39:54 PM PDT

•  Well, you're certainly right that an Olympic (0+ / 0-)

boycott is not realistically in the cards, but regarding the cancelled summit? I find it very difficult to believe Obama's motivation here is outrage over Russia's human rights abuses. Are we not the country that year in and year out sends fucktons of money to a Middle Eastern ally that chops the hands off of thieves and imprisons women for the crime of being raped? If indeed outrage is in play here, it is conveniently selective, don't you think?

by WisePiper on Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 03:55:36 PM PDT