View Diary: Obama's dirty dishes (306 comments)

•  "creeping through people's emails" (21+ / 0-)

That is, quite literally, part of the problem with the NSA.

There is something nutty going on, but its not a cartoon.
    It's reality.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 08:25:01 AM PDT

•  Except that it is not Obama doing this. (3+ / 0-)
      geejay, VickiL, Diogenes2008

Just as going after pot smokers is a carryover from previous administrations. Obama is changing things for the better, not worse, as the cartoonist is trying to imply. The spying is NOT President Obama's motivation.

Now, indexing data to get to terrorists more easily, that IS his intention, and it is my intention too. Wiretapping indiscriminately American Citizens IS NOT President Obama's intention. But one would not know that when looking at this cartoon.

-4.75, -5.33 Cheney 10/05/04: "I have not suggested there is a connection between Iraq and 9/11."

by sunbro on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 08:41:54 AM PDT

•  If indiscriminate wiretapping isn't his intent (7+ / 0-)

why are we still doing it and why is he defending it. I don't want to learn to like it. I want it to stop.

The power of the Occupy movement is that it ....realizes a fundamental truth about American politics… there is no way to vote against the interests of Goldman Sachs.

by orson on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 11:22:22 AM PDT

•  And you are (2+ / 0-)
        poligirl, shaharazade

the newly hired spokesperson privy to all actions?

Should we call you CJ?

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 11:57:09 AM PDT

•  No. (0+ / 0-)

Call me Joseph N. Welch, challenging all this fear-mongering about NSA spying, wiretapping, etc.

The so-called whistle-blowers typically talked about on dKos do not strike me as whistle-blowers. I respect Martin Luther King and Gandi. Their civil disobedience fits my worldview. The Mannings, Assanges, and Snowdens of this world are not my heroes.

Similar to most Democrats, I stand with them on:

1. Abortion
          2. Ending wars, and not starting new ones
          3. Legalization of drugs, and ending the War on Drugs
          4. Keynesian economics
          5. Drone policy, which I disagree with Obama on
          6. Single-payer universal healthcare

If Snowden never reared his head, I'd be a much happier person on here. I will never agree with those who think he did good things. Period. There is no use trying to convert me. For me, he and people like him are not a force of good in the world. So sorry that I must disagree with you NSA-focused Democrats.

Let's band together on the issues that we DO agree on, shall we?

by sunbro on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 12:45:52 PM PDT

•  I also agree with Democrats on: (0+ / 0-)

7. Marriage Equality, and
          8. Affirmative Action

I'm sure I will think of others that are also important to me.

It's a free country. I don't have to agree with the majority my fellow Democrats and the majority of my dKos comrades on every single issue.

But I will be truthful and speak up on issues where I disagree with the majority. And I expect that I, and the people I disagree with, will be treated with dignity and respect, as it should be.

by sunbro on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 12:57:44 PM PDT

•  You don't have to agree with me (1+ / 0-)
            shaharazade

on Assange, Manning or Snowden but I do hope you would agree without those three the canversations being had would not be happening no matter what the CIC says was happening. Hell appointed an admitted liar to congress to investigate himself man. Can you not understand that?

Yes we agree on all the things you listed, though little has been done on most of them. Excuse me if I don't excuse the fact that I am lied to about some of the most poignant issues of our times but don't fault me for saying so is all I ask.

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 01:21:00 PM PDT

•  I'm curious - and please be honest: (0+ / 0-)

1) Did you sincerely not believe that the US was collecting large amounts of data before the Snowden affair?
              2) Did you honestly actually hear Clapper's March testimony to congress - and believe him - or only hear about it after the Snowden affair?

Basically, are we actually talking about you being shocked and going from a person who never thought the government would collect data for threat analysis and intelligence on other countries, all because of the Snowden affair, or is it simply something to you that reinforced a preexisting viewpoint you held?

(And yes, I for one am thankful for the debate this has caused - I just wish some people - not talking about you - could be more mature and not treat everyone who disagrees with them as if they're a troll)

Já þýðir já. Nei þýðir nei. Hvað er svona erfitt við það?

by Rei on Wed Aug 14, 2013 at 05:35:39 AM PDT

•  Except they aren't (0+ / 0-)

The NSA isn't creeping through people's emails or stalking people.

NSA Surveillance Wireless Program

This 2006 article explains the NSA program perfectly. You don't have to like it. A lot of people were against the program in 2006--it's never been popular.

But learn about it minus the Snowden sideshow, please.

My husband isn't reading your emails. He isn't reading my emails. He has real work to do.

He does, however, do the dishes.  ;)

• Recommended (130)
  • Science (28)
  • Republicans (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Education (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Congress (17)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site