View Diary: On the false equivalence between "Obama rox" and "Obama sux" (295 comments)

•  Still waiting... (11+ / 0-)

for everyone here who accuses me of being "part of the problem" to defend neoliberalism as I've described it above.

Well?  Let's see your defense!

"Exxon’s CEO was recently quoted as saying, ‘What good is it to save the planet if humanity suffers?’, as if the future of humanity could be separated from the ecosystems on which we depend." -- Charlotte Wilson

by Cassiodorus on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 05:16:57 PM PDT

•  You're ignoring the obvious (4+ / 0-)

The fact that no one here has bothered to defend your strawman ideology is evidence that your entire thesis is incorrect.

•  No, it's evidence that you can't be bothered (9+ / 0-)

to defend what you think, so you invent arguments like this one.  Neoliberalism is not a "strawman ideology" -- look it up.

by Cassiodorus on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 05:56:36 PM PDT

•  I am not a "neoliberal" (2+ / 0-)
          Gurnt, sviscusi

and I have no interest in defending "neoliberalism."

Now, watch this drive.

•  I approve. (5+ / 0-)
            TheMomCat, poligirl, priceman, JVolvo, kharma

Here's my next question: are you opposed to neoliberalism?  And if so, how?

by Cassiodorus on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 06:04:03 PM PDT

•  I'm not your monkey and I won't dance for you. (9+ / 0-)

I have no idea why you're so intent on gauging my stance toward an ideology I think about approximately as often as I think about Norwegian trade policy.

I'm a down-the-line social liberal. I believe there are few things more important than stopping global warming now. I believe that effective international institutions are our best hope for peace. I believe that the heads of all the banks that created the housing bubble and destroyed our economy should have been lined up against a wall and shot, and no that's not hyperbole. I believe that Barack Obama's failure to go after the banksters has been his single greatest failure as president. I believe that, all else being equal, peace is better than war, but that all else is not always equal. I believe we need to institute a progressive income tax, but not before we confiscate half of the net worth of the top 0.01 percent and use it to pay down the deficit. I believe in diplomacy, and I believe that someone who devastates our ability to conduct diplomacy by shitting half a million stolen documents onto the Internet needs to go to prison for a long time. I believe we need to raise the minimum wage. I believe we need a single payer health system. I believe we need to ensure access to abortion services in every county in America. I believe that terrorism is real and is most effectively fought through intelligence means rather than military ones, and I really don't give a shit how many non-US citizens the NSA has to spy on to do it. I believe in unions. I believe that the United States is the greatest country in the world because we are a mosaic of ethnicities that all contribute to our national culture. I believe gun nuts need to grow the hell up. I believe libertarians need to grow the hell up. I believe that any system of taxation that allows Mitt Romney to pay less than 15 percent of his income in federal income taxes is fundamentally broken. I believe that Barack Obama has been a middling-to-good president. I believe that "Yes we can" is not a plan. I believe that anyone who thinks we live in a police state ought to go live in a real police state for a few months and let us know how they like it. I believe that anyone who thinks the NSA is intentionally and maliciously spying on US citizens is fucked in the head. I believe that the NSA requires much stricter oversight and that the use of blanket FISA warrants needs to be sharply curtailed. And if you were to ask me to rank NSA overreach among my list of concerns, I'd put it well behind ensuring that every American has access to clean air and water, affordable health care, a quality education, and the right to vote.

So that's my ideology in a nutshell, and you can put me in whatever box you want. But I'm afraid I can't be bothered to play your little game with you anymore. Sorry.

•  Well thank you for the lengthy post! (4+ / 0-)
                poligirl, 4kedtongue, priceman, kharma

I appreciated its detail -- especially for someone who says "I can't be bothered to play your little game with you anymore. Sorry."

by Cassiodorus on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 06:47:56 PM PDT

•  defend (5+ / 0-)

Defend a gobbledy gook straw man?  It appears to be a conflagration of neocon and liberal in an attempt to smear denigrate the people you attempt to attach the label to so that you can then ascribe positions to them that they don't hold.  It is all very circular nonsense.

•  Google "neoliberalism." (8+ / 0-)

Maybe you'll learn something.

by Cassiodorus on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 05:57:16 PM PDT

•  for shits and giggles (2+ / 0-)
          jan4insight, ballerina X

I googled it.  Apparently it was coined in the 1930s to mean one thing[strong state control of the markets to prevent the excesses/pitfalls of laissez-faire capitalism] before fading from use before spanish resurrected it in the 80s to mean the opposite where it migrated back to English.  Now both uses are sometimes used.  As I said, gobbledy gook.

•  You didn't read shits, nor giggles. (3+ / 0-)
            poligirl, 4kedtongue, kharma

Try again.

by Cassiodorus on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 07:44:19 PM PDT

•  wikipedia (0+ / 0-)
              Neoliberalism was an economic philosophy that emerged among European liberal scholars in the 1930s attempting to chart a so-called ‘Third’ or ‘Middle Way’ between the conflicting philosophies of classical liberalism and collectivist central planning.[1] The impetus for this development arose from a desire to avoid repeating the economic failures of the early 1930s which conventional wisdom of the time tended to blame on unfettered capitalism, and a simultaneous concern with avoiding the inhumanity of National Socialism. In the decades that followed, neoliberal theory tended to be at variance with the more laissez-faire doctrine of classical liberalism and promoted instead a market economy under the guidance and rules of a strong state, a model which came to be known as the social market economy.
              Is that what you mean?
        •  Actually I did just that. (2+ / 0-)
          jan4insight, Hammerhand

Because I thought I was missing something here, but I came to the conclusion that your interjecting neo-liberalism into the whole sux/rox genre just didn't jive at all.

• Recommended (131)
  • Community (66)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site