View Diary: Sorry, Mr. President, But The Affordable Care Act Did Not Make Insurance a "Right" (103 comments)

•  how much per month do those medigap policies (6+ / 0-)
    mrkvica, elwior, blueoasis, poligirl, Lucy2009, caul

presently run for premiums?

•  My Mother, Father, and Grandmother all pay (10+ / 0-)

around $150 per month for their insurance to cover the gap... They're each left with under $1200 per month to live on.

"It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." Oscar Wilde, 1891

by MichiganGirl on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 09:03:55 PM PDT

•  You also have to have secondary insurance (7+ / 0-)

with Medicare to pay for doctor visits and tests which runs almost 200.00 to 300.00 monthly.  Medicare that is paid for is for hospitalization, then you have to carry a secondary policy.  I think the medigap is for medications only and separate from the secondary policy.  Three policies to be completely covered.  It's crazy.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 09:29:41 PM PDT

•  Medicare Part B has a 140 dollar deductible (3+ / 0-)
          caul, zaka1, flowerfarmer

and most people pay a premium 104 dollars a month.

That covers doctors visits and most routine tests.

Part A is what covers hospitalization, and the premium is effectively paid by workers through withholding.

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 01:57:27 AM PDT

•  Thanks (0+ / 0-)

I'm on Medicare and just got my statement for Part B, the deductible for 2013 is $147.00.  I think maybe I pay a higher premium for B because I'm disabled and not yet 65.  I do know that they also deduct monthly from social security payments for Medicare and I think that is for Part A.

by zaka1 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 05:21:22 AM PDT

•  I don't know how it works when you're on it (1+ / 0-)
              zaka1

"Early" due to disability, but for people who are 65 and over there's no premium for A.

Usually, if there's a direct deduction from the SS check, it's for B.

Fair warning - I'm no expert on the subject, I just spent a few years serving a patient base that included a very high proportion of people on Medicare.

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 05:36:12 AM PDT

•  I use to be an expert (1+ / 0-)
                nchristine

since I was a social worker, but after a couple of brain surgeries I'm no longer an expert on anything, except maybe chocolate.  Plus, the rules for Medicare are consistently changing.  I use to have 200 dialysis patients to care for and I was organized to the hilt.  I even designed a patient news letter for our center.  All seems like a past life now.

I just wish things were better.  I fear too many people will slip through the cracks.  I'm happy for those whom will be better off because of the ACA.  But, I worry about those who are still unemployed, or could only find part-time work and half the states are not expanding Medicaid.  I don't know how social workers are helping people anymore, there are almost no tools left to help fix problems the way we use to.

by zaka1 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 07:22:51 AM PDT

•  Medigap plans cost *more* if you are under 65 (0+ / 0-)

and on Medicare from disability... around $250-$300/month. They go down when you hit 65.

I can't imagine that is because your risks suddenly become less at 65... More likely, the laws regulating how much profit insurance companies can make off these plans don't kick in until 65.

So with our wonderful US Medicare you pay: Medicare premiums, Medigap premiums, Plan D premiums, and whatever copays there still are for your prescriptions.

And that's the most affordable health care you can get in the US -- the coverage that everyone who isn't a 1%er wants to have.

Americans don't know how badly off they have it compared to people in the civilized countries.

•  Basic Medicare coverage costs most people (9+ / 0-)

about $105/month. Then, if one chooses, one can buy a "Medigap" plan to provide coverage for the 20% copayment that Medicare still leaves for many procedures. (Or one can go with a "Medicare Advantage" plan, which was not appealing for me.) Rates and coverage levels for the Medigap plans vary widely. Mine is pretty comprehensive because I have a serious and potentially costly condition; my premium is about $150/month for that IIRC.
      IOW--even Medicare isn't free health care.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 09:54:39 PM PDT