View Diary: Sorry, Mr. President, But The Affordable Care Act Did Not Make Insurance a "Right" (103 comments)

•  "forced into buying an insurance product" (3+ / 0-)
    jan4insight, sviscusi, Tempus Figits

Just once today, I'd like to venture into a diary and not find myself face to face with Republican talking points.

•  I'm not a Republican (14+ / 0-)

and never have been.  I do believe that this system being set up keeps the hierarchical system intact.  Of course label me whatever you wish.  I know this system won't work, I hope I'm wrong.  But, I was a social worker and worked in the medical system from the 1970s all the way through to the mid-2000s before becoming disabled.  And a lot of that was working with insurance.  Sorry, I just think the cost of everything is truly beyond what the average person can afford especially since 2008.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 09:19:05 PM PDT

•  For us personally, the cost started excessively (7+ / 0-)

rising about 2000.

•  I think there (6+ / 0-)
          chuckvw, Lucy2009, J M F, quill, caul, gooderservice

were really problems beginning in the 1990s.  I worked in an ER in Chicago and then later on in dialysis.  While working in the hospital many patients that were admitted that didn't have insurance (or Medicare) were automatically helped by social workers who filled out forms for Medicaid before the patience was discharge so that they wouldn't have a outstanding bill and would be covered even after discharge and for follow ups.

Then when I worked in dialysis, patients automatically with ESRD got Medicare.  In the 1990s if the patient had private insurance, it would pay 80% and Medicare would pick up 20%.  The patient was covered and then after a period of time the insurance would flip and the private insurance paid 20% and Medicare picked up 80%.

Then when dialysis' centers were being brought by corporations and privatized, it was all messed up.  I briefly returned to dialysis (for a corporation) and lasted about two months before I walked out because I could not as a social worker follow corporate orders to try and force my patients with private insurance to keep working (although they were terribly sick) in order to get bigger private insurance payments.  If they couldn't work Medicare took over payments eventually and the corporate owners didn't like this.  I got tired of compromising my ethics for the corporations that didn't have any.

And I think your right about 2000 is when everything went insane in the healthcare industry.  That is when I had to have my first brain surgery and was working for the hospital that did my surgery, it also insured me, and one week after surgery I had just gotten home and was called by my employer/hopsital and ask how I was going to pay the $30,000.00 hospital bill that insurance was refusing.

With sixty staples in my head all I remember saying is "you asshole, I work for you, it your insurance and the sugery was approved twice by the surgeon and myself.  Go figure it out."  End of story.

by zaka1 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 10:42:30 PM PDT

•  So if someone doesn't want something, and (11+ / 0-)

they experience penalties if they don't buy it, that would be... what? Forget what politicians might or might not say, what would a normal human say about that?

Actual Democrats: the surest, quickest, route to More Democrats. And actually addressing our various emergencies.

by Jim P on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 09:53:20 PM PDT

•  Well, that's the law. (9+ / 0-)
      "forced into buying an insurance product"
      And this:
      I truly hope you don't think that only republicans have issues with access to affordable healthcare.
    •  I don't ever (9+ / 0-)

remember ever hearing Republicans worrying about what the average person can afford.  Nor have I ever heard a Republican express compassion for their fellow citizens.  All Republicans have been for is if you get sick die quickly.

Perhaps you should get to know someone before you project on to them.

by zaka1 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 10:07:05 PM PDT

•  wait. "forced into buying an insurance product" (8+ / 0-)

is a GOP talking point?

but isn't that essentially what it is? we either have to buy the health insurance companies' product or we get a fine payable at tax time.

what part of the so called "talking point" is not true?

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ~George Orwell "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." ~Charles Beard

by poligirl on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 10:31:11 PM PDT

•  Wouldn't be nice to venture into a diary and not (4+ / 0-)
      caul, zaka1, flowerfarmer, Nattiq

find people defending Dolecare?

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 02:04:34 AM PDT

•  How do you define mandate then? (0+ / 0-)

Obama: self-described Republican; backed up by right-wing policies

by The Dead Man on Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 05:38:43 AM PDT